10 replies to this topic

#1 thexman30

thexman30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Circle-Lollipop-ebook/dp/B00952MH78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359534879&sr=8-1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Okay here goes. I have been writing for a while now and my book is set in Africa. 

I have explored this forum and found nothing quite like what I am working on and so no critique partner at the moment. Would anyone have an idea what genre my MS falls into? and anyone around writing something similar? 

Below is an excerpt of the a query letter ( a draft). 

In the dark early morning of a West African day, Maria Aliman faces a dilemma – to open the window for a fugitive; a treasonable offence punishable by the firing squad, or to keep him locked out knowing it would mean his death, she chooses the former and It triggers a series of events that leads to her son’s (prisoner of war) escape.

Maria does not worry about the mad general, nor is she bothered by his decree - making the Baojis second class citizens thus courting a civil war. Her main worry is her pretty maid who has caught the eyes of her son and her husband. She becomes vigilant, watching the girl’s every step. And eventually spots the tell-tale of pregnancy.

Both men accuse each other and Maria’s home is ripped apart. Rather than face up to his father, her son runs from home to join the army. A civil war starts and in time he is captured prisoner of war. Things get worse; her husband is implicated in a coup, tried, convicted and executed. She is left with one relative – the unborn baby in the maid’s womb.

But the rebels invade the city, raping, plundering and murdering. It is more than the pregnant maid can bear. She dies giving birth.  

The general’s army retake the city and the rebels flee. But not before many of them are slaughtered in the streets. One of them finds his way to Maria’s window and begs to be taken in. She obliges, helping him escape.  

The fugitive helps a dying soldier he finds in the forest who in turn rescues a boy about to be strangled by an enemy soldier. The little boy is captured and put in the same cell as Maria Aliman’s son.

Together, with the little boy’s guile, they escape. 

#2 Nila N Brown

Nila N Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self published two short stories on Smashwords and a short story "Blue Caladium" in the inaugural May 2013 edition of the Kingdom of Fantasy Magazine in London. I've also self published a trilogy, "Kurai Utopia," and a children's book, "When You Die, You Go To Mississippi." currently working on the sequel to "Mississippi."

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I have a question to ask you...are your characters Africans or are they expats from other countries?

#3 thexman30

thexman30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Circle-Lollipop-ebook/dp/B00952MH78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359534879&sr=8-1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Africans Nila. But one ethnic group are mainly half caste, descendants of slaves who had children for their masters. 

#4 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

My first instinct says literary fiction, since it's not quite action-adventure and not quite inspirational.

Is this present day or past?  If it's the past, it could be historical fiction... I think.

Whatever it is, it's a genre I'm not versed in.

That doesn't neccessarily mean I can't help, though.  It'd help if you could give some more information.  Your hook says: 

"In the dark early morning of a West African day, Maria Aliman faces a dilemma – to open the window for a fugitive; a treasonable offence punishable by the firing squad, or to keep him locked out knowing it would mean his death, she chooses the former and It triggers a series of events that leads to her son’s (prisoner of war) escape." 

However, all the other information you've given is only the events leading up to that.  What is the core plot of your story?  Is it about the fugitive, the maid's baby, the son, the civil war, or something else?  The plot elements are important.... Everything else is just window dressing.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#5 thexman30

thexman30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hi Eli,

Thanks for your response. Yea I think you right about it being literary. The story basically is about two people - the mother and her son. The war setting is the background. He joins the army and gets captured and her action (helping the fugutive) leads to his escape. 

What are you working on at the moment? 

#6 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Me?  I write mostly fantasy--medieval and urban.  I've tried my hand at sci-fi, crime, and romance, too, but fantasy is a jealous mistress. 

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#7 thexman30

thexman30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

First page swap by any chance? Africa could be so alien to you I might as well be writing fantasy ;) 

#8 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

Sorry.  I'm not really at a stage where I feel comfortable sharing.  You might check out the Want Ads section.  There might be people already looking for partners or you can put up an ad of your own.

Edit:  Ooh!  Just saw that you already did.

#9 Nila N Brown

Nila N Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self published two short stories on Smashwords and a short story "Blue Caladium" in the inaugural May 2013 edition of the Kingdom of Fantasy Magazine in London. I've also self published a trilogy, "Kurai Utopia," and a children's book, "When You Die, You Go To Mississippi." currently working on the sequel to "Mississippi."

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Africans Nila. But one ethnic group are mainly half caste, descendants of slaves who had children for their masters. 

Ok because I was wondering why your main characters had Eurocentric names; not that it's an issue but it was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the query.  I agree with Eli on literary fiction. 

#10 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

I would add that it's multicultural fiction as well. Many agents list it specifically in their profiles.

Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

#11 thexman30

thexman30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Multicultural fiction? Interesting. Will research more on that one. Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users