#1 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Found this great post on formatting your ebook by The Book Designer with step by step instructions and photos for each step.

http://www.thebookde...itto-scrivener/

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#2 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Aw, man. Where was this article a month ago when I was pulling my hair out with Calibre? (Actually, Calibre wasn't too bad. If I hadn't been familiar with html, it probably would have been a lot worse.)

Anyway, thanks for sharing this! Will note for future books.

#3 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Interesting that the author inserts the cover into the mobi flle. When submitting the book in KDP, the cover is uploaded as a separate file and added by Amazon during the process. I've never submitted a mobi file with a cover. I'm wondering if Amazon replaces the cover even if you include it. 

Typically the cover image uploaded to Amazon is much greater in size than the one included in a mobi file. Maybe it's safer to let Amazon figure out what cover it's going to use for which device.

#4 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Paul, I always include the cover as the first page-- more as a reference within the ebook, than anything else.  I think it started as a way to refresh a reader's memory when we were primarily dealing with the old ereaders that would often times only have the title, but no cover.  This way, it'd give the reader an easy visual reference to remember the book, if they were browing their library long after they downloaded the book.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#5 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yes, I agree with having a cover but my point was that Amazon automatically adds the cover to your book when you upload the (separate) cover image. And it generates the cover link in the Table of Contents. So, Amazon is optimizing the cover (possibly per device) from the best quality image (the one you upload separately).

I can't say for sure, but it's likely Amazon replaces whatever cover you include in your mobi file with the cover they ask you to upload separately.

Are you saying you include a cover image in your mobi file and don't upload a separate cover image?

#6 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Paul, I upload an image cover, and then also have a cover as the first page of my .doc. 

Cali MacKay

FREE

#7 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

So the question would be: Which image are Amazon using in the final product?

I guess you are not putting a 2500 pixel high image in the .doc

#8 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Actually... I think I may have. lol.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#9 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Cali, I do that too, but I'm having trouble with my Look Inside. It seems to take a long time to open - so long that if I was the potential buyer I'd move on. I assumed it was my cover on the first page that was gumming up the works. I used a compressed file but I'm not sure what else to do. I like the idea of it being there for the reasons you mentioned, but I don't want to give up the Look Inside. Has this happened to anyone else?

JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Has anyone on AQC actually used this method of generating a Kindle file yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users