9 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Former chairman of ICM Jeff Berg, who left the company last fall after a protracted battle with other executives, will launch a new agency, Resolution, this week. Deadline reports the new agency has set up a Los Angeles office and will grow "to an anticipated staffing level of 35 agents plus support staff in LA, 25 agents in NYC, and 10 agents in Nashville" over the next six months. Among those set to join Resolution are book-to-film agents Rich Green, moving over after 9 years with CAA, and Shari Smiley, who operated her own outfit for the past year after 19 years with CAA. Resolution received more than $200 million in seed money from Najafi Cos., which owns Direct Brands (and in 2011, sought to buy Borders out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy.)

From today's Publisher's Lunch email.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#2 Alys Cohen

Alys Cohen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Wow.  Sounds like one I want to query, if anyone takes my genre.

#3 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Let us know about agents and genres!

#4 Anna Mack

Anna Mack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sounds great. Thank you! (Actually sounds like my kinda rebel.)

#5 ShawnProctor

ShawnProctor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Currently seeking an agent for my debut novel. I received a MFA in creative writing at Rosemont College, where I was nominated for Best New American Voices. My short fiction has appeared in Our Washington Pastime, Think Journal, Storyglossia, and Schuylkill Valley Journal, among others.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Former ICM chairman Jeff Berg has launched Resolution, a new talent and literary agency with offices in Los Angeles and New York that aims to shake up an established hierarchy of agencies in Hollywood.

The agency will represent clients spanning film, television, theater, music, publishing, digital and marketing. It will also provide financial and consulting services to major companies and help smaller companies raise capital.

Berg, who left ICM Partners in October, will be chairman of the new company. Longtime music agent and entrepreneur Jeff Franklin will serve as chief operating officer while former WME executive Laura Li will be its chief financial officer.

http://www.thewrap.c...esolution-75021

Very curious about this. On one hand, the company may be positioned to move a book idea into other media. On the other, it seems a little unfocused and it's unclear how strong of a role the publishing arm will play.

#6 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

(Merged the two threads)

Shawn, it sounds essentially the same as ICM as far as that goes, covering all forms of entertainment agenting.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#7 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Jean! I am going to research this new agency. Sounds perfect. Plus they're growing to have offices in the S.E. w/the Nashville division (only a few hrs from where I'm at!)

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#8 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

You can bet the Nashville offices will just rep musicians and lyricists.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#9 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

You're right R.S.  Prob just music talent there.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#10 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

L.A. will probably be mostly film. I bet NYC will be for us writers =). Either way, an agency I will keep an eye on!

Edited by Aightball, 30 January 2013 - 08:52 PM.

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...-urban-fantasy/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users