#1 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

After considering Lightning Source I decided to go with CreateSpace, at least in part, because they have a program to sell to libraries and universities through Baker & Taylor. Whether this program is useful or ever sells any books to libraries and universities may be a separate question.

As I am setting up my book I went with the expanded distribution option and see that I must use the free CreateSpace ISBN if I want to participate in the library/university program. I already have my own ISBNs specific to my own imprint, but if it make sesne will use the free CreateSpace ISBN.

My question is, are there any advantages or downsides to using the free CreateSpace ISBN?

Is the library/university program worth bothering with or should I go ahead and use my own ISBN number?

Any and all wisdom greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

#2 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Well, as a librarian lady... I'd say if this is a print version you are talking about... get a new ISBN. Any time you have a different format you need a new ISBN.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#3 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

Well, as a librarian lady... I'd say if this is a print version you are talking about... get a new ISBN. Any time you have a different format you need a new ISBN.

I'm definitely getting a new ISBN. I am just trying to figure out whose. My guess is that libraries don't ever really buy trade paperbacks through Baker & Taylor, in any case.

#4 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

I used to know more about this, but it's been a while since I chatted with anyone about it.

If I recall correctly, one reason people liked using their own ISBN was so Createspace wouldn't show up as the publisher on Amazon, etc. (I don't think you're allowed to use your own imprint name if you use theirs ... unless they've changed that in the last year or so.) Also, if you end up deciding to change printers at some point, you can't take the Createspace ISBN with you. If you have your own, however (and don't make any changes to your book that would necessitate a new ISBN anyway), I believe you can use it with the new company you go with.

If you're using a cover similar to the one you have in your signature here, I definitely suggest buying a physical proof copy and making sure you're happy with the quality. Createspace has long had hit-or-miss issues with the lamination of their covers peeling away, and it seems to happen more often with darker covers.

If I self-published, my plan was always to go with Lightning Source. A little more hoop-jumping to go through, but many of my self-published friends have reported higher quality, among other benefits. I'm not familiar with the library/university program at Createspace, but I thought I remembered Lightning Source including listing with Baker & Taylor ... if so, I suspect it's much the same thing. With either company, you would probably have to convince individual libraries/universities to order the book, unless Createspace has a bit more going on than that.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#5 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for your comments Jean and RC.

I have decided to go ahead and use my own ISBN. Libraries generally do not seem to buy many trade paperbacks and I am not going to be publishing in hard cover any time soon. I do like having my own imprint and it seems a shame not to use it.

So far the only advantage I see in using CreateSpace as opposed to Lighting Source for a trade paperback, is that books using CreateSpace are always listed as immediately available on Amazon while books from Lightning Source will be often listed as "Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks." This is not always the case and they often ship much faster. Nevertheless it is an advantage for CreateSpace. A small difference over all.

I did get a proof copy and I am very pleased by the way it turned out. So far, in comparing CreateSpace books with Lightning Source books I haven't found one to be better than the other.

Rick

#6 Brenna

Brenna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:U.S. and abroad.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Rick,

I'm in the process of getting my first novel ready to publish on KDP Select and CreateSpace. I opted to use their free ISBN.

Are you still happy with CreateSpace? Any surprises, good or bad?

#7 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

After considering Lightning Source I decided to go with CreateSpace, at least in part, because they have a program to sell to libraries and universities through Baker & Taylor. Whether this program is useful or ever sells any books to libraries and universities may be a separate question.

Rick indicated one reason for selecting Createspace is they distribute to libraries and universities. I understand that Createspace charges a one time fee of $25 for this service. https://www.createsp...istribution.jsp

I wanted to add that Smashwords also distributes to libraries (don't know about universities) at no extra cost.

Does Smashwords distribute to libraries? 
Yes!  We have two methods of distributing to libraries:  1.  Via library aggregators.  Library aggregators, such as Baker & Taylor's Axis360 service, allow libraries to purchase books.  Smashwords is working with multiple library aggregators, and is in the process of signing up additional aggregators.  2.  On August 7, 2012, Smashwords announced Library Direct.  This distribution option allows libraries and library networks to acquire and host Smashwords ebooks on their own servers.  This option is only available to libraries who place large "opening collection" orders, typically in the range of $20,000-$50,000, and the libraries must have the ability to host and manage the books, and apply industry-standard DRM to manage one-checkout-at-a-time borrows.  To learn more about these library distribution options, visit your Dashboard's Channel Manager.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#8 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Rick, I read this fabulous article earlier today that has an infographic which basically broke down the differences between CtreateSpace and Lightning Source. It's an interesting read.

http://www.huffingto..._b_2810092.html

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users