#1 megsue

megsue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Okay guys, I'm stressing out here. I've just finished my first novel, but I have no idea what genre it is. Originally I figured it was fantasy, but if it is, I've no idea what sub-genre it would fall into. 

Basically we've got a SORT of fantasy setting: a city in a world that's not ours, but is very reminiscent of Regency England. There are tailcoats and masked balls, that sort of thing. But in the city it's always winter, and high society spends its time going to parties and watching musicians perform. The protagonist is one of these musicians, and has the Gift, which enables her to control the movements of small clockwork devices. When she performs, she makes seven clockwork hummingbirds fly around. And I have to mention that there is a pretty substantial romantic sub-plot, along with an assassination attempt, a duel, and lots of dialogue. 

If this were set in OUR world I'd say it was Regency Romance or Historical Fantasy, but it's not. It's not high fantasy or urban fantasy, however. Really the only fantasy elements are the setting, and the fact that music can make clockwork animals dance around. 

Thoughts?? I'm totally confused as to how I should present my manuscript. A big inspiration of mine is the book Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner, as well as the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, but I'd say my novel is closer to Swordspoint in its sort of fantasy/non-fantasy-ness though. And it's not quite steamy enough to be Steampunk (haha). Help! I'm so lost.

#2 Charlee Vale

Charlee Vale

I love tea.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My short story 'A Gift of Roses' appears in Elephant Bookshelf Press' new anthology Winter's Regret. (Mar. 2014)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Actually your novel does sound quite Steampunk to me!

A good indication of what genre your novel is is where you imagine it placed in a bookstore. Do you imagine it shelved in the romance section? Fantasy? Historical fiction? Once you decide that you'll be a lot closer to figuring it out.

All things said though, I still say Historical Fantasy would be a pretty good fit. 

CV

"My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears. And true plain hearts do in the faces rest. Where can we find two better hemispheres? Without sharpe North, without declining west. Whatever dies was not mix'd equally. If our two loves be one and thou and I love so alike, that none can slacken, none can die." --John Donne

#3 megsue

megsue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thanks! I think it has a definite Steampunk vibe but doesn't quite fit the requirements of the genre? If anything I feel like it's Mannerpunk (http://en.wikipedia....tasy_of_manners) but that's such an obscure sub-genre that nobody has heard of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users