4 replies to this topic

#1 Raziel

Raziel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:I haven't published fiction. However, I have published in my field (psychology), although I'm not sure how useful that will be.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

So, I've been working on a collection of short stories and it's come to my attention that book covers for MOBI files made using Calibre are no longer showing up correctly in Kindle for PC/Android/iPAD etc. There is a work around for this by changing preferences to "Enable sharing of book content" but this has the disadvantage of making the books show up in personal documents rather than books on the kindle fire and disabling whispersync. Has anyone come up with a better work around for the problem than this?

Note that the cover art still displays properly inside the actual MOBI file and when the book is opened using kindle. The issue is that in the library (where all of the books are shown as a collection) the cover art defaults back to the standard blue book icon.

#2 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I haven't been putting a cover image in the MOBI file. Try uploading the file to Amazon without the cover and upload the cover separately. Amazon will insert the cover and add it to the TOC. You can upload a 2500px high image.

#3 Anna L. Walls

Anna L. Walls

Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I published my first book through AuthorHouse. Since then I tried out a small one-man publishing company and then a mid-level publishing LLC. I have since unpublished all of my books from those companies and I have published them all through CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, and most recently SmashWords. I am much happier with this arrangement.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

That's the way Amazon did it for me. The cover was separate. Not sure what MOBI is though so my input may be worthless.

Find all of my books at:

Amazon - http://www.amazon.co...ls/e/B002E1FOBI

SmashWords - https://www.smashwor...AuthorAnnaWalls

Hope to see you there

#4 Raziel

Raziel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:I haven't published fiction. However, I have published in my field (psychology), although I'm not sure how useful that will be.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

There's a work around. It seems like if you start with an epub (e.g., from Sigil) then the cover page stays okay.

#5 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

NEVER include the cover inside your book when uploading to Amazon, Smashwords, or anywhere else. They have a separate upload field for the cover for a reason. If you include it in your document you run the risk of the cover appearing twice. Very unprofessional. Always upload the body text of your ebook and your cover separately. ALWAYS!!!! You want to look like you know what you are doing, not like an amateur.

Your cover should be 1750 pixels wide by 2500 pixels high - that's the proportion that displays best on all the sites and reading devices and meets the size requirements of all the sites.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users