#1 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Came across this post and thought it was great, especially if you have a book to promote. http://www.thebookde...rances-caballo/

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#2 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Great post Cali.

I’d be interested in hearing whether anyone has had success marketing their book on twitter with hashtags. I see plenty of authors doing this but don’t know if the strategy works.

Some things to consider are:

Excessive self-promotion might annoy your followers. So, how many self-promoting tweets are too much? One strategy is to setup a second (a perceived third-party) account that tweets yours and other authors' books.

Make sure your hashtags are getting indexed. Twitter does not index all tweets. This means some tweets won’t appear when searching for (or clicking on) a hashtag. Tweets containing hastags and links might be invisible to anyone that doesn’t follow you – making the hashtags useless. I have seen this happen on several accounts. If you tweet several promo tweets per day, double check they are getting indexed. Why do some tweets not make it into search? Twitter doesn’t say exactly. Not having enough followers, not enough tweets, and other factors determine this. You can check whether your hashtag/link tweets are getting indexed by typing from:myname in twitter search (where myname is your twitter handle). Compare this list with the list of tweets on your home page. Even if your tweets get indexed, there are filters. Default hashtag searches to show “top” tweets. Your message might not appear in this list. Try expanding the search to “All”.

Twitter will also promote your tweet and charge for click-thrus. This works in a similar manner to Google Adwords where the click-thru rate is determine by bid. Twitter has been sending out $100 promo credits recently.

Evaluating performance. Are people clicking on your link? There are several ways to monitor this. Here’s one free method:
Set up a bit.ly account and tweet links that you have shortened with that account. You can also configure Tweetdeck to use your bitly account to shorten. You will be able to see stats (on bitly) showing number of clicks, location, platform, referrer etc. This works for Facebook and anywhere else you post links.

Any other tips or suggestions?

#3 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

That's GREAT info, Paul!!! Thanks!! I'll have to keep all that in mind as I get back to tweeting. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#4 Lori Sjoberg

Lori Sjoberg

Resident pain in the rear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:GRAVE INTENTIONS, GRAVE DESTINATIONS, and GRAVE VENGEANCE are now available from Kensington Publishing.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Great info, Cali & Paul. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users