#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

We assume most of you have already seen this USA Today article about "New Adult" being the new hot genre.

http://www.usatoday....ishing/2022707/

Oh, Publishing Industry... both a fickle and whimsical dame, you are...

Navigating the exhilarating, sometimes dangerous chasm between adolescence and adulthood, these novels — aimed at readers out of high school — are roaring up the best-seller list. The setting often is a college campus and the vibe is intense as only young love can be. It's sex, bad boys, too much drama and, if you consulted the characters' parents, not nearly enough library time!

For evidence, check out USA TODAY's Best-Selling Books list, where Jamie McGuire's Walking Disasteris currently No. 1.

It's the companion book to McGuire's 2012 hitBeautiful Disaster, the tale of tormented college lovers Abby and Travis. She's on the straight and narrow while he's "Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand."

McGuire has gone from a digital self-publishing success to landing a major publisher, Atria, which publishes her books in print and e-book formats.Beautiful Disaster sold more than 500,000 copies and Warner Bros. has optioned the film rights.

McGuire, 34, who lives in Oklahoma, credits the "self-publishing revolution" for the explosion of New Adult and creating a niche where none existed, filling the gap between Young Adult (YA, for readers ages 12-18) and commercial women's fiction for readers in their 20s and older.

An established writer of 13 novels, Armentrout says New Adult is "the perfect middle ground" for a YA writer like herself who wanted to explore more mature issues. YA "has your characters' firsts: their first love, first hate." With New Adult, "it's more serious. The characters are older. They love more strongly and they are doing it without the safety net of parents or close high school friends," she says.

Interest in the category has generated a New Adult website (www.nalley.com) for both readers and writers called "NA Alley: Bridging the Gap Between Young Adult and Adult Fiction." One of the founders, Carrie Butler, 26, is an Ohio writer whose New Adult novel Strength (Sapphire Star) was published last month.

#2 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

It's funny in that sad sort of way... I have no less than four rejections in a folder that say, (paraphrasing) "We're sorry that New Adult isn't a genre, and therefore totally unrepresentable. Try us again next time with a better classified manuscript."

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#3 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of traditional mysteries:
    The Blue Ridge Library Mystery series w/ Crooked Lane Books - bks 1, 2, & 3 out now, bk 4 Jan. 2020, bk 5 Jan. 2021.
    Booklovers B&B series w/ Crooked Lane - 1st book June 2020. 2nd bk. June 2021.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

I don't know -- it's difficult to try to stuff everything into the right genre sometimes.  My first book in my adult scifi trilogy starts out on a college campus with a protagonist who could be a New Adult MC, but then it moves forward in her life, so it would not qualify for the label. 

I can see the reason for the interest, but I suspect if I ever ended up writing in this genre, it would only be because the particular story I wanted to tell just happened to match the age (and other) parameters.

#4 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

It's funny in that sad sort of way... I have no less than four rejections in a folder that say, (paraphrasing) "We're sorry that New Adult isn't a genre, and therefore totally unrepresentable. Try us again next time with a better classified manuscript."

Where did I see that list of bestsellers, classics, etc that had been rejected, and the reasons for them? I think Stephen King's "Carrie" was on that list, and I think it said something like "No one's going to buy that s**t." 

1984 was on the list too.

Keep trying. You'll get your day.  :smile:

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#5 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

Court Jester and Wanna Be Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

At the rate the incorporeal literary landscape is being fenced off into genres and umpteen sub-categories, it won't be long before you need a 12 gigabyte data base just to figure out what the heck you're writing about. :blink:

The cascade effect run wild.

But, what the hey? As long as it allows writer to sell stories, I'm cool with it. :biggrin:

"But that's OK. There's treasure children always seek to find.

And just like us, you must have had, a Once Upon A Time."

~Elton John

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

"Hmm, maybe my trunked contemporary literary might find an audience in NA" -- earworm of mine for the past 10 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users