7 replies to this topic

#1 TJ Askren

TJ Askren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories in "Common Lives" and in "Frighten the Horses."

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

“Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.” -- Clementine Paddleford

Jodi Keane wishes she knew who her father was while Melanie Byron wishes she could have any father but her own.

Growing Wishbones is the story of two young women, living very different lives, unknown to one another until the skeletons in their respective closets begin tumbling out.

The only thing missing from Jodi Keane's life is a father. She is the only child of single working mother and imagines her unknown father was a war hero. She begins her story when she starts pressing her mother for the truth about where she came from. With the close bond she has with her mother and the loving support of her gay uncle and his partner, Jodi tells her own tale about growing up in conservative Cincinnati, becoming a nurse, and coming to terms with her own sexuality.

Melanie Byron is a daughter of a proud Appalachian family with a long history of devaluing their females while venerating their brothers. She quickly learns her place, but the consequences of her abusive father instill a profound sense of worthlessness and put her on a road to self-destruction. When she is at her lowest point, a childhood friend persuades her to move to California and helps her to pick up the pieces of her broken life.

The novel incorporates local and world events and politics with the lives of the characters and also deals with subjects that many readers may experience in their own lives: suicide, adoption, miscarriage, single-parenting, the medical profession, racism, sexual abuse, and sexual orientation.

Growing Wishbones is a 106,000 word novel about families, real and imagined, but concludes that a true family is not a combination of blood, but a union of hearts.

I have been a critical care and emergency Registered Nurse for 27 years. I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and have lived in Florida, California, and most recently, Ashland, Oregon. I have published short stories in Common Lives and Frighten the Horses. Growing Wishbones is my first novel.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.
Wielding pens and needles for 27 years. TJ Askren:@tjaskren;Homepage

#2 layinda

layinda

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

This doesn't follow the frequently recommended three paragraph format, but I think it's good and I would send out a few to see how it goes.

#3 gaius

gaius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

I immediately like this. There are a few bumps, but overall, a good start. I'll watch to see how you progress.

Congrats,

Gaius

#4 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

You might want to add a sentence to hint at how the two women end up connecting. You don't need to give it away, just something to back up your statement about the skeletons tumbling out of the closet.

To shorten the query and not lose anything, I think you could ditch the paragraph about world events and common denominators.

I'm not sure you've convinced me that this story is different/better than others about women from abusive or neglected backgrounds.

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or to read free samples
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpgSmallCover_zpsa4ea36fe.jpg

#5 TJ Askren

TJ Askren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories in "Common Lives" and in "Frighten the Horses."

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

Not sure how to add revision.

#6 TJ Askren

TJ Askren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

I have revised:

We all wish, at one time or another, that our lives could be different.

In GROWING WISHBONES, the only thing missing from Jodi Keane's life is a father. She is the only child of single working mother and imagines her unknown father was a war hero. She begins her story when she starts pressing her mother for the truth about where she came from. With the close bond she has with her mother and the loving support of her gay uncle and his partner, Jodi tells her own tale about growing up in conservative Cincinnati, becoming a nurse, and coming to terms with her own sexuality.

Melanie Byron is a daughter of a proud Appalachian family with a long history of devaluing their females while venerating their brothers. She quickly learns her place, but the consequences of her abusive father instill a profound sense of worthlessness and put her on a road to self-destruction. When she is at her lowest point, a childhood friend persuades her to move to California and helps her to pick up the pieces of her broken life.

Through the 1960s to the end of the 20th century, adoption, sexual abuse, single parenthood, miscarriage, suicide, medicine, racism, and sexual orientation are woven into GROWING WISHBONES, a completed 106,000 word family saga/literary novel, shows that a true family is not a combining of bloodlines, but a union of hearts.

I have been a critical care and emergency Registered Nurse for 27 years. I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and have lived in Florida, California, and most recently, Ashland, Oregon. I have published short stories in Common Lives and Frighten the Horses. GROWING WISHBONES is my first novel.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

#7 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

I think you have shortened this nicely and thereby made it a lot clearer. I like the idea. Your query definitely has a literary voice. Why not send it out to a few 'test' subjects and see what your response rate is. :wink: Good luck.

#8 Pat Megahey

Pat Megahey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

This sounds like a book I would read, and I love the title. I think the revision is good, but it's not clear that your two main characters are connected in any way. I'm not sure if that matters in your query or not. Best of luck, Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users