Disclaimer

Photo

Link to the query that landed me my agent, disected by my agent.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

This is up on Chuck Sambuchino's column in the online Writer's Digest. This is the query that landed me my agent, along with her comments. It shows what stood out for her, etc. I thought it might be helpful, in it's way.

Here you go.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#2 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

((Sorry, hit post by accident before I finished))

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#3 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Congrats, Robert! It's great that you're getting such exposure. Also, I love the feedback. It's really helpful for others who are working on their queries to see.  :smile:

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#4 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Congratulations!

It is indeed helpful. I've read just about every post in that column.  :tongue: Just goes to show, though, how subjective these queries are - many of Barbara's comments talk about what she is a fan of. Was it just luck that your query appealed to her in those ways, or did she allude to her preferences in her blog, Twitter, etc? In other words, how much homework did you have to do before you queried her?

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#5 ami

ami

YA author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Liars and Losers Like Us releases March 2016 from SkyHorse/Sky Pony Press

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

Congrats--that's awesome!  I love that she talked to your wife first!  : )

Ami

Twitter: @amilouiseallen

Blog: Ami with an I

#6 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Congratulations!

It is indeed helpful. I've read just about every post in that column.  :tongue: Just goes to show, though, how subjective these queries are - many of Barbara's comments talk about what she is a fan of. Was it just luck that your query appealed to her in those ways, or did she allude to her preferences in her blog, Twitter, etc? In other words, how much homework did you have to do before you queried her?

You know, actually? All I did was find her name in the Agent Query database. It mentioned that she was into mysteries. It also mentioned that she didn't mind turning a "maybe" into a "yes".  I read that and said to myself, "This is the agent for me!" I felt that the manuscript I'd written, if it wasn't a "yes", was DEFINITELY a "maybe".

I wouldn't have followed her on Twitter, even if she'd been on Twitter back then (she wasn't). And I wasn't reading ANY agent's blog. I worked on my manuscript until it was polished like a diamond, then I did the same with my query, then I started shooting arrows out into the Agent World. All that cyber stuff didn't work for me. I'm too old school, lolol. :smile:

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

#7 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Re-he-he-heeeeally?  :laugh:

Well, this gives me hope! I'm not on Twitter either (and will avoid it as long as I can! Fellow old-schooler here!) Also a big believer in "hunches". Off to go hunt through the database.  :cool:

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#8 Bhoomigirl

Bhoomigirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Congratulations! I read your interview where you mentioned that you didn't do the CP, beta reader route. I found that reassuring as I don't think that path is for everyone.

#9 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Oh, I must have missed something - where's the interview?

#10 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Oh, I must have missed something - where's the interview?

Here you go. It's over on Michelle4laughs's blog. From last year.

#11 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Wow! That's such a great interview - what a story! Lots of "gut instincts". I feel that way too. I've written two books. I shelved the first one, and while this one's out languishing in slush piles all over the western hemisphere, I'm going to rewrite it.

This book...the one I'm working at right now...this is The One. 

I just *feel* it. Total believer in instincts. I'm so happy for you! Goes to show, too, that these "overnight successes" we see all the time, aren't that at all, are they? They likely went through years of hard work and rejection before their big break. Thank you for giving me hope.  :smile:

#12 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thank you, Yvette. You know... I REALLY WANT to help authors keep going on their journey, so I'm glad you feel as you do. :smile:

#13 lyael

lyael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

I just read your "getting the call" interview.  What a fantastic story and an inspiration to keep plowing ahead.

Also, your book sounds fantastic. I bought it for my NOOK :smile: 

#14 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

I just read your "getting the call" interview.  What a fantastic story and an inspiration to keep plowing ahead.

Also, your book sounds fantastic. I bought it for my NOOK :smile: 

Hey now! There ya go! Thanks. :smile:

Hope you enjoy the read!

#15 Diane Holiday

Diane Holiday

Romantic suspense writer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

This is up on Chuck Sambuchino's column in the online Writer's Digest. This is the query that landed me my agent, along with her comments. It shows what stood out for her, etc. I thought it might be helpful, in it's way.

Here you go.

Very helpful, thanks for posting! Your book looks awesome too.

#16 Season Vining

Season Vining

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

This is great! What a rare insight to have!

I'm also rep'd by Irene Goodman Agency (Rachel Ekstrom), so we're agency buddies!

goodreads_icon_1000x1000-bed183559c02a41   Wordpress-button.png   facebook-logo-1.png   url-1.png

Beautiful Addictions

New Adult Romantic Suspense

St. Martin's Press  •  eBook: Jan 28, Print: July 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users