6 replies to this topic

#1 Fitz

Fitz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I'm unpublished.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

I've written a pretty solid Novella. It is 10,824 words. I am curious to know if agents work with novellas or if they cast them aside due to their length. Anyone happen to know?

#2 pdbecht

pdbecht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:see above. I have had about 15 short pieces published -both short fiction and creative nonfiction. Published in both print and online journals

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

It might work better grouped with short stories to equal a collection. Or be very forward-thinking and publish it yourself as an e-book. I don't remember seeing any agents looking for novellas in 3 years of reading guidelines.
Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead

#3 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

That's on the very low end of novella length and on the high end for a short story.

There is very little market for a stand-alone novella. Or even a self-contained anthology of shorts.

PD's suggestion is worth considering. You can upload it to Smashwords for free.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#4 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

I agree with Peter, this is VERY short for a novella. I have a couple of short stories near that length.

Another thing you might try, though, is to go to duotrope.com. You can search for markets based on length and genre and you might find an anthology or two looking for submissions. I'm pretty sure that 10K will still be in the short story range for many markets.

Good luck!

#5 pdbecht

pdbecht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:see above. I have had about 15 short pieces published -both short fiction and creative nonfiction. Published in both print and online journals

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

http://www.flatmancr....com/newnovella I found this link and thought of your novella. It's not an agent but it is a good journal

Diane
Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead

#6 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

I second the suggestion for searching Duotrope to see what comes up. You might need to shorten it just a bit and market it as a short story, or beef it up for a novella. If you do go with it as a novella, I'm sure you can find some smaller publishers that will take unsolicited, unagented submissions. A friend of mine has a novella coming out soon with Rebel Satori press and he didn't need an agent for that.

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

#7 Fitz

Fitz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I'm unpublished.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

Thank you all for your input and suggestions!! Very much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users