Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published, Amazon Top 100 YA Author

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

Jr. Agent Michelle Johnson has left Corvisiero Literary Agency to launch her own agency, Inklings Literary Agency.

Source: I queried her at Corvisiero and received a reply from her informing me of her move.

M.W

#2 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Dang, good think I queried Brittany Howard.

I hope I don't get in trouble for querying the agency twice but the agent I queried before did leave.

#3 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Midnight. Here's the link for anyone who maybe interested: http://www.inklingsliterary.com

Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

#4 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Cool!  One of the two agents is an orthodontist & loves thrillers, but both love thrillers.  Thank you for the info Von Angel!

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#5 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Midnight. Here's the link for anyone who maybe interested: http://www.inklingsliterary.com

Thanks for finding the link, Von Angel! I was in a hurry last night and all I could find was her Facebook page. :)

Krysten, I am going to send a query to Brittany Howard too. Michelle said in her email to me that I could absolutely go ahead and query Corvisiero again.

M.W

#6 Deborah Markus

Deborah Markus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I was the editor of Secular Homeschooling Magazine and have sold three short stories to horror anthologies.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

When I started poking around on her list of clients, I noticed a distinct dearth of significant publisher names when her clients were published at all (most don't seem to be). Steven Lee Climer's publisher for one of his books is "Team Climer." Sorry to be a downer and I know that all agents have to work their way up; but she *did* start at a perfectly good agency, and happy clients tend to follow their agents.

I love new Facebook friends! https://www.facebook...486612581351642

See me ramble on: http://readheadwriter.wordpress.com/

#7 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

When I started poking around on her list of clients, I noticed a distinct dearth of significant publisher names when her clients were published at all (most don't seem to be). Steven Lee Climer's publisher for one of his books is "Team Climer." Sorry to be a downer and I know that all agents have to work their way up; but she *did* start at a perfectly good agency, and happy clients tend to follow their agents.

That's... a little worrisome. I was more interested in Michelle when she had the backing of a large agency, but I didn't withdraw my query from her. I guess I will wait and see how it pans out. My current track record would suggest she'll reject anyway, so no point in worrying. Thanks for the info!

M.W

#8 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

I'm on Mid with this one. I sent a query to try my luck but knowing my luck I'll just get another reject on the ever growing pile

#9 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

If she does request, we can worry then. ;)

M.W

#10 Guest_Gina_*

Guest_Gina_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Thank you for the information, Midnight!

#11 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'm curious why all these agents are leaving Corvisario? That's three now, if I"m remembering right. I have a full with Marissa, but haven't heard back yet. I sent it in November, she went closed for the holidays and then they had a "clean out the query box" party recently. But still nothing. I'm going to nudge soon, but it worries me that all these agents are leaving.

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...-urban-fantasy/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#12 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

This thread launched me on some research that I found fascinating, in part because it reflects the great instability of the publishing industry right now.

Let's start with Marisa Corvisiero who worked in the L Perkins Agency for "a couple of years" before founding her own agency in March of 2011.  (About the same time that AQ Crew's latest new agent went into the business.) Ms. Corvisiero is also a practicing attorney in the state of New York.  In addition she runs a consultancy for would be writers, carefully explaining that she has isolated the consultancy business from the agency, (though I noticed on her blog that she seemed willing to rep some of the customers.

There's a video interview linked on the Corvisiero website which can tell you a lot about how she worked.  The folks in her agency appear to be very much a part of a team effort.  A submission to one is considered a submission to all.  I find myself wondering how well they were paid.

I couldn't spot any best sellers in their list.  If you click on an individual agent and then click on "Deals and Releases" you will see the same releases for every agent...

If that's all there is there wasn't so much money flowing into this business.  That probably doesn't hurt Ms. Corvisiero much.  She's in two other businesses, her law practice, and her consultancy where she has other partners.  I'll bet its tough to support yourself on the income of an agent.

When we look at inklings we seem to get some confirmation of that fact, since Dr. Drowley seems to continue to be an orthodonist.

Now don't be timid.  These facts aren't going to stop me from querying.  I'm just not going to hold out too much hope.  I will query Marisa Corvisiero because as the senior agent she is probably the best person to pitch.  I'll query Dr. Drowley because she also describes herself as an Air Force veteran and a military spouse (maybe why she had to leave New York for Nevada), and might there for have some sympathy for the military themes of the work I'm shopping.

My point is simply this:  There's quite a ripples in The Force among literary agents.  Sometimes this feels like gambling.

#13 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Very true, Tom, but much of what you describe isn't new at all. It's never been uncommon for agents to still have other "day jobs" much as writers do. I've heard it takes an average of five years to make a living as an agent.

That said, you do want to keep an eye on these agents who are doing "consultancy" or editing businesses on the side. Some have better ways of ethically balancing the two than others.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#14 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Lots of great info and food for thought. Some days I feel determined to get an agent, but other days I just want to throw in the towel and go for the relative simplicity of self-pubbing. Sigh.

M.W

#15 MichelleLJohnson

MichelleLJohnson

Caffeinated Literary Agent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:See website

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Hi folks,

I just wanted to address your various concerns quickly regarding leaving the previous agency and about our clients works.

There are many reasons for a person to leave a place, a number of them personal. We have chosen to take the high road and not discuss the details of everything that happened while we were at Corvisiero. Suffice it to say that a lot goes on behind closed doors that will never see the light of day.

There comes a time in business when one must follow the path they believe to be the right one. I felt I couldn't stay with Corvisiero. I have very different ideas of how a business should be run.

Every one of my 13 clients left Corvisiero with me, and I believe that should really speak for itself.

As for the self-pubbed titles on my clients' pages... I put those up there to help support my clients.  They weren't books I represented. I don't earn any percentage for that, but I am their agent for their whole career, not just the book I have signed and anything I can do to help them get the word out for their books I will do. (The exception is A. Meredith Walters' BAD REP, which I signed after she self pubbed, and just before it hit #20 on the NYT Bestseller list)

It says clearly which books I represent and which Jamie represents and what stage they are in at the bottom of each client page.

If any of you has a question, I am very approachable, and would be happy to address your concerns.

My email is michelle@inklingsliterary.com

All the best,

Michelle Johnson

Inklings Literary Agency

#16 Deborah Markus

Deborah Markus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I was the editor of Secular Homeschooling Magazine and have sold three short stories to horror anthologies.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

<stunned silence, then a huddle of whispering writers -- "you talk to her!" "no, YOU talk to her!">

(okay, I didn't personally huddle with anyone, but that was the visual I got after seeing the previous reply and I thought it was funny, so I ran with it)

Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it, and am sorry that what I posted gave an incorrect impression of your agency.

I also appreciate knowing that agents know *we're* out there, and not just the other way around. Although I really should have learned that lesson already, since one of my first rejections included a humorous mention of my Facebook icon and I certainly hadn't sent a link to it.

#17 MichelleLJohnson

MichelleLJohnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Haha, Deborah :)

You are most welcome.

I didn't mean to silence the room, just to reach out and let you all know that I am really easy to talk to, and I do answer my emails. Of course queries and such take longer as there is an evaluation that goes on, but I do answer everything.

There are some valid points raised here, and you all are right for looking into the agents and agencies you query. Google is your friend. And if you have any question about how the agent will represent your work - ask them.

Now I am off to look for your Facebook icon because I am intrigued ;)

#18 Deborah Markus

Deborah Markus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Oh, my icon is very boring now! But here's a link to the pic it *used* to be -- and the story of why I changed it:

http://readheadwrite...autionary-tale/

#19 MichelleLJohnson

MichelleLJohnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

And now I want that cookie recipe! I like the pic. I wouldn't be brave enough to put it on my FB page, but kudos to you for having done it. :) 

#20 Deborah Markus

Deborah Markus

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Aw, thanks! Yeah, that pic only lasted a few days -- I lost my nerve after that! Go figure I would put it up right before I started querying, just for the fun of it.

Here's that cookie recipe -- they really do stay soft for several days. I don't know how I managed that. It's like I was just puttering around and suddenly I invented nuclear fusion in my kitchen:

http://readheadwrite...-cookies-again/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users