• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Submission Reader for literary agency
    PNWA contest finalist

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I say give it a chance, Midnight. Start writing the new ms, not worrying about the age level. Just write what feels appropriate for the story. Then step back and evaluate.

Don't limit yourself. Tell the story (stories) you WANT to tell and then decide.

This. If you don't make it intentionally either way, then you won't be limiting yourself. I never intended to write Adult, but I when I realized the project wasn't going to work as YA, I changed the audience instead.

#22 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published, Amazon Top 100 YA Author

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

This is definitely what I'm going to try doing for my next project. I probably should have been writing "from the heart" all along and not worrying about audience, but I guess I read one too many "how to write a book" books that talked all about being aware of, and catering to, your audience. Well, I tried that. Time to try a different approach. :)

M.W

#23 Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Happily writing #YA (NOTHING BUT SKY, Spring 2018) @Fluxbooks. #PitchWars mentor. Co-creator of #sunvssnow. Proud member of KICK-AZ & AZ YA/MG Writers.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

If I can chime in for just a minute. 

I recently attended a writer's conference and their was an entire session devoted to sex, drugs and violence in YA. Editors, writers and agents all agreed that YA is pushing the envelope in all of these areas.  

MANY of the agents commented that they are consistently looking for dark, edgy, gritty YA.  So if you are shying away from writing something dark for YA, don't because the marketplace is changing every single day.

Check out my blog: Chasing The Crazies

Follow me on Twitter

"Do one thing every day that scares you" - Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users