Veteran Hufflepuff Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some poetry

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

I have heard from MANY MANY agents that December is not a good time to query. Sure, if your book and query are ready, it 'should' not affect your chances. But December is when the (unhomework doing) writers send in their NaNo novels. Sure, if your book is fantastic, you might get looked at, but agents are humans like the rest of us and we don't live in a perfect world. Why make it harder for your novel than it already is? Some stats do matter and do come into play. It is like telling an exhausted worker to look over a report, versus a fresh worker. Any guesses as to which report would be looked at more intently? Query later. Your chances might get better, because agents are humans too, not just machines to churn out rejections or requests in a direct relation to the quality of the submission.
SC_Author on Twitter

and SCWrite.blogspot.com for my blog :)

I am blogging about all things writing and JK Rowling. I also divulge secrets about the craft.

Because writers are insane. Being a writer is misery. And, as we all know, misery loves company :)

#22 Brighton

Brighton

Radioactive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks RC, that made me feel better. I guess it's true that the only really good time is when you're as ready as you can be, and this happens to be when I feel that way. No matter the month I'd not be able to control the mood or what's going on in the life of any specific agent when they happen to read my query.
Ah and then SC's post has made me feel like Time is conspiring against me again. I just don't want to do what I did back in 2005, which was come up with every excuse possible not to query a novel I knew was good and ready, and then it turned out I totally missed the boat on a genre wave I would have been ahead on if I had actually queried. I feel like I'm ready now with this MS, and I'm afraid if I find excuses to wait around with it I'll always find excuses, and never do it.

I did see on #askagent on twitter that an agent said December might be better in some sense because it's slower. And my novel is obviously not a NaNo novel as it's 97k not 50, so I don't imagine an agent would mistake mine for a NaNo, (and I'd be some kind of prodigy if I could write something as polished as the MS I'm querying on the very first draft in just one month.) Now off to go give myself a pep talk, apparently I need one.
"The truth was that Jay Gatsby, of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his Platonic conception of himself. ...and to this conception he was faithful to the end." -The Great Gatsby

#23 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm considering taking a break from querying for now. I'm super busy between school, babysitting, working two jobs (even if one isn't a constant thing) and gearing up for finals, not to mention three radio shifts a week as part of my student program! I barely have time to write let alone query. Might be good to regroup during December and then get a fresh look at my query in January/Feburary. I shouldn't be quite so busy at that point, and can take another break when life gets wild again toward the end of second semester.

Though hoping that with Corviserio closing to queries, I might hear back on my full =). It's not nudge time yet and I wonder if I should wait an extra month because they were in the big storm out east...

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...rescue-me-lgbt/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis: http://agentquerycon...rescue-me-lgbt/

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#24 SC_Author

SC_Author

Veteran Hufflepuff Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some poetry

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

In the end, the little details don't seem to matter. Do whatever you deem best :)
SC_Author on Twitter

and SCWrite.blogspot.com for my blog :)

I am blogging about all things writing and JK Rowling. I also divulge secrets about the craft.

Because writers are insane. Being a writer is misery. And, as we all know, misery loves company :)

#25 S Jenan

S Jenan

Even my dreams are third person past tense.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Sara LaPolla per twitter:

"I will answer ALL queries sent to me before Friday [Dec 21]. So if you want to query me, do it this week or please wait until January. Thank you!"

WIP - Black Sea. It's not about the Black Sea.

Twitter: @sljenan Follow my ongoing quest to tweet that elusive 141st character...

Blog: The Slosh Pile More alcohol stuff than writer stuff. Wait, alcohol stuff IS writer stuff...

#26 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Is the hiatus a good or bad time to nudge? One of the agencies that's closed to queries until January has a full from me...and it's "time" to nudge. Or, is their catch up time and I should be more patient?

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...rescue-me-lgbt/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis: http://agentquerycon...rescue-me-lgbt/

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#27 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE and SCEPTER OF FIRE, Fantasy,Snowy Wings Publishing, May 2017
    Library mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in Jan. 2018

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

FYI -- Saw where Pam van Hycklama at Larsen Pomada is closed to queries until Jan. 7th. (I imagine the whole agency is closed, but not sure about that).

#28 D.V.Perry

D.V.Perry

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet, but I will be no matter what.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Oh dear. . . so for those of us who hadn't known about December being the worst time to query, does that mean that the ones we went will be overlooked or possibly replied too on a later date?
Trying to achieve my dream one smile at a time.

#29 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

If you queried before they said they were closing to queries, they'll still accept that query.

If they're not closing to queries, they'll still accept it.

Just don't send to someone during their closed-to-queries window. :smile:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#30 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Oh dear. . . so for those of us who hadn't known about December being the worst time to query, does that mean that the ones we went will be overlooked or possibly replied too on a later date?

I've seen agents say both, although I've only seen one [on Twitter] who said that your query will be deleted if submitted during their closed period. If you need clarification, I would Tweet them or check their website to see if they address the issue on there.
Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

#31 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Via John Cusick on Twitter:

Scott Treimel NY will close to queries for the holiday break starting Friday (Dec. 21st) (John corrects himself) tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 20th.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#32 D.V.Perry

D.V.Perry

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

If you queried before they said they were closing to queries, they'll still accept that query.

If they're not closing to queries, they'll still accept it.

Just don't send to someone during their closed-to-queries window. :smile:

Thanks RC. I was worried for a moment but yes I definitely sent my queries way before their closing dates thank goodness. I was a little worried with all the holidays finally gone that they'd either just start fresh or something lol.

#33 D.V.Perry

D.V.Perry

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I've seen agents say both, although I've only seen one [on Twitter] who said that your query will be deleted if submitted during their closed period. If you need clarification, I would Tweet them or check their website to see if they address the issue on there.

Thanks Von. I checked when I sent the queries out before but for some crazy reason I assumed I should probably send them out again because of the new year and the agents probably getting queries from a much of writers doing New Year Resolutions lol

#34 teralynpilgrim

teralynpilgrim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I sent out a batch of queries on December 3, not realizing a lot of them were going to be closed. If I don't hear from some of them in a few months, should I assume it got lost in the December madness and send it again, or will they see my query eventually now that January has started again?

I blog at A Writer's Journey

#35 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Marly Rusoff agency still closed per their website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users