4 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Looks like Amazon has an idea on how ebooks can be resold as 'used' books through their site. No word whether they actually plan to do so and whether it would include the bookmarks and highlighting from the previous owner (joking here--sort of).

Here's the article:

http://gizmodo.com/5...ell-used-ebooks

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#2 Alys Cohen

Alys Cohen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Years back Apple got a patent that had people up in arms.  It was for a system of ads that, to make sure people actually paid attention, would require the viewer to answer a question correctly to get back to the website they were trying to watch, and if you failed, you have to watch again.  Apple got the patent, but not to use.  Thanks to this, you can't be forced to watch ads that are a couple minutes long as used to be done.  You can shut them now.  So you can thank Apple that it's only in uncommon situations that you can be forced to watch an entire ad before accessing content.

Amazon may do something like this.  They get a cut of new sales.  How much is going to be in is at 30% of half off?  If another company does it, they'll make a killing with lower prices.  Amazon's taking the power to make sure that digital titles stay at the higher retail to make a higher profit.

#3 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Might be a writer's advantage.  We never get a cut resold books now though there's law on the books at least in California that any resold art is supposed to pay something to the artist.

#4 Alys Cohen

Alys Cohen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Are you talking about the California Resale Royalties act?  That's been on the books longer than I've been alive, and only applies to 5% of whatever a work is sold for OVER $1,000, the artist must be a US citizen and reside in California, and the sale must take place in California, and, the kicker, the selling price must be more than the artist originally sold it for.  This is to make sure artists get a cut of appreciation.

Only California has had a resale law on the books, and last May (may have been March) a judge struck it down as a violation of the commerce clause.  The constitutionality of any laws requiring a legal owner to give an original artist a cut of a straight sale has been challenged partly because this would indicate owners have entered into a contract they weren't aware of, partly because it means that an owner of a work can't be the true owner as long as someone else has a financial interest in it even if the owner doesn't realize it, and a few other reasons.

As this point, authors whose books are reselling for a couple bucks, or even a quarter as so many do, should have no expectation of getting a cut of it.  You get a cut of the first sale.

#5 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Proof I'm not a lawyer Alys, and I'm not surprised it was shot down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users