PEART10

LGBT Fiction Writer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I couldn't find a lot about this agency, but since she participated in #PitMad (a twitter writing pitch thing in late January 2013) and requested something from me, I thought I'd share this 

I found this summary of her tweets to be super useful: 

http://twtrland.com/profile/ABLiterary

Also according to my research here: 

http://absolutewrite...ad.php?t=244095

She gives good feedback =)

#2 zenpicker

zenpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've had work published in such magazines as Colorado Review (I was the winner of the 2013 Nelligan Prize), Printers Row Journal (runner-up for the Nelson Algren Award), Bellevue Literary Review (Pushcart nominee), Cobalt, In Digest, and Turk's Head Review.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Anyone have updates on possible sales/clients for ABL?

Edward Hamlin

http://www.edwardhamlin.com

Follow me on Twitter: @zenpicker

#3 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

She requested an R&R from me, and her feedback/input was fantastic. She didn't offer representation after the R&R, but those changes resulted in an offer of publication and a contract from a small press after I entered the revised ms. in a contest, so it was worth it.

I contacted her when she first set up shop, so I don't know what kind of sales she's had since then.

Jeanne

#4 zenpicker

zenpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've had work published in such magazines as Colorado Review (I was the winner of the 2013 Nelligan Prize), Printers Row Journal (runner-up for the Nelson Algren Award), Bellevue Literary Review (Pushcart nominee), Cobalt, In Digest, and Turk's Head Review.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Jeanne - thanks, and congrats on how that played out!  Annie has been reading two fulls of mine (debut lit-fic novel and story collection) and she's been delightful via email.  Her comments on the stories were lovely and she's now into the novel. 

Was it the Tuscany Prize you won?

Edward Hamlin

#5 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

I was a finalist for the Tuscany Prize but was still awarded a publication contract. The book was also a semi-finalist for the Santa Fe Writer's Project and the Pirate's Alley Faulkner Society Novel Award. The novel made the rounds for a while, so I'm very pleased that it's finally found a home with Tuscany Press. A long, long journey to get to this point. However, the folks at Tuscany have been great to work with.

Annie is really smart. No matter what happens, she'll give you some terrific feedback.

Jeanne

#6 zenpicker

zenpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Cool story of the path to publication.  Gives hope!

Edward Hamlin

#7 zenpicker

zenpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Update: Annie just closed her first deal, a nonfiction business-oriented book to Perigee, a Penguin imprint.  Editor was Marian Lizzi.

Edward Hamlin

#8 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. Wish it was fiction, though...

Jeanne

#9 zenpicker

zenpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Me too.

Edward Hamlin

#10 C.Harmon

C.Harmon

King of the Moment

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

I had the opportunity to meet Annie last August at the Southern California Writers' Conference. I was pretty nervous because she was the first agent I'd ever met, though I had no reason to feel that way since she wasn't looking for the type of fiction I wrote and I had no intention of pitching to her.

Talking with her humanized literary agents--before, they all seemed like intimidating gatekeepers thousands of miles away. Talking with her also made me realize the existence of agents on the West Coast that I'd never really considered before. I just always thought (not seriously) that living in New York was a prerequisite to becoming an agent.

All of this information is anecdotal, but I just wanted to say that she's a nice person, and that she indirectly helped me, quantifying the whole publishing journey. I'd never felt so optimistic about getting published after I met with her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users