Disclaimer

Photo

Not indenting paragraphs OK or mortal sin?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AOSpare

AOSpare

Artist and Mystic Traveler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am a writer and publisher of public domain books. I have several books self-published and I am NOT looking for an agent/publisher at this time.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

I am a book designer for printed books. I have spend years perfecting my craft. Many of the issues facing the book designer are
non-existent in eBooks. I also have expertise and years of doing eBooks but I do not see the need for indentation at all.
Indents help the human eye when there is a large page/small fonts but with e Readers as small as a iPhone 5 why bother with indentation? What is your opinion?
I know that the traditional font selection is different for eBooks and printed so why not break some rules? Rebel!
Would like to make your book look book-store quality?
I am a professional book designer using Adobe InDesign.

#2 WayneMeyers

WayneMeyers

Almost There

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

If you're submitting to an agent or publisher, follow their guidelines, or if not sure, keep with tradition.

The publisher will decide if they want indents or not.

Say hi, I'm always willing to help or share ideas.

Please follow me. Links to Facebook and Twitter are on my blogging/author website, WayneMeyers.com

#3 AOSpare

AOSpare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am a writer and publisher of public domain books. I have several books self-published and I am NOT looking for an agent/publisher at this time.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

I am the publisher/editor in chief in this case. I am writing and publishing chapter by chapter on Amazon exclusively. Chapter 4 is being edited in the UK as we speak. It is a fiction book. Second edition will be e-only available EVERYWHERE
including Apple's 50 country-wide i Bookstore. Kobo and B&N.
I would sell the print/foreign rights plus HOLLYWOOD! here I come... :tongue:

If you're submitting to an agent or publisher, follow their guidelines, or if not sure, keep with tradition.

The publisher will decide if they want indents or not.

#4 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

I've read ebooks that were not indented, but it was a bit of a strain on my eyes. Even with the extra spacing between paragraphs, my mind saw it as a single block of text. What I personally do prefer on ebooks is a reduced indent. Say, maybe 1/4" instead of 1/2". That way if I have to up the font for some reason the indent doesn't take up so much of the line, and if I reduce the font there's still something there to break up the text.

Does that makes sense? I haven't had my vitamins yet, so I feel a little cloudy.

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#5 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

AOS, the thing to remember is that not everyone is reading the eBook on something as small as an iPhone. Plenty are reading on tablets or e-ink type e-readers, which have screen sizes roughly equivalent to (or even larger than) a printed page.

I would always go with indented paragraphs. Like Leigh said, you might indent slightly less than you would normally (but whether that's measured in inches or something else depends on how you create your eBook files).

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#6 AOSpare

AOSpare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Good point! Thanks!
I suspect, most soft covers will cease to exist in a decade or two - to be replaced by eBooks or hardcover, collectors, libraries etc. Maybe this will take more than a decade but not more than two (I hope). This saves TREEs! :)
A real book will be a "luxury" item, think about that!

AOS, the thing to remember is that not everyone is reading the eBook on something as small as an iPhone. Plenty are reading on tablets or e-ink type e-readers, which have screen sizes roughly equivalent to (or even larger than) a printed page.

I would always go with indented paragraphs. Like Leigh said, you might indent slightly less than you would normally (but whether that's measured in inches or something else depends on how you create your eBook files).

#7 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Just don't indent that first paragraph (of a chapter).
Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

#8 AOSpare

AOSpare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I would NEVER do THAT! :blink:

Just don't indent that first paragraph (of a chapter).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users