#41 Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Happily writing #YA (NOTHING BUT SKY, Spring 2018) @Fluxbooks. #PitchWars mentor. Co-creator of #sunvssnow. Proud member of KICK-AZ & AZ YA/MG Writers.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

This is great Thrash! Make sure to take your time, and of course take the agent up on their offer to connect if you have questions.

*Fingers Crossed* for you!

Check out my blog: Chasing The Crazies

Follow me on Twitter

"Do one thing every day that scares you" - Eleanor Roosevelt

#42 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thrash, good luck with the revisions! As much of a bummer as it is that it isn't (yet) an offer of representation, it's wonderful that this agent has become invested enough in your story to offer the R & R, along with great feedback to strengthen the ms. It means you're almost there!

Margot, having a second ms really does change everything, doesn't it? The ms's we're querying could be picked up later, and it could be the current ms's that garner an agent. A new ms, a stronger ms, and a new hope. Happy writing, and here's to more marketable ms's (I'm in the same boat with that, too!) :). I'm feeling like this ms is really shaping up, and I'm really liking it so far, a bit rough as it is. It'll probably be done much more quickly than the first one, and take much less editing.

Writing that first novel really teaches a lot!

THE MIRRORMASTERS is now available from Clean Reads!

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 
My Author Website: http://www.lorapalmer.weebly.com

#43 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

My question now is whether to work on the WIP (and yes, having a WIP changes so much), work on revisions, keep querying or wait for more answers. 

#44 margotdarko

margotdarko

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

If you agree with the R&R suggestions, then I say definitely focus on revisions. :)

#45 LaurieElizabeth

LaurieElizabeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:My YA debut, FIRSTS, will be published by Thomas Dunne Books/St Martin's Press in 2016. I'm represented by Kathleen Rushall of MLLA.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I agree... a R&R means the agent sees the potential in the manuscript, and it sounds like you're on the right track. Congrats! :)

Margot, I was totally in the same boat for awhile when querying my first novel. While I was querying, I started working on the planned sequel, but I decided to take a break from that and start something new instead (my current WIP). It really made a world of difference to focus my attention on a whole new set of characters!

Lora... I totally agree with you that writing that first novel teaches so much, and allows the second one to get off the ground and out of the planning stages a lot faster. I outlined my first novel so much and found that the writing was a bit slower to get started. With my current WIP, I have a vague idea of where the story is going, but I'm 'pantsing' it a bit more and finding that I'm giving myself permission to try new things with my writing as a result. I'm also trying not to self-edit so much and just go where the story is going instead.

I'm on Twitter! @laurellizabeth

#46 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

So I got a response from my full....revise and resubmit.  A bit deflating, but I'm trying to see the bright side by focusing on

a.) it wasn't a rejection, per se.  

b.) it was an enthusiastic R&R with a full single-spaced page of comments.

c.) the agent offered to take some time to answer any questions I may have or to talk to me about the future of the manuscript.

Soo...at least it intrigued her enough to merit spending some time on it. 

Oooooooo!! Good luck!

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#47 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Most of the revision notes are character comments, mainly asking for characterization work on side characters. I can see what she means. I guess--I'd need to look over it more.  One comment she made was that I have sections that are heavy on the description--I'd like to see which she's talking about. 

With pretty major revisions, I can assume a period of a couple months for revisions wouldn't be out of the question, right?  I can give myself the summer for it? Or is it better to send revisions as quickly as possible?

#48 margotdarko

margotdarko

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

I haven't been lucky enough to have that level of interest yet, but I've seen others say, and I can imagine it's definitely true, that a few months for an R&R would be completely normal. I believe you're supposed to reply and thank the agent and also let them know that you are currently working on the R&R. Maybe even say something like, "I aim to have it completed by the end of the summer". Too quickly would be bad actually I believe. Good luck! :)

#49 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Elizabeth, i'm doing the same thing! I had an outline for my first one, but this one I'm pantsing with a vague idea of where it's headed (i.e. I just got to the point where the shuttle the MC is on with her family is about to land on Mars, and I think there's going to be a saboteur wreaking havoc and causing deaths, and she'll go from a place of not wanting to be there to falling in love with what they've managed to establish and wanting to fight for the colony and keep it safe.

Thrash, I wouldn't rush the revisions at all. Take the time to do them thoroughly and well to give yourself the best opportunity with this agent. Did the agent give you a time frame? Others, help me out here, but I'm thinking an email letting the agent know you intend to do the revisions, establishing a time frame with him or her (e.g., you could find out what time frame the agent expects and/or let the agent know how long you feel you might need to do the revisions, whether it's two months or the summer), and get a feel for how willing the agent might be to clarify any points in her feedback, like any areas that stood out to her as being heavy on the description. Although if the agent didn't offer to address questions about the revision suggestions, it could be something you could ask a CP to work with you on.

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 

#50 ami

ami

YA author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Liars and Losers Like Us releases March 2016 from SkyHorse/Sky Pony Press

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thrash,

I think that's great to get an R&R so early in the game.  Of course I understand why it would be hard to know what to do right this second--you are still a little early in querying as it's only been less than two weeks.  Does any of the feedback match up with stuff any betas or CPs had to say? If yes, then it might be worth it just to immerse yourself into revising, if you go over everything and agree. If you are still unsure, you might need to query for another couple weeks to see how your queries/and any other fulls pan out.  Also, the agent? If you feel like this agent could really be the one, then that should push you right there. worst case scenerio is that you polish things up and get an even better ms. 

How's everyone else? It's a new week!  Anyone else hate days where your email is quiet? I am desperately wanting to close out some of these open queries. Even a no will suffice. I really hate the practice of not sending out even a "No." or a form email to say no. Yes, I understand that some agents get soooo many. But I don't like it.  : )  

I'm writing at least 2,000 words a week on my WIP but it is hard to concentrate sometimes. AQC, Querytracker, prepping for contests--to enter or not to enter---aaarghhh...

I hope everyone has an AWESOME writing week and keep sharing your highs and lows.

My high last week was ending it with 3 fulls out and a partial 

My low was not making that top 25 for the May Pitch +250--only bc it makes me think my first 250 might not be great for contests. Also another low was having to clean the bathtub cuz my toddler pooped in it!  EWWWW!  : )

Ami

Twitter: @amilouiseallen

Blog: Ami with an I

#51 margotdarko

margotdarko

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

My low was not making that top 25 for the May Pitch +250--only bc it makes me think my first 250 might not be great for contests. Also another low was having to clean the bathtub cuz my toddler pooped in it!  EWWWW!  : )

Chin up! I didn't make the top 50. That was pretty disappointing for a few days.

Toddler poop is never fun. I have somehow made it to over 2.5 years with my little guy and no stray poop! 

#52 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:BIRTH OF SAINTS trilogy(Harper Voyager): GRUDGING, FAITHFUL (Nov 15, 2016, Book 3 (Nov 2017). KINDAR'S CURE. Short stories in anthologies from EBP. Host of Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, PB Party, Sun versus Snow.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I didn't make the top 50 either. Did get two new small requests from the Savvy Authors pitch contest! Other than that, all has been quite. 

Trash, if you do the R&R be sure to save it under a different file name. That way if another agent loves the old version, you still have both.  I'm sure you already decided to do just that. Best of luck.

25815723.jpg  29242455.jpg  16415686.jpg   18159598.jpg  20957949.jpg   

Blog: It's in the Details
Twitter

#53 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

I didn't make the top 50 either, so I'm not sure how I'll fare in Query Kombat, but it'll be fun to try anyway. I did tweak the opening pages a little. I've had no new news, really, except that my pitches on the last two Savvy Authors pitches weren't chosen. Oh, well.

I think my new WIP will fare better when its time comes.

Oh, and yes, it's sooo hard when the inbox is quiet. I Still keep checking. A lot.

#54 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:BIRTH OF SAINTS trilogy(Harper Voyager): GRUDGING, FAITHFUL (Nov 15, 2016, Book 3 (Nov 2017). KINDAR'S CURE. Short stories in anthologies from EBP. Host of Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, PB Party, Sun versus Snow.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

I got into Miss Snark's secret agent contest! Yay! So excited, though I didn't make the Writer's Voice.

Twitter

#55 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

What Michelle said, Thrash^^

I was doing an R&R for another pub. when my actual publisher offered, and my agent came on board, etc.

Long story short -- actual publisher does NOT want all the changes requested in the R&R. So you should always keep various versions (as I'm sure you know).

And -- YAY! Michelle!

#56 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Ooh, yay, Michelle! I didn't know about that one :). I missed the rafflecopter for Writer's Voice, so am sitting that one out. Psyched for the twitter pitch party later this month, though.

#57 mammaMia

mammaMia

The fennec fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Hoping to add something here soon.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Oh wow. I've never heard of these contests before except for Query Kombat. I can't believe I missed out :( Oh wells. Good luck to everyone participating!

AWAKENED (YA science fiction) -- shelved

WHO'S THE MOST POPULAR OF THEM ALL? (upper MG contemporary) -- shelved

GUNPOWDER, SPARKLES, AND JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RUM (MG fantasy) -- writing first draft (Query here)

UNTITLED YA FANTASY -- planning

UNTITLED MG FANTASY -- planning

#58 ami

ami

YA author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Liars and Losers Like Us releases March 2016 from SkyHorse/Sky Pony Press

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Mama Mia: If you get active on twitter and check the contest forum here, you'll find out about pitch opportunities and contests!

Congrats on Miss Snark's contest Michelle--I'll be rooting for you!  I got cold feet and didn't enter so I am going to go for Query Kombat! come on Ladies!

The hosts are doing a great job of making it seem so fun.  

Ami

Twitter: @amilouiseallen

Blog: Ami with an I

#59 Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

Amy Trueblood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Happily writing #YA (NOTHING BUT SKY, Spring 2018) @Fluxbooks. #PitchWars mentor. Co-creator of #sunvssnow. Proud member of KICK-AZ & AZ YA/MG Writers.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Congrats to all the good news.

Last week ended with 2 rejections (queries) one was personalized from an agent I know pretty well. She said my query was strong, but she had a client with something too similar (makes me a little nervous). I've decided to hold off on querying any more until I hear from agents who already have my requested materials.

On a lighter note, I made the top 25 for the Pitch +250 and I entered QueryKombat (wink,wink, Michelle!!!)

Hope you all have a great week with LOTS of good news :smile:

Check out my blog: Chasing The Crazies

Follow me on Twitter

"Do one thing every day that scares you" - Eleanor Roosevelt

#60 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm having so much fun with Query Kombat today. I hope everyone enters.

We have three slush piles so I may or may not have your entry.

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users