#1 Tiffanym

Tiffanym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Specifically Jessica Alvarez?  She's asked for a full and synopsis.  The website for the agency and her individual bio looks promising and all, but I'd love to hear of anyone's experiences with either the agency or this agent in particular.

Thanks!

#2 Anna L. Walls

Anna L. Walls

Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I published my first book through AuthorHouse. Since then I tried out a small one-man publishing company and then a mid-level publishing LLC. I have since unpublished all of my books from those companies and I have published them all through CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, and most recently SmashWords. I am much happier with this arrangement.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Look them up with Writer Beware or Preditors and Editors, and if you can't find anything on them, ask. They do reply to such inquiries.

Find all of my books at:

Amazon - http://www.amazon.co...ls/e/B002E1FOBI

SmashWords - https://www.smashwor...AuthorAnnaWalls

Hope to see you there

#3 margotdarko

margotdarko

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Google her too :)

Here's a link from a thread on Absolute Write about Bookends with one of Jessica's clients saying that she is really happy -

http://absolutewrite...6&t=826&page=16

#4 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of traditional mysteries:
    The Blue Ridge Library Mystery series w/ Crooked Lane Books - bks 1, 2, & 3 out now, bk 4 Jan. 2020, bk 5 Jan. 2021.
    Booklovers B&B series w/ Crooked Lane - 1st book June 2020. 2nd bk. June 2021.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Also, they do have sales reported on Pub. Marketplace, if that helps. (Respectable sales for the last 12 months).

#5 Tiffanym

Tiffanym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the help!

#6 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hey Tiffany,

I don't have any personal experience with Jessica, as she seems to mainly represent Women's Fiction. She joined the agency in 2011, it seems and looking at PM, she seems to have connections with small presses and larger ones. She has sales to houses like Harlequin, Kensington, Entangled, Grand Central, and Zebra. BookEnds as an agency has over 200 reported sales since their opening in 2004. A big chunk of their sales seem to be in Mystery and Women's Fiction.

I do know that the agent who owns BookEnds also owns Beyond the Page publishing (http://www.beyondthepagepub.com) which is a self-publishing assistance venture. From their web site:

"Beyond the Page was started as a service to BookEnds clients who were asking for help, guidance, and their agent's participation in self-publishing ventures. Given the services we wanted to be able to provide our clients (including editing, copyediting, and marketing), we did not feel a traditional commission-based agency model was right for self-publishing. That's when Beyond the Page was created.

Beyond the Page is a completely separate company from BookEnds. All business plans, staff, and financials are separate, as are submissions."

I do know that Beyond the Page does not charge any money upfront and work on a profit-sharing model. This may be a deal breaker for some people who view it is as a conflict of interest, but it's really up to you. BookEnds does have solid sales with many different publishers. You can read more about them on the AW forums here (http://absolutewrite...hread.php?t=826)

Hope this helps! I know not everyone has a PM membership or can afford one.

Good luck with the full!

#7 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published, Amazon Top 100 YA Author

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Bookends had a really great, comprehensive blog with all sorts of information about writing, agenting, and publishing. They definitely know their stuff over there, that much I can say.

M.W

#8 Tiffanym

Tiffanym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

Thanks so much to all of you.  Really helpful info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users