#1 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

Just wanted to let those who might be interested know that registration for the 2011 Historical Novel Society Conference is NOW OPEN! http://hns-conference.org/

This conference, which will begin the evening of June 17th and conclude about mid-day on June 19th is NOT TO BE MISSED if you write historical fiction. Registration is limited to 300 people and the cost, as conferences go, is quite reasonable for what you get -- 2 dinners with guest speakers, a lunch (with guest speaker) fantastic panels, agent or editor appointments, multiple chances to network with authors, agents and editors who are specifically interested in the historical fiction genre. Heck you even get continental breakfasts. I FULLY EXPECT THIS CONFERENCE TO SELL OUT. The conference organizers have reserved a block of rooms at the conference hotel at a good rate (and they will go fast too).

I've attended all three prior North American Conferences (I have already registered for this one) and I've learned so much at each -- there is something for the writer at each stage of her/his career. At my first conference I was wrapping up my first MS and just learning about the business. At the last conference I had signed with my agent and was on submission for the first time. Yet, ateach of those conferences I found topics germane to my personal situation and gathered invaluable information. I also met all of my marvelous critique partners at HNS events.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#2 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

I'm willing to give it another try, with Litgal's stamp of endorsement. :laugh: Hopefully I'll have a book deal between now and then so I can pay for it. :wink:

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or to read free samples
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpgSmallCover_zpsa4ea36fe.jpg

#3 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

FYI folks the 2011 HNS Conference (San Diego, baby!) has just passed the 25% capacity mark in registrations -- in the first month! Here's that link again if you plan to go but have misplaced it. http://hns-conference.org/

#4 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

I inadvertently neglected to mention the keynote speakers for the 2011 conference. They will be authors Cecelia Holland and Harry Turtledove, as well as Agent Jennifer Weltz (a partner at the Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency. Equally important to most potential attendees -- nine editors and agents will be taking appointments with writers at the conference. Their biographies are available for review at the conference website and each has a slightly different specialty (or specialties) within the field (though all are very interested in historical fiction). The editor appointments are particularly a nice perk for those writers who are agented-but-not-yet-published.

As of the first of the year 1/3 of the conference slots had already been spoken for.

#5 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

I'm signed up and ready to roll! :biggrin:

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or to read free samples
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpgSmallCover_zpsa4ea36fe.jpg

#6 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

A little heads up folks. More than 50% of the spots at the upcoming Historical Novel Society Conference in San Diego (June 2011) are now spoken-for.

#7 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

With just about 2 months to go until the HNS conference gets underway in San Diego is time to start thinking about an AQ get-together on site. Anybody up for meeting?

#8 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

With just about 2 months to go until the HNS conference gets underway in San Diego is time to start thinking about an AQ get-together on site. Anybody up for meeting?

Sounds great.

#9 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

Cool -- that's three of us so far :)

#10 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

To costume or not to costume?

On Saturday night there is a "Historical Costume Fashion Show" scheduled. In the past I have generally ignored such things, though I note that a costume rental store is not far from the hotel. As I would choose to don a nautical costume of some variety, the cost would be not terribly high if I did decide to rent. On the other hand I would rather not have to worry about returning the costume on Sunday on the way to the airport, which would probably be a the larger issue than the cost of the rental.

Is anyone planning on dressing up?

#11 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,259 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

I say go for it, Rick! Then again, I'm used to steampunk conferences where nearly everyone's in some sort of get up.

Unfortunately, I can't make the conference. Maybe next year.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#12 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

Rick, I had thought about getting one of my old flight suits and my leather flight jacket out of storage, as they almost qualify as historical now, but I am still jumping through hoops prepping for the conference.

#13 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

I am still jumping through hoops prepping for the conference.

BELIEVE ME FOLKS IF R. LOUIS IS PREPPING A THING IT IS PREPPED! This will be one heck of a conference and when it is we all owe him a drink!!!

#14 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Litgal! I think it's going to be a great conference but to tell the truth, I'm looking forward to getting back my free time to do some writing. And some editing. And some querying. And some goof-off time here at AQC!

#15 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

The other option is the minimalist approach. I once went to a "costume party" at a writer's conference wearing a name tag identifying me as "Jane Austen, Mistress of Disguise."

#16 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

So we are a little more than a week away from our fabulous conference in San Diego!!! Two matters of business:

1) for those of us going (shout out folks)I propose an AQConnect meet-up, perhaps for breakfast Saturday morning or for a round of drinks at the open bar reception Saturday before dinner? Opinions?

2) for those not fortunate enough to be joining us I will be tweeting live. You can either follow me on twitter or keep an eye on the hashtag #HNS11 (the latter will probably give you other tweeter's input as well)

#17 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Litgal and/or RLS,

Somewhere in amongst the cobwebs of my memory, I recall signing up for meetings with agents & editors at the upcoming conference. Presuming that these get togethers are real, when do they they happen and how do they fit into the schedule?

Thanks,

Rick

#18 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Litgal and/or RLS,

Somewhere in amongst the cobwebs of my memory, I recall signing up for meetings with agents & editors at the upcoming conference. Presuming that these get togethers are real, when do they they happen and how do they fit into the schedule?

Thanks,

Rick

When you sign in at the registration table you will get a piece of paper telling you when your meeting(s) is/are scheduled. At least that's how it worked at past conferences.

We on for breakfast Saturday 7 a.m. Harborside Room? We can meet just outside and flash our secret AQuer's handshake.

#19 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

We on for breakfast Saturday 7 a.m. Harborside Room? We can meet just outside and flash our secret AQuer's handshake.

Sounds great.

#20 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

or the #aqc hashtag ... I don't know that you need to tweet your breakfast (ewwww), but who knows what bits of crazy or clever might be shared at a meal of folks like us. Have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users