Ellis Blake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Hello,

I have an idea for a story, but am unsure if I should go through with it. It leans toward a literary style but contains fantastical rather than everyday life elements. The premise being that a man meets an immortal woman claiming to be fate itself and falls in love with her. Sounds like some typical fantasy romance, right? However, the man is oblivious to the woman's sociopathic nature. Not only that, the woman is actually a scientist who discovered immortality and eventually went insane from watching the universe destroy and recreate itself over and over again. It's not one of those stories where someone's psychological issues just disappear because someone falls in love with them, but an in depth look at how immortality could effect a person's psyche and the people around them.

Is it alright to trick the audience about what they're reading, aside from common plot twists? Or would it alienate the audience? 

#2 megsue

megsue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I think this could be really great! As someone who is completely unsure into which genre her novel falls, I'd say go with your idea. If you want to trick the audience, make sure it's not out of the blue. Foreshadowing, even if super subtle, is better than suddenly dropping something on your reader that she would never have expected. It brings the reader out of the story and makes them resentful. I've had it happen on more than one occasion. That said, if you do it deftly, I could see this story being really intriguing and unique. Go for it!

#3 Charlee Vale

Charlee Vale

I love tea.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My short story 'A Gift of Roses' appears in Elephant Bookshelf Press' new anthology Winter's Regret. (Mar. 2014)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I would say don't really worry about the audience while you're writing. Write for YOU. If you do that, you'll be much more happy with your work, trust me. 

So that being said, if you love this idea then write it!

CV

"My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears. And true plain hearts do in the faces rest. Where can we find two better hemispheres? Without sharpe North, without declining west. Whatever dies was not mix'd equally. If our two loves be one and thou and I love so alike, that none can slacken, none can die." --John Donne

#4 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of a five book cozy mystery series -- the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series -- with Crooked Lane Books. Books one, two, and three out now. New mystery series -- the Booklovers B&B series -- contracted with Crooked Lane for future publication.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Sounds like this could fall into the "magical realism" genre.

#5 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I think folks who read Dunsany and Tolkien know fantasy may always be character driven.  Go for it.

#6 Ellis Blake

Ellis Blake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thank you so much for the replies, every one. They really helped me quite a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users