#1 M. Arthur Stone

M. Arthur Stone

Aspiring for Ignorance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:1st Book went 3 determined rounds, but alas no taker. My second book, according to my agent, was too scary. My 3rd book, a YA, is going out on submission.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm not sure if there is an ongoing topic for this (if there is, please direct me), but if not, feel free to take a moment and tell everyone who your dream agent would be and why?

I'll start...

Janet Reid. She's a bulldog for her clients, she's snarky... and she scares me just a little. She would keep me from getting a big head regardless of how successful my book was.
"I have never thought of myself as a good writer. Anyone who wants reassurance of that should read one of my first drafts. But I'm one of the world's great rewriters." - James A. Michener

#2 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Top of the list for me is Kristin Nelson, but there several I would love to work with. In the contest I'm currently in, there's one in particular that I thought would be a great fit for my novel, and she resquested a partial.

#3 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

I had a few of what I considered "beyond my wildest dreams" agents. (I tried to make sure I never queried an agent I didn't think I'd be 100% thrilled to work with, so they all could've been "dream agents" in that sense, but these were the pie-in-the-sky, yeah-right, would-they-give-me-the-time-of-day agents.)

And Jennifer Laughran was one of them.

I signed with her.

So, your wildest dreams might not be that wild after all. :blush:

In Jenn's case, I liked that she specializes in kid-lit, is extraordinarily knowledgeable, and is also very no-nonsense.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#4 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thanks Lit Gal.  I'm withdrawing "my favorite"

#5 mammaMia

mammaMia

The fennec fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Hoping to add something here soon.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

Anyone who believes in me and my work and understands my vision for my work.

AWAKENED (YA science fiction) -- shelved

WHO'S THE MOST POPULAR OF THEM ALL? (upper MG contemporary) -- shelved

GUNPOWDER, SPARKLES, AND JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RUM (MG fantasy) -- writing first draft (Query here)

UNTITLED YA FANTASY -- planning

UNTITLED MG FANTASY -- planning

#6 ErikaB

ErikaB

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

For me it's Suzie Townsend. She is a fantasy freak herself and run the most amazing blog I've ever seen. But she's also super busy and there for only accepts out of this world authors.

#7 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:THE MIRROR OF IMMORTALITY series (YA Fantasy)- Snowy Wings Publishing -- CROWN OF ICE (book one) May 9, 2017 and SCEPTER OF FIRE (book two) May 23, 2017.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Anyone that actually believes in me and my work.
No luck so far with that.

#8 Nigar C. Kavlicoglu

Nigar C. Kavlicoglu

An engineer who loves to write ...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Theresa Park would be my dream agent.

I think she discovered Nicholas Sparks and she also represents Emily Griffin.

Unfortunately I've sent her a terrible query letter before I found about AQquery and read about how to write a proper query letter.

I lost my chance (I might have never had one but still one can always hope ....)

#9 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Just would like to point a couple of things out:

1) these threads come up in google results
2) publishing is a small business
3) do you really want to have an offer from an agent only to have him/her google your name or otherwise stumble upon the fact that he/she was not your dream agent?

Me, I think threads like this are not a good idea. Dreams change. People change agents during their careers. Why create a paper-trail in "fun" that could come back and bite you you-know-where?
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#10 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Dream agents do change. There was one I hadn't considered until she requested a partial as a result of a contest. I have since done some research on her and have realized how much I would love to work with her. You could say she has now become my dream agent, but as I stated previously there are a lot of fantastic agents I would enjoy working with.

#11 M. Arthur Stone

M. Arthur Stone

Aspiring for Ignorance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:1st Book went 3 determined rounds, but alas no taker. My second book, according to my agent, was too scary. My 3rd book, a YA, is going out on submission.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

Just would like to point a couple of things out:

1) these threads come up in google results
2) publishing is a small business
3) do you really want to have an offer from an agent only to have him/her google your name or otherwise stumble upon the fact that he/she was not your dream agent?

Me, I think threads like this are not a good idea. Dreams change. People change agents during their careers. Why create a paper-trail in "fun" that could come back and bite you you-know-where?

Litgal,
I certainly wouldn't want a casual conversation to become a skeleton in the closet for anyone on aq trying so hard. How do i request this post be pulled?
"I have never thought of myself as a good writer. Anyone who wants reassurance of that should read one of my first drafts. But I'm one of the world's great rewriters." - James A. Michener

#12 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Litgal,
I certainly wouldn't want a casual conversation to become a skeleton in the closet for anyone on aq trying so hard. How do i request this post be pulled?

I know that my moderating powers don't extend that far but there is nothing to stop you--or anyone in the thread--from "editing" their own prior posts and merely deleting the content.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#13 mammaMia

mammaMia

The fennec fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Hoping to add something here soon.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

deleted

AWAKENED (YA science fiction) -- shelved

WHO'S THE MOST POPULAR OF THEM ALL? (upper MG contemporary) -- shelved

GUNPOWDER, SPARKLES, AND JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RUM (MG fantasy) -- writing first draft (Query here)

UNTITLED YA FANTASY -- planning

UNTITLED MG FANTASY -- planning

#14 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

edited

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#15 WriterSteph1982

WriterSteph1982

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

Theresa Park Grand Central Publishing 

#16 LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am mainly a self-published writer, and looking to break into hybrid publishing.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

Any of them that doesn't mind hybrid, I went in wanting to self-publish less to avoid trade and more to build a fan base before going into trade publishing. Will take take a previously self-published work so long as trade published book has desired sales.

And of course, takes novellas. I know I'm stretching it there. Just can't hack novels.

Meadow Of Gold: Uploaded Fairy Saga -- Satanic Futurism -- Novella -- Complete

Simply Pace -- Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Beyond The Dreamer's Edge -- New Mainstream/Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Hemato Tomato -- Guillotine Western/Magic Realism -- Short Story -- Complete

#17 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:25 PM

Anyone that actually believes in me and my work.
No luck so far with that.

I would agree with this. Naming an agent in advance would be me deciding from the outside looking in. I can only narrow it down to some who seems to be successful in my field, and then a case by case basis.

Follow me on twitter @jointhebrigade1

Please visit my website and blog at: http://thelastbrigade.com/

#18 greyhound1211

greyhound1211

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Man, I'd settle for an agent who actually believes in me, And not the 'ooh-rah-rah' cheerleader kind, but just another adult who says, 'Yes, I believe this is worth publishing and I won't stop until it is.' Someone professional, treats me as an equal, and isn't afraid to go to bat when necessary. And who will back me up if I say, 'No, I'm not changing that.' Assuming it ever happens at all.

That isn't crazy, is it? O.o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users