#21 Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Happily writing #YA (NOTHING BUT SKY, Spring 2018) @Fluxbooks. #PitchWars mentor. Co-creator of #sunvssnow. Proud member of KICK-AZ & AZ YA/MG Writers.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

LOL Thrash.  Your spike reminds me of Stephen King.  He taped his rejections all over his bedroom wall to remind himself to keep moving forward.

Check out my blog: Chasing The Crazies

Follow me on Twitter

"Do one thing every day that scares you" - Eleanor Roosevelt

#22 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, I read On Writing anytime I feel like a fraud. It reminds me of how much work it takes and how worth it it may/will be.

#23 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Love the tracking system, Thrash! I'd love to hear how the spike works for you. Sorry about the R's, but at least you heard back. This waiting is sooo difficult. 

Still waiting to hear the results of the last few Savvy Authors pitches. Not letting my hopes get up for those, or for any of the stuff I've already sent out, but it'd still be good to hear something.

Oh, atg, I've heard about On Writing. Definitely will have to check it out, especially on those days inspiration is needed.

THE MIRRORMASTERS is now available from Clean Reads!

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 
My Author Website: http://www.lorapalmer.weebly.com

#24 Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Happily writing #YA (NOTHING BUT SKY, Spring 2018) @Fluxbooks. #PitchWars mentor. Co-creator of #sunvssnow. Proud member of KICK-AZ & AZ YA/MG Writers.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Not only writing inspiration, but it will make you feel guilty ANY & EVERY time you want to use an adverb (LOL! - once you read it, you'll get the joke) :)

Follow me on Twitter

#25 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

And he almost comes close to apologizing for Cujo.

#26 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Really? I liked Cujo. The moviemakers should apologize for butchering every one of his books.  :blink:

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#27 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hey Thrash, the spike is a great idea.

What about the agent who specifically mentioned Bathory? Have you heard from her?

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#28 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

I sent her a full last week but haven't heard from her yet, it's still early.

On Writing is partially about his life, including the years he spent messed up on drugs.  I wasn't a huge fan of Cujo, though I recognize it as a moderately decent novel...but considering the depth and coherence of his others....?

#29 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Good luck on the full, Thrash!

Got a couple more R's, so that's six no's, one full, and an invitation to submit a partial to a co-agent (as part of the savvy authors pitch). It may be time to hold off on any more querying until more feedback comes in. If nothing comes of what I have out so far, it may be time to so some tweaking of the query and opening pages.

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 

#30 ami

ami

YA author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Liars and Losers Like Us releases March 2016 from SkyHorse/Sky Pony Press

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

I loved On Writing.   :smile: Also, Carrie was a sort of influence for the novel I'm querying!  (mine's not even close to horror tho)  I just realized that I mention pigs blood in one of the final scenes and also my favorite movie Stand By Me is referenced a couple times.  I read Carrie and Different Seasons in high school and they really stayed with me.  

How is everyone's week going?  My full requests have balanced out my query rejects so I'm happy with that.  I'm already trying to get this optimistic vibe going by saying ok, 3 fulls out now so if they all come back as Rs, you can just take a break from it, focus more on WIP, and then go back to it mid summer or end and figure out what you wanna do.  Pfffft.  The nervousness and stressiness mixed with hopefulness is such a crazy mix of emotion in my gut.  Makes you wanna puke and run a sprint.  But if you did, it'd be a mess. 

Ami

Twitter: @amilouiseallen

Blog: Ami with an I

#31 ami

ami

YA author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Liars and Losers Like Us releases March 2016 from SkyHorse/Sky Pony Press

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Dreamer--6 no, 1 Full and 1 partial so far is great!  Good Luck!!!!

Ami

Twitter: @amilouiseallen

Blog: Ami with an I

#32 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Carrie's a good one--King actually does really well with the nitty-gritty biology stuff of female characters. Much better than many female writers I know.

#33 mammaMia

mammaMia

The fennec fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Hoping to add something here soon.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

I think it's time for me to stop lurking and jump in :)

Hi guys! My name is Mia. So far I have 15 queries out and I have four R's. I had a partial out until today when I got rejected. Fortunately, she had so many nice things to say about my writing and my story so that was cool. She said something about my first chapter bugged her and I'm glad she told me so. Now I can fix it.

@Thrash - I'm LOVING the spike idea. Maybe I should do something like that with my rejections!

And good luck to everyone querying. We can do it!

AWAKENED (YA science fiction) -- shelved

WHO'S THE MOST POPULAR OF THEM ALL? (upper MG contemporary) -- shelved

GUNPOWDER, SPARKLES, AND JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RUM (MG fantasy) -- writing first draft (Query here)

UNTITLED YA FANTASY -- planning

UNTITLED MG FANTASY -- planning

#34 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

I think it's time for me to stop lurking and jump in :)

Hi guys! My name is Mia. So far I have 15 queries out and I have four R's. I had a partial out until today when I got rejected. Fortunately, she had so many nice things to say about my writing and my story so that was cool. She said something about my first chapter bugged her and I'm glad she told me so. Now I can fix it.

Hi Mia!

It's that kind of thing that makes me wonder if it's really *so* bad to re-query. I mean, she told you what was wrong, you fixed it, and she really loved your story, right? 

But, everything says that's a bad idea, so it must be. But still!

Good luck to you!

#35 LaurieElizabeth

LaurieElizabeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:My YA debut, FIRSTS, will be published by Thomas Dunne Books/St Martin's Press in 2016. I'm represented by Kathleen Rushall of MLLA.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hello everyone! I have been lurking a bit too because I couldn't figure out how to reply to a topic (I guess I'm a bit slow and didn't realize I hadn't validated my account).

I am currently in the process of querying my New Adult contemporary novel. I have received four full requests and one partial. Two fulls and the partial were ultimately rejected and two are still out there. It's frustrating because none of the agents who passed on the manuscript have noted anything wrong with it that I could latch onto-- just the standard 'there was something about it I didn't connect with.' I'm currently working on my second novel, something entirely different, while I continue to query my first one. I find that working on a new project has definitely lessened the sting from the rejections.

Anyway, it's nice to know that there are others out there going through the same thing, and this site seems like a great place to find support! Nice to meet you all!

I'm on Twitter! @laurellizabeth

#36 Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

Welcome Elizabeth!  Yes, things are much easier to take in the query trenches when you have support. You are spot on with starting a new project.  It does help to take your mind off checking your email every five seconds.

Good luck with your requests! 

Follow me on Twitter

#37 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Mia, that's wonderful that you got personal feedback on your writing. Good luck with the rewrite! I loved your story and can't wait to see it on the bookshelves someday :).

Yvette, I do wonder if getting some personal feedback might be a slight exception, where you can thank the agent for taking the time to offer their helpful feedback and that you will use it/have used it to make revisions, and then ask if they would like to see those revisions. 

Can't hurt, right?

Hi, Elizabeth! Welcome to the group! Congrats on all those requests, and it sounds like you're on the right track. It's definitely been helpful to have a second manuscript going. The rejections still sting, but it's not as bad when you have a new project you're excited and hopeful about.  I'm about 20 pages into my new novel and am excited to see where it goes, and how it fares if/when the time comes to query it.

#38 mammaMia

mammaMia

The fennec fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Hoping to add something here soon.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Lora! Hopefully, an agent will feel the same way.
I got two rejections today. One form and the other agent doesn't rep science fiction. Oh wells.
And congratulations on all those requests Elizabeth! Sounds exciting!!

AWAKENED (YA science fiction) -- shelved

WHO'S THE MOST POPULAR OF THEM ALL? (upper MG contemporary) -- shelved

GUNPOWDER, SPARKLES, AND JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RUM (MG fantasy) -- writing first draft (Query here)

UNTITLED YA FANTASY -- planning

UNTITLED MG FANTASY -- planning

#39 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

So I got a response from my full....revise and resubmit.  A bit deflating, but I'm trying to see the bright side by focusing on

a.) it wasn't a rejection, per se.  

b.) it was an enthusiastic R&R with a full single-spaced page of comments.

c.) the agent offered to take some time to answer any questions I may have or to talk to me about the future of the manuscript.

Soo...at least it intrigued her enough to merit spending some time on it. 

#40 margotdarko

margotdarko

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

It's definitely been helpful to have a second manuscript going. The rejections still sting, but it's not as bad when you have a new project you're excited and hopeful about.  I'm about 20 pages into my new novel and am excited to see where it goes, and how it fares if/when the time comes to query it.

I enthusiastically second this! Querying was really getting me down until I started a completely new book. Not the planned sequel to the book I'm querying, but a completely new story. I'm only 3,000 words into it (the first chapter) but just that little bit plus all the brainstorming has completely changed how querying feels. I don't HAVE to get an agent with the book I'm currently querying. I can finish this new book (which is a more marketable idea to boot!) and then try again. I just got another form rejection, and it rolled right off me in about 60 seconds flat. I'm not even sure what number rejection it is! So far I've only gotten one personalized rejection plus one request for a full from a small publisher in amongst the slew of form rejections. But I really think this is new story is stronger, and I have a much better skill set now after writing that first book to plot this one out better. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users