#1 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

I know there are a lot of us in the process of querying right now, and it seemed like a good idea to have a thread for us to post our experiences (since it's been happening all around the boards here anyway :)). That way, we could all connect and share our joys, our frustrations, our nailbiting and general angst, or just ways to pass the time while we wait for that ever-elusive response to our queries. And we could encourage each other to keep going when the going gets rough. Maybe we could even help each other out when it seems time for new eyes on a query or ms.

Here's to the Query Class of 2013! Together, let's help each other on this journey toward getting agented/published!

-----------------------------------

So far, for some odd reason, the rejections haven't stung too badly yet. I've heard back from 4 queries so far, and have a bunch out. I've got a full out with a small press that sounds AMAZING. And I have a partial out through an invitation on a blog pitch.  I think for me, if I get rejected on a full, that would probably be the hardest, emotionally. 

Right now, the hardest thing is the waiting for responses, or for the no-response-means-no point to pass. I've sent out a couple batches by this point, so in the span of a month, I've sent maybe 18 queries or pitches (some have been on Savvy Authors).

I'm going into this knowing that my ms is on the long side (100K words), and that it's my first one, so it may not be the one. I've learned so much from writing it, whatever happens, and now a new MS is keeping me distracted in a good way.

How is your journey going? I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed for all of us, that we'll all find success :)

THE MIRRORMASTERS is now available from Clean Reads!

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 
My Author Website: http://www.lorapalmer.weebly.com

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Nice idea, Lora. I've pinned this to the top of the forum so it's easy to find. :smile:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Waiting is the worst.  

I sent out my first volley (10) on Monday/Tuesday and sat back, thinking that I'll would try to stop thinking about it and get back to writing the next one and polishing this short project for journals. I figured it would be awhile before I heard a peep, so it would be easy to just forget about it for a few weeks...

Within 24 hours I had a form rejection, (ok, whatevs, I didn't like you much anyway) and  a request for a full (whoa! that was fast.) And so I started checking my email every twenty minutes waiting to hear from the others...silence, of course. I AM trying to return to my WIP.  I'm right there with you, Lora, trying to tell myself that my first my not be the real first, so I should try to work on this WIP with everything I have and use what I've learned in writing the first. 

The request for the full was from an agent you specifically asked for a Erzsebet Bathory historical, so the odds were in my favor, so to speak. I think it will sting pretty badly if she doesn't like the book, when she's been looking for a Bathory story for over a year. (Thanks to AQC member Yvette for directing me to her site after reading my query! Such a mitzvah!) And of course there's the question of whether she'll like any of my OTHER work, considering I don't plan to focus on HF.

So much for not thinking about it for a few weeks, geez.

Good luck everyone!

#4 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Awesome! Thank you so much, RC! :). I'm so glad you like the idea and am excited to see where this goes.

Thrash, congrats on the full request! That really was lightning fast.  What a great help from a fellow AQC'er to direct you to that agent. An AQC'er mentioned the Savvy Authors site, so that's how I was led to that site's pitching opportunities that garnered my full and partial. Still waiting to hear back from another couple pitches and entered another today.

Hmm, the fact that you may not do other historical fiction may have an impact on your decision, if you do get the opportunity to work with that agent. Hopefully he/she is interested in some of the other genres you want to write!

From email queries, I've gotten four form rejections so far, and three were within a day or two of sending them. Ok, so it's a bit of a slap in the face, and I was bummed about one because the agent had favorited my twitter pitch on #pitmad. But, I'm ok with those, because if it's not their cup of tea, it's not. That doesn't mean it won't be someone else's.  I do like fast responses rather than waiting, and I'm keeping hopeful for now that any of the ones I have out could turn into a full request at any time. It's kind of a fun, exciting feeling.

Writing the next MS with all that I am, and all that I have, applying as best I can what I've learned already, is what I'm doing my best to try to do, too. This time, I'm trying pantsing it, with a vague idea of where it's going, though I'm not sure what's actually going to happen once I get my MC to Mars. Maybe they'll face physical hardships/danger, like crops not being as abundant as they need, or a freak sandstorm wrecking one of the habitats, or maybe even a sabateur. Maybe they will discover something amazing, like something that would let them restart Mars' magnetic core, or something that points to intelligent life once having lived there, billions of years ago, when it had an earthlike environment. Maybe even all of the above :).

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 

#5 Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Writer of YA/NA. Short stories in the FALL, SUMMER'S EDGE & DARK CARNIVAL anthologies.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Thanks, Lora.  I love this :smile:

So here's where I'm at:

I've been querying since mid - February. And to be honest, I'm scared to post where I'm at because I'm so afraid these are all going to come back as rejections...

But here are my numbers...

Fulls - 2 out (1 other full I sent out in Feb. was rejected but had some very nice comments)

Partials - 9 out

Total sent queries: 30

I think the madness here is the waiting.  I probably refresh my email at least 200 times a day. I'm with you Lora, although the rejections hurt at least you know and can move on.

I too am writing something new (YA Contemporary) that I'm excited about.  Although, I have to admit, I do stop writing like every 20 minutes just to check my email again.

Check out my blog: Chasing The Crazies

Follow me on Twitter

"Do one thing every day that scares you" - Eleanor Roosevelt

#6 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

I think my query's the best it's gonna get (thank you to all of you who offered critiques and suggestions!) but I haven't sent it out yet.

I'm waiting for feedback from my betas (this week, I think) and then I'm going to revise according to that. And THEN, I'll send out the queries.

I'm scared.  :blink:

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#7 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Take your time!  

when I finally had everything read, it took me nearly an hour to work up the nerve to press the send button to my first (and top choice) agent.  And then I spent the next ten minutes with my head between my knees.  It makes it more real, somehow.  

#8 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:BIRTH OF SAINTS trilogy(Harper Voyager): GRUDGING, FAITHFUL (Nov 15, 2016, Book 3 (Nov 2017). KINDAR'S CURE. Short stories in anthologies from EBP. Host of Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, PB Party, Sun versus Snow.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Can I join the group? I just started querying my MG on April 30th. Fifteen queries sent. Five form rejections. One nice personalized rejection. One partial request. I have two more partials out from the Squeaky Squirrel Tree House contest, and I am waiting on about four other contests, including the Savvy Authors that Lora mentioned and the Writers Voice.

This is the third manuscript I've queried. Now I fling those queries without even a tremor.  :happy: 

Congrats, Thrash, on your full. Hope you have lots of luck with those nine partials, atg5. I'll watch for you name in the contests, Lora.

25815723.jpg  29242455.jpg  16415686.jpg   18159598.jpg  20957949.jpg   

Blog: It's in the Details
Twitter

#9 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:BIRTH OF SAINTS trilogy(Harper Voyager): GRUDGING, FAITHFUL (Nov 15, 2016, Book 3 (Nov 2017). KINDAR'S CURE. Short stories in anthologies from EBP. Host of Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, PB Party, Sun versus Snow.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I think my query's the best it's gonna get (thank you to all of you who offered critiques and suggestions!) but I haven't sent it out yet.

I'm waiting for feedback from my betas (this week, I think) and then I'm going to revise according to that. And THEN, I'll send out the queries.

I'm scared.  :blink:

Just wait until you get your first request. It never gets old. I ran around the house like a crazy when I got my first small press request a year ago.

Twitter

#10 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Just wait until you get your first request. It never gets old. I ran around the house like a crazy when I got my first small press request a year ago.

I happen to get mine while I was getting some drinks with my friend's workshop--so about 15 other fiction writers at various stages.  Round of shots and lots of high-fives were had. good times.

#11 ami

ami

YA author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Liars and Losers Like Us releases March 2016 from SkyHorse/Sky Pony Press

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hey Everyone, My name is Ami and I'm a query-aholic.  : )

It sounds like everyone is doing well.  It's a nice idea to have this thread--sometimes it feels like my husband, friends, family just don't get it. "Oh you're writing a book--when's it getting published?" "Oh you finished you're book? When can I pick up my copy at Barnes & Noble?"

I like querying, BUT only because I love making lists and keeping track of little details like that. Querytracker rules for spazzes like me.  Of course I don't actually like the rejections, but I prefer a response to...CRICKETS.   I've got back 19 queries, with 4 full requests.  I am waiting to hear on one but got Rs on the other three. : (  One was a form rejection which was a bummer to say the least. Each R on a full though has been tough BC literally everytime I've gotten one, I've questioned whether I need to just stop and re-do the whole thing or scrap it. I did go bananas and do a show/tell super scrub (CP help too) bc that was a note on one but regardless, they bot felt, to me, to be "almost but not quite."  But at the end of the day, I'm going with my gut. I'm going to keep on. Maybe I'll stop around 80 something queries cuz that's my fave number, maybe I'll stop at 118, or maybe at 50. Or maybe the dream will come true for this ms and I'll get an offer.  Either way, like previous posters and other on here, I have a WIP that I feel really great about and am using everything i learned thus far and using it for my first draft.  I'm excited for it so that helps the time go by--contests too!  

Good Luck Everyone--break a leg pen/computer/wrist??

Ami

Ami

Twitter: @amilouiseallen

Blog: Ami with an I

#12 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

A personalized rejection today. "Cool idea" but she doesn't specialize in MG.

Twitter

#13 SG_Marsh

SG_Marsh

Sarah Glenn Marsh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:FEAR THE DROWNING DEEP (10/4/16 from Sky Pony). REIGN OF THE FALLEN duology (forthcoming from Razorbill/Penguin); ANNA STRONG: DAUGHTER OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION (PB, coming from Abrams Kids). CAMPFIRE SCALES (PB, Sterling Children's, Spring 2017). SELFIE SEBASTIAN (PB, Sterling Children's, Fall 2017). YA rep: Lucy Carson at The Friedrich Agency. PB rep: Christa Heschke at McIntosh & Otis Literary.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Hi folks!

This thread is such a great idea.  I'm Sarah, and I'm a little shy, so I don't post often- but I couldn't resist the opportunity to talk with such a nice group of people who are going through the query process too.

I'm currently querying my second MS (started in February).  I have 8 fulls out (one was upgraded from a partial, which is a nice feeling) and 5 partials at the moment.  I've had 2 partials rejected with form letters, and 1 form reject on a full (ouch!).  I also had a pass on a full with a very kind note.

Now I'm participating in a few contests and waiting to hear back from these submissions.  Here's hoping! :)

Find me on Twitter: @SG_Marsh

I started a blog!  sarahglennmarsh.blogspot.com

#14 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Form reject on a full - I can't grasp that one! You would think that, if the agent took the time to ask for a full, he/she might also take the time to specify why it doesn't work for them.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#15 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Form reject on a full - I can't grasp that one! You would think that, if the agent took the time to ask for a full, he/she might also take the time to specify why it doesn't work for them.

Incomprehensible, isn't it? And it totally stinks. Sorry you got one.

It actually happens more than you'd think.

Twitter

#16 Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Writer of YA/NA. Short stories in the FALL, SUMMER'S EDGE & DARK CARNIVAL anthologies.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I've had a full out since early Feb. and I've nudged on it twice.

No response.

At all.

It's frustrating, but still it's part of the process.

Hang in there all! It WILL happen for all of us one day! :smile:

Check out my blog: Chasing The Crazies

Follow me on Twitter

"Do one thing every day that scares you" - Eleanor Roosevelt

#17 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Same with me. I've had a full out since February and no response to a nudge either. Wondering if it could be the same agent. 

Anyway, you just have to keep going forward. Some things you can't change or fix.

Twitter

#18 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE and SCEPTER OF FIRE, Fantasy,Snowy Wings Publishing, May 2017
    Library mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in Jan. 2018

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yep, got those as well. But it only take one that clicks...

#19 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Fun stories about getting the first full request! Glad to hear it doesn't get old, and I'm sooo hoping there are more to come :). I was at band practice. We'd finished running through all the songs for yesterday's church service, and when I checked the savvy authors website before leaving, there it was on the results page! So the other singer, who's also a published author, asked what I was checking, and I let him know.

He still asks if I've heard back, and I'm like "Not yet." Hopefully soon.

Congrats to everyone getting a bit of personalization when they hear back. It's hard if it's a rejection, but any bit of feedback that might help improve the ms is precious!

Welcome to the group, everyone! 

Sarah, it sounds like you're doing great with this round of querying. Good luck with the contests, and hopefully one of the fulls will lead to an offer!

Atg and Michelle, I hope you guys hear back soon on the fulls you have out (with good news, of course)! The waiting is the worst.  Great advice in the meantime, Michelle and Lucid--just keep working at it, keep querying, and don't give up because it only takes that one yes. It's so helpful to remember that when you have one of those days where you're doubting that the ms will ever be good enough no matter what you do to try revising it, or whether it'll ever happen.

It will. With the right ms, the right agent, the right publisher at the right time. It'll happen. And all the hard work, the ups and downs, everything we go through to get to that point will be worth it when it does.

#20 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

A few more form rejections came in today...3.  Interesting pattern: I've been getting rejections on those that requested query only, not those who asked for other materials.  Probably just a time issue--more material to go through means longer response time, I'm sure. But I'm taking it as a good sign anyway.

I've developed a good system for keeping track of rejections, though: 

rejections.jpg?w=490

Think I can get to the top of the spike before I give up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users