15 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

17 of us indie authors banded together over the weekend to put on a promo called Save a Tree, Read an Ebook for Earth Day where we share 18 of our FREE reads with readers. We posted them on my blog along with an image. You can check it out here (AND download your FREE ebooks--woot!): www.jeanoram.com/save-a-tree

Now the incredible thing about this promo was where the clicks came from. I checked the stats on my blog post and checked it again. And then again. Despite the bunch of us tweeting out delectable things and using all sorts of fabulous hashtags only 13 of the hits over 24 hours came from Twitter. 13.

You might be thinking that is cool.

But wait. During that same time period 608 clicks to that post came from Facebook. Six hundred and eight.

Blow. Me. Away.

And the image I had on my Facebook page somehow managed to get over 4000 views. That is not a typo--I'm still not exactly sure how that even happened or if it is some kind of FB glitch. But when you think about it, there were a bunch of us sharing this image, gaining more and more views. So it could be true.

I'm no Facebook expert. Hell, before the weekend I only had 48 likes on my page. (I now have 100. That was a cool side effect I was certainly not anticipating.) But some of the ladies I banded with obviously are Facebook efficiandos.

I used to say Twitter was for networking and connecting and not selling and then I started trying to sell there thinking those retweets I was getting on my 'sells' were actually leading up to something (and maybe they are in terms of brand and title awareness) but they aren't actually leading people back to my blog so people can download free books. Facebook is.

So... I suppose what I am saying here is think about Facebook in your promo plans. Read their rules (they can lock down your account if you aren't careful) and connect with people on Facebook. Make it part of your promo plan.

And, if you know a lot about Facebook and how to use it smartly, then definitely share your thoughts here in this mini think tank. I'd love to see everyone do well!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#2 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

This is great info, Jean. I've almost completely ignored my facebook author page. I made it and then let it sit there and molder. Great reason to put more energy into it. I'd love to know how people build their likes and following, especially when you are using a pen name.

JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

The thing with likes is finding the right audience. I know there are 'events' on Facebook every once in awhile where authors go around and like each other's pages which is great for the ego, but it doesn't always mean you are connecting with your audience. For me, I like to mention it at the bottom of a blog post--well, I do for my mailing list. That seems to help (I think). As for likes, I think images that are shareable can help if you make sure they can be tracked back to your page (through shares or your Facebook URL). But as for genuine likes, getting that momentum going can be tricky, I think.

Lately I've been adding pictures on my page (www.facebook.com/jeanoramauthor) in hopes of it being interesting for my readers. I snap them with my phone on the go and use the Facebook Pages app to post it. I might show my workspace or something I'm reading for research. Sort of behind the scenes stuff. And when I see stuff in my Facebook timeline that I think my readers (romance readers) might like--say a new book release, joke, or free book--I share it onto my page. Sometimes I don't post anything for weeks and sometimes it will be a couple times a day. I've also been trying to be better about mentioning it in guest posts, on Twitter, or wherever I go. Not sure if it helps at all. I also have a link to it in my book, but so far the mailing list has been way more popular than likes. (Which is good. I prefer it that way!)

I think knowing your brand helps. And thinking about what your reader might like helps too. From there, just be yourself.

But other than that, I'm just shooting around in the dark. :wink:

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#4 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Oh, I should ask. Is your 'personal account' on Facebook under your pen name or under your real name? I'm trying to think whether if you share from your personal to your page if you have a trail from your personal account (ruining your semblance of privacy). The share thing and its finer details is something I'm still figuring out. For instance--how do you share to your page using the phone app????

#5 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Oh, I should ask. Is your 'personal account' on Facebook under your pen name or under your real name? I'm trying to think whether if you share from your personal to your page if you have a trail from your personal account (ruining your semblance of privacy). The share thing and its finer details is something I'm still figuring out. For instance--how do you share to your page using the phone app????

Are you on Android or iOS? On the Android app, I just click share and when it pops up to where you can type something in, there's a dropdown option at the bottom that says "on your own timeline" (it's right next to where you can change the privacy settings for that post). Touch that and it should give you the option to share on your page.

Alternately, try downloading the Pages Manager app. Then when you're in the regular FB app, click on the image so it's full screen and select share from your phone menu options, and from there when asks where you want to share it to, you can select Pages Manager and then the specific page. Hope that helps!

#6 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'd suggest that if you want an "author" page instead of a "personal" page, you click the link for "Artist, Band or Public figure". 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/create/

Then, select "Author" from the dropdown list. You can't reuse an email address that you've already used in FB unless it's been 4 weeks (or so) since you deleted that old account.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#7 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm still floored by the difference in the downloads. I was hoping to avoid adding another social media site to my list, but I think I'll be caving and adding Facebook. I like your ideas of adding behind the scenes stuff along with promos for yourself and others.

#8 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Personally I prefer using Facebook to Twitter. I have found Twitter seems to have a  large number of authors spamming with "buy my book" messages, and I hardly bother to check my feed nowadays. Twitter is a great source of information, but the "noise" over there has really increased lately.

I use Facebook to update what I am working on, piks of interest, tidbits etc. I really enjoy it when people who have read my book, interact on my page. Facebook has changed the visibility of pages though, so not everything appears in people's news feeds. But if you pay Facebook they will promote a post, I think its $15?

#9 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Fantastic info, everyone! Thank you for sharing with everyone.

The Facebook vs. Twitter is astounding. Now... that said this is romance. So you might find that it varies by genre. Possibly lit fic types aren't on FB. But experiment and watch and see!

Jen, I'll try that. I moved from Android to iPhone so I'm still figuring out the little things. Just tried it. Oh my God, Jen. I can't believe I missed that for the past how many months!! <face palm>

AWE, have you tried the promote a post thing? If so, how did it go?

#10 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

AWE, have you tried the promote a post thing? If so, how did it go?

Nope, I haven't tried it, given I don't have a large number of followers anyway, I don't think its worth the money. I would be interested to know if paying increases your reach though, and if it goes beyond the people who have "liked" your author page.

I don't know if it is related to paid promotions, but on my personal page the number of "recommended" pages showing up is increasing, and driving me nuts!

I can't get rid of them, there's some stupid juice page FB keeps wanting me to like, that I "hide" 3 times a day, and FB has removed the option to mark a page as spam.

#11 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

As I have mentioned on another thread, I created a page for my book as I began the query process with continued rewrites and improvements along the way.  I invited all of my friends to the page.   I have journaled a bit of the journey there.  From time to time As I have adjusted or improved my query letter, I have published it as a note with a reference to the page as a first comment.  I than tag the note a few friends at a time until all of my friends have seen it.  The title of my Note always suggests that I am in quest of an agent and suggests that they like and share the note if they would like to read the book.

All of my posts are public.  I've spent a long life with nothing to hide and no particular need to be private about what I say on the Internet.

Here's the current note:

https://www.facebook...152673122720618

Here's the book page:

https://www.facebook...LastLostWarrior

I don't believe you can read the Admin stats so let me report them as follows.  The page currently has 132 likes by it's "fans"

When I enter a new remark, not only do the fans see it but so do their friends.  Currently there are 25,270 such friends who see the journal entries.

I can't measure the impact of the pushed notes quite so well.  I have far more friends than I have fans, but I believe that when I push a note to a friend, their friends see it, and when one of my friends shares the note all of their friends and the friends of there friends see it as well.  I suspect the resulting number is much more than the page number I can report.

No it hasn't worked so far.  I haven't found an agent with the tactic, but the awareness of my unpublished novel getting quite a reach.  When it does get published, I hope that reach translates directly into sales.

Here's the current page:

#12 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

That's cool, Tom. Seeing the reach grow is nice.

AWE, I have tried the ad once--I had a coupon--and it was okay but not spectacular. And aren't those 'you might like' things annoying? They are often SOOOOO wrong!

#13 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Good stuff in here! But do you know how FB compares to goodreads in terms of reaching readers? I know I've bought more than a handful of books based off posts/comments/etc on goodreads, but never have I even been slightly moved to track down a FB book. Of course, that might just be me not "getting" FB as well as I could/should.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#14 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I should say that my audience building has been a slow one.  A good deal of the FB results are I am sure a result of the several different outreaches and my continued persistence.  I'm now getting comments from friends which suggest that I have successfully engaged them in the hunt.  One of them chided another for not sharing my posts!

#15 Katie Bailey

Katie Bailey

A fool with a notebook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

That's actually something I'm trying.  A friend of mine was amazing and wanted to make a website for me, and, a few months back, she asked me to create a FB page so that she could link it.  Now, I was super wary about doing that (primarily because someone I know has a tendency to outright shame me when I try doing stuff to promote my work).  However, I went ahead and did it.  Not too long ago, I posted a mini bonus content chapter on it and, currently, it reached a good 316 views.  I don't even have that many Facebook friends.  It definitely looks like it does manage to help get word out with promotion!

(However, I will say that, unlike people who try making it in hopes that an agent finds it and snags them, it's more to show that there is an interest and growing audience.  I'm actually honored to say that, between Facebook, tumblr, and deviantArt...a few people have actually gone as far as to draw fan art.  I'd say that shows interest!)

It's official:  I run on coffee and sarcasm.

#16 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

Well this is cross posting but worth it.  I don't know what others can see on my book's page, but since I have published I have began to get quite serious distribution of some of my posts and both increasing likes and sales as a result.  To some extent this is about my content.

My novel

http://tinyurl.com/T...st-Lost-Warrior

Is about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder among Vietnam Veterans.  There are several Facebook groups that are oriented toward Vietnam Veterans and I have found strategies for posting what amount to query letters about my novel to several of these.  I now know in pretty precise terms how to create a post that will be read and reviewed by about 2000 folks and my sales immediately reflect this.  My memorial day post reached more than 3000 folks.  I also seem to have found a single photo of me and my buds which with the right text always gets results.  If you want to look at the FB page feel free.  I'll happily the resulting posts penetration scores - both those that did and those that didn't.

https://www.facebook...astLostWarrior/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users