#1 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hi, all.

Often, beginning writers for young children tend to mix up their short stories versus picture books. It's easy to think that a low word count means PB. In reality, if there isn't enough variation in text to create roughly twenty unique double page spreads, a story isn't a book.

So what do we do with these short stories?

Believe it or not, print magazines still exist. In fact, Highlights for Children has six editors on staff, each looking for different material. Looking for. As in, seeking. As in, go ahead and send off your polished short fiction, articles, how-tos and crafts for ages 6-12.

Simply check out www.highlights.com/contributor-guidelines for more information or join the SCBWI and read editorial wants in the Bulletin.

Additionally, e-magazines exist for kids as well. One such publisher is knowonder! They currently publisher a story a day for kids and parents to share, and have just started accepting chapter book manuscripts. http://www.knowonder.com/

As always, do your due diligence in researching publisher needs, guidelines and reputations.

Best luck in your writing journey~

Cat

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#2 Professor VJ Duke

Professor VJ Duke

The Professor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look into this. I love writing short stories!

Drop by my blog: The Punchy Lands!

#3 JDJ&A

JDJ&A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published "A Boys Workbook of Life"

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hello, this is my first post...

What about a series of short stories as a book?

i am writing a series currently and was hoping to start writing to agents.

i self published a collection in 2006 "A Boys Workbook of Life"

#4 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Professor~ good luck. I enjoy writing short stories as well. I think it is a dying art that is starting to see renewed interest. I'm glad short stories aren't quiet as endangered as they used to be!

JDJ&A~ short story anthologies by one author are published, though typically publishers like to see some of the stories published in magazines or other anthologies first. In this way, it shows that the writer already has some experience, exposure and potential readership of their work.

Best luck to both of you!

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#5 JDJ&A

JDJ&A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published "A Boys Workbook of Life"

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks a lot, the Highlights magazine seems to fit my style.  I am polishing a few stories that i hope to send them next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users