Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

So I'm at the wrap-up part of my story - you know, where your MC is figuring it all out - and suddenly I have a brain freeze. I'm stuck and can't seem to move forward. At first, I'm thinking it's because I gave myself this self-imposed deadline to finish my first draft by Christmas (which then got moved to the end of the year, and now I've just given up on a deadline altogether). But that wasn't it.

My problem was that I knew there was a hole in my story as I'd outlined it. I knew it but kept trying to tell myself that my readers wouldn't see it-only I would. Wrong, wrong, wrong!  If I know it before I've even written it, then, of course, the readers are going to see it. What was I thinking?!

So, last night I sat myself down and gave myself a good talking to, and came to the conclusion that I had no choice but to go back and fix it. Sure, in my head the idea/the scene was a pretty good one. Who knows, maybe I'll get to use it in another story, in another way. But I've got to stay true to my character here. I've touted my MC as intelligent and good at what he does. He's FBI for crying out loud. He wouldn't let the girl he's protecting - the girl he's falling in love with - out of his sight when he knows she's in danger. Jeez, what an idiot I am!

So, the moral of my story here is: If you see a problem - then it's definitely a problem that you need to address. Don't ignore it. The only result is a big loss of your time.

#2 AFord

AFord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:No publishing experience to date

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Well said, Late'

And appreciate you sharing your experience so others, including me, may have the wisdom to not repeat the same mistake. Hope you'll find a creative way to pull something together and keep your MC in character as well. Good luck!

#3 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Thanks. I've been going over the whole thing in my head since that good talking to I gave myself, and I think I've just about got it. Still hating to let go of that scene I'd outlined, but the choice to lose it is obvious, so in the dumper it goes.  Now it's time to get busy and write!

#4 AFord

AFord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:No publishing experience to date

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

That's the spirit! Way to go! Best wishes with writing a scene worthy of your creative best!

#5 Fer

Fer

Caution, do not feed!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published: The Order of the Knight and Blood Betrayal.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I've touted my MC as intelligent and good at what he does. He's FBI for crying out loud. He wouldn't let the girl he's protecting - the girl he's falling in love with - out of his sight when he knows she's in danger. Jeez, what an idiot I am!

My male character isn't an FBI agent, but is charged with protecting this woman and yes he is falling in love with her and doesn't let her out of his sight, but due to circumstances beyond his control, like a gun getting shoved in his face, she still gets abducted from right under his nose.

At first I wrote it that he outsmarts the kidnappers, but then I thought what the heck this makes and interesting turn of events and only adds to the word count. In short you are not an idiot as long as it all makes sense.

418%2BNxETuOL._AA160_.jpg 41Qo%2BM9WDpL._AA160_.jpg

#6 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

My male character isn't an FBI agent, but is charged with protecting this woman and yes he is falling in love with her and doesn't let her out of his sight, but due to circumstances beyond his control, like a gun getting shoved in his face, she still gets abducted from right under his nose.

At first I wrote it that he outsmarts the kidnappers, but then I thought what the heck this makes and interesting turn of events and only adds to the word count. In short you are not an idiot as long as it all makes sense.

Right you are. And this is some advice that helped me get over that hump:

Concentrate on the solution, not the problem.  In other words, start from the end and work your way backwards. It actually worked.

#7 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Curious, Late Bloomer.  Which writing tool are you using to compose your novel?

#8 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Curious, Late Bloomer.  Which writing tool are you using to compose your novel?

Good question, Tom. I guess my post gave me away for the novice that I am, huh?  And the answer would be none. At least, not that I know of. :unsure: You see I'm not even sure what you mean by "writing tool." I use my laptop or whatever computer I happen to have available and the program I use is Word Perfect (not yucky Word!) because that is the program I've used with my job for more than &% years and I love it. (I'm a paralegal by day and Word Perfect is designed for legal work)  

I have absolutely no training, education, or anything whatsoever when it comes to writing. Although, I will lay claim to some talent, intuition and creativity. Writing is something I always dreamed about, albeit in another form altogether. I dabbled in poetry when I was young but never really took it seriously. I considered becoming a journalist when I got to the age to start thinking of the future but never got to that point. 

My life took some drastic turns due to unforeseen events (caused by stupidity and ignorance more than anything else) just before I started high school - which led me to never getting any further than the eighth grade. (surprise surprise) So, I never even took creative writing in school or any other class that associated with writing. I can't even claim to know the definition of the term "omniscient" something or other that I see on AQC and other forums on a constant basis. 

I've possibly just brought a world of hurt on myself for divulging this, but in truth, I'm very proud of what I have accomplished on my own. I am highly respected in my field and have been for many years. I've worked hard and have overcome a great deal. 

Whew! Now that I got all that off my chest (defenses down, girl) -  I guess you'll have to tell me what writing tools I'm using, if any, because I have no idea.   :blush:    LOL

#9 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

Well I see it's been more than two years since you tried to answer my question, and it's very clear to me that I wasn't specific enough.  I assumed you were writing on a computer, (since you're using one to read this), and I wondered what software you used.  I pretty much have stuck with Office Libre which is a Open Source software suite thata imitates the products of Microsoft office and writes files that are compatible with Microsoft (so long as you strictly tell it to..)

A year or two ago I bought Scrivener.  Over in the self published forum it was advertised as a quick way to get a manuscript into submittable form for Kindle publication.  Turns out to be quite an interesting tool because you effectively write to an outline that you can reshape at any time, carrying the blocks of previously drafted text into the new location.  I had some terrible formatting problems with it though.  When I exported the novel to be a WORD doc it scrambled some chapters and made a lot of errors.  I had to copy edit all over again.

It just struck me that in situation you first spoke of here, it might have been a faster way to revise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users