#1 AOSpare

AOSpare

Artist and Mystic Traveler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am a writer and publisher of public domain books. I have several books self-published and I am NOT looking for an agent/publisher at this time.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

I used to make a $1000/month on Apple's iBookstore. Since their lawsuit my sales have decreased dramatically.
I am trying to find out why. I guess maybe book buying from Apple was a fad and as usual things settle at the "most common denominator"
which is Amazon? Any ideas?
Would like to make your book look book-store quality?
I am a professional book designer using Adobe InDesign.

#2 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

It could be a ton of things. Such as maybe your book isn't as high on the lists now (which is natural) and so it isn't catching as many eyes. You've tapped into your market already. The algorithm has changed. Not as many buyers on iBookstore. Who knows? Put out a second book. Drum up some more word of mouth. See what happens.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#3 AOSpare

AOSpare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am a writer and publisher of public domain books. I have several books self-published and I am NOT looking for an agent/publisher at this time.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

I do not have "one" book but fifty+ on iTunes. One thing happened that a couple of strong selling books in German were pulled off the "shelves" due to foreign copyright issues. But still I think people do not buy the Apple toys for reading rather watching movies, and other visual interactive activities.

#4 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

I do not have "one" book but fifty+ on iTunes. One thing happened that a couple of strong selling books in German were pulled off the "shelves" due to foreign copyright issues. But still I think people do not buy the Apple toys for reading rather watching movies, and other visual interactive activities.

Clearly people use their Apple products (which are a far cry from "toys" IMO) to read if you were making $1000/month. Part of your problem could be your German copyright issue. You said they were strong selling books, thus there would naturally be a reduction in your normal profits. McDonald's would take a substantial, though not killing, hit if their chicken nuggets were recalled.

I also get the vibe from your reply that you take offense at the idea you would only have one book on the market. It's probably the lack of contraction combined with the quotation marks around the word one. If you did, remember that many people here only have one book out or are just querying the one book, and they may take counter-offense. If you didn't, then my apologies.

In any case, markets are in constant fluctuation and you aren't the only one putting out public domain books. As a former Nook representative, I can tell you that there are hundreds of people out there doing the same thing. You're going to have to do something to pull your offerings to the top of the heap. Also, Jean's right when she says the algorithm may have changed. How various ebook sellers calculate the order in which things appear after a user search is always changing to get "better." Unfortunately, sometimes what's better for the majority is worse for the minority.

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#5 AOSpare

AOSpare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

I do not take offense of someone thinking I have one book out. I wish it was the case, my book selling that strong... However, e Reading is in a constant flux. I own a sony eReader, an iPhone 4S, plus I have the use of my daughter's KIndle fire. I can safely tell you this; for outdoors reading there is only the original Kindle. Which might explain why my Amazon business is still striving while others come and go. I admit, I have not put new books on iTunes as there were some books I have never managed resolving the formatting issues with Apple.
It is perhaps me but I would NEVER read a book on my iPhone, not in a million years....

#6 Alys Cohen

Alys Cohen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

I do not take offense of someone thinking I have one book out. I wish it was the case, my book selling that strong... However, e Reading is in a constant flux. I own a sony eReader, an iPhone 4S, plus I have the use of my daughter's KIndle fire. I can safely tell you this; for outdoors reading there is only the original Kindle. Which might explain why my Amazon business is still striving while others come and go. I admit, I have not put new books on iTunes as there were some books I have never managed resolving the formatting issues with Apple.
It is perhaps me but I would NEVER read a book on my iPhone, not in a million years....

I recently got an iPad Mini and use it outside all the time without problems.  The #1 thing people use those for is to read books.  Also I've read books on my iPhone, both my 4 and my 5, and it's not too bad.  It's a good way to read in bed at night.

The big reason Amazon is thriving while others come and go is that they're building the reputation of being the online version of Walmart.  They are behind driving prices down, and so people go there first.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users