Disclaimer

Photo

Should you let Createspace create your Kindle version?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Createspace & KDP or just Createspace? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

When I publish Createspace & Kindle versions, I upload

1. a Word or other document to Createspace & let them make a Kindle version (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. a Word or other document to Createspace & then a different file to Amazon (3 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

For my first novel, I filled in a Word template from Createspace and uploaded it. Then, I created an epub using Sigil and uploaded that to Amazon for a Kindle version.

Now, I'm wondering if I was just wasting time (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Would I have had the same results if I let Createspace create the Kindle version? Is there any downside to having Createspace create the Kindle version? Does Createspace charge for this conversion?

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I didn't quite do either option in the poll, but basically the second. I send a PDF to Createspace (made using InDesign ... I'm fussy) and make a separate file for Kindle.

Personally, I don't like the idea of some automated conversion between my "hard copy" file and an e-book file. (Is the Createspace service automated, or does a human do it? If the latter, I would assume there's a charge, but I don't know.) It implies an algorithmic, one-size-fits-all approach, and I prefer to make sure the product is as tailored to each output format as I can. I dislike the Smashwords "meat-grinder" for the same reason, just on principle.

But I'm an OCD control-freak. :blush:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Thanks, RC. I revised to poll to reflect other doc types. I share your concern about how the final output looks. Having programming experience, I fear the ramifications of feeding a meatgrinder something the programmer didn't anticipate.

On the other hand, what if it anything that looks good in Createspace also comes out good in the Kindle version? I have to balance my OCD tendencies against my laziness. It's a tough call.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

I'm with RC on this. (Go figure, since she designed both the EBP books), and I'm seriously wondering if we should scrap Smashwords altogether.

#5 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

Court Jester and Wanna Be Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

When i did Wolfsong the first time, Createspace would only accept a PDF. Times must have changed.

Anyway, Amazon still bugged the crap out of me to do an e-book version. Considering that I was flying by the seat of my pants already... I ignored the constant requests.

Since the whole project falls on my shoulders, I'm with the others. I'd much rather curse, cry, bounce off the walls and tear my hair out for a product that I know is going to come out as close to professional as it can, than trust an automatic conversion by someone who really doesn't give a crap what it looks like.

Besides, they're not the one who will take the heat if the conversion comes out bad... the person with their name on the cover will.

"But that's OK. There's treasure children always seek to find.

And just like us, you must have had, a Once Upon A Time."

~Elton John

#6 Anna L. Walls

Anna L. Walls

Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I published my first book through AuthorHouse. Since then I tried out a small one-man publishing company and then a mid-level publishing LLC. I have since unpublished all of my books from those companies and I have published them all through CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, and most recently SmashWords. I am much happier with this arrangement.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Early this February I published my blog novel through CreateSpace. All I did was upload my Word document and click through the little widget that shows you what it looks like. I had to make a change or two to get it the way I wanted but regardless, that's the gist of all I did. For the paperback version, I used a slightly different version as I wanted a table of contents. Other than that I didn't do anything at all special by way of formatting or anything. Came out rather nice, I think.

Find all of my books at:

Amazon - http://www.amazon.co...ls/e/B002E1FOBI

SmashWords - https://www.smashwor...AuthorAnnaWalls

Hope to see you there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users