#61 paladinpeter

paladinpeter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:One adventure published in Dungeon magazine Sept/Oct 1999.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

What? You mean that isn't how it works?

It's out of date though... 6-figures just isn't enough these days - I'm going to push for at least 8.

It's also good to hear that there's less competition now.

#62 J.J.C.

J.J.C.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

That is fantastic :D !!! Need more of these haha :D

*Presses replay*

#63 paladinpeter

paladinpeter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:One adventure published in Dungeon magazine Sept/Oct 1999.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Isn't that how we all start out?

Then we write a manuscript, do a little research, send out a batch of queries - and come back to earth with a resounding crash unable to figure out what went wrong.

Then we discover this forum and find out how the writing game really works.

Then most of us give up and look for something a little easier than selling a manuscript (something like climbing Mount Everest, learning Japaneese, building a better mousetrap or getting a doctorate in quantum physics).

#64 mmonikque

mmonikque

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

I agree

#65 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:33 AM

Mount Everest? The only way I'll get to 26,000 feet is in a Boeing 747! Are Agents that hard to land? Another entry on my "bucket" list.

#66 ah_522

ah_522

I like Earl Grey macaroons.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:academic journal and publications, i'm currently querying my second MS

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

Oh gosh, I need to send this to a friend who's exactly like this. Every time we talk about books and what I want to write he likes to bash my story and talk about how awesome his book is... well we try very hard to bite our tongues and exercise self-control. (AND THE KNIFEEEEEEEEEEE.) 

Though I am glad I did all my work researching before I even started writing after watching this, LOL. 

#67 Tiffany Simone the Writer

Tiffany Simone the Writer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:N/A

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

#68 Tiffany Simone the Writer

Tiffany Simone the Writer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:N/A

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

OMG, so funny, yet so on point.

#69 KirkDJohnston

KirkDJohnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:57 AM

Haha!

I remember seeing this about a year ago, or whenever, long before I'd even entertained the notion of seriously writing anything. And yet here I am. God, I hope I'm not falling into the same trap as shown in this video. :-o

I guess I have read a few books in my life (probably more than I actually realise, although maybe not as much fiction as I should have), and I do love the thing(s) I'm writing about in my own stories. Also, I suppose I could be considered a creative person in general, having worked as an artist/animator, game designer, and programmer. So I certainly love creating stuff, and I figure books is another form of creation and expression. Also--and this is one of my primary motivations for finally getting serious about writing--it's one of the few forms of expression you can engage in these days that isn't constantly being constrained and complicated by the constant progress of technology and new techniques of achieving basically the same thing. Making games is nigh-on impossible if you don't keep up with all the advances in technology and cutting edge techniques, which is hugely expensive, but you can still write a book using the same pen and paper method that people have been using for thousands of years (realistically it's probably on a word processor, but same difference), and I actually love that about it. It's not about how competent you are are learning new software programs and operating systems, or about how up to date you are with all the new expensive technology and hardware devices. It's just about coming up with some great ideas and then learning how to put them down on paper in a way that hopefully some other people will find engaging and entertaining. It's, quite literally, about telling stories. Yeah, I know it's not THAT simple. ;-)

I hope I can do with books what I kinda failed to do with videogames (largely because of the huge technological and financial barriers inherent to making games in general)...

Great video though. :-D

#70 S.Hurst

S.Hurst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have had several poems appear in school and amateur publications. This is my first full novel.

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Definitely a must watch. I am still new to the process of writing, new enough that some of this made me giggle shamefacedly. The rest just made me roar!

Blurb 1 Raven.jpg

#71 Nox

Nox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:One novel on Amazon.com

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

After 50 shades of gray, the bear makes a lot of sense.

#72 PAlden

PAlden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Articles and blogs

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hahaha! 😂

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users