Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

I would wait a little longer between volleys---most agents don't respond to queries within a week, so if you wait a little longer you may have more opportunity to see if your query is working.

#682 WriterSteph1982

WriterSteph1982

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:51 PM

I have  (FINALLY!) made it to my final draft!  WOOHOO!!! Wait...the thought of writing a query letter TERRIFIES me  :unsure: Please, please help! I thought I'd be okay going by examples but I feel so out of my element I feel like crying - mostly because I'm afraid of doing it wrong.  I have zilch. No synopsis (can't figure those out either) NOTHING  :sad:

#683 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

Question, about how long does it take for a partial/full review?

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

#684 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

Honestly (and maddeningly) that really depends. Fulls take longer. But I wouldn't even give either a thought until the 4 week mark has run. Part of the problem is you have no idea how many other partials or fulls are sitting in the agent's TBR pile. This is a waiting game. As long as they are not exclusive though the good news is you can go right on. And should you ever chose to give someone an exclusive on a full THAT MUST be limited--e.g. 2 weeks imo, not more.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#685 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

2 weeks to a year.

I know, it's crazy-making to wait. Look at the agent's website, as many have average turn around times, and if it's been a good bit longer, then send a polite nudge. If there is no turn around time listed, wait at least 3 months before nudging.

#686 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Welp, here I am. yaaaaay

#687 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:23 AM

Hello lovely people,

If there's one thing I wish I knew before I started querying, it's just how bloody long the whole thing takes.

I sent my first tentative query out one year ago! A freakin' year!

I have since revised my query (about 5 times), and I have participated in Twitter pitch fests (#DVpit and #PitMad.)

So far, I am 30 queries in. I currently have 2 agents who have my full, and a publishing agency who has it too.

All up, I think I have had 10 requests. 8 fulls and 2 partials.

Am so sick of my book. Sick of agents. Sick of querying. Sick, sick, sick.

Then I remind myself that all it takes is ONE YES.

#688 Gibber

Gibber

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Tooling around in fanfiction until shit got real.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

Then I remind myself that all it takes is ONE YES.

That's ridiculously true. I'd queried my fourth manuscript to death. All the rejections with feedback I received said the same things (opening wasn't strong enough, etc) and I retired the it. Still had a few queries floating around, but it had been months since I heard anything. Then one agent got back requesting an R&R (my first). I was gearing up to start querying manuscript #5 but started fiddling with the R&R. Then a different agent said one of her colleagues referred my #4 manuscript to her and could I please send the full?

I almost didn't do it. Waffled for two days. I was revising, after all, and might have better luck with the next book. Eventually decided "Oh screw it, what's the worst she could say? Another no?"

A month later she offered me rep on that flawed little thing, and now, after much revision, we're getting ready to go out on submission (and I pee my pants a little every time I think about that).

tl;dr: don't ever give up.

#689 Faltho

Faltho

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon best-seller; Playing Smarter, Using Math: The Traveling Mathematician's Guide to Playing the Lottery (Self-Published)

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Just began trying to query my second manuscript. In fact, going to be sending out five more queries today, bringing the total to ten before the waiting game of rejections.

I've queried before. My first manuscript went over well with betas and even got some really positive feedback from Pitchwars mentors. However, the query (or first few pages) must've been awful because I ended up only getting a couple requests (out of like 50) that never went anywhere. Anyway after wallowing around in rejection induced sadness for a couple months, I saw an interview with someone from AQConnect. It talked about how writing and publishing is very much a game that you can only lose if you give up.

Now, I don't have a success story. My second manuscript could be a complete flop and never even get a single request from an agent. But, I love to see posts like Gibber's that remind us not to give up and to keep pressing on no matter how fractured we believe our own work to be.

#690 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:41 AM

I need help, and hugs, and commiserations.

Ugh. So for the past few months, 4 agents and one publishing company have had my full manuscript. I have now been rejected by two of those agents.

Seriously, I am losing hope, and most days I am so damn depressed it just drags me down.

Since you guys are the only people who understand, I want to share my personalised rejections. Please tell me what you think they mean. Or at least, send me a virtual beer, or something. I am feeling pretty low today.

Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to consider The Honoured Society. There was a lot to admire about this manuscript and I think you’re a talented writer. I especially enjoyed the complex character of Apolla and her distinctive voice. In the end, however, I thought this book straddled several genres and would likely be difficult to place. For that reason I’m going to step aside. I’m sorry I can’t offer you better news. Other agents, of course, might feel differently and I encourage you to keep trying.

Thank you again for thinking of me. I wish you the very best in finding suitable representation.

All best,

(agent)

Second:

Dear Lisa,

It took me a long time to get back to you because I was torn: while I love your premise and like your writing, I didn't feel like I'd be the best agent to place your book in the US market right now.

I think you have something on your hands, but it needs revisions. When doing that, keep in mind the great advice for fiction writers: show, don't tell. Your character tells us a lot of things about herself, for instance, that would be much stronger if we could see that in the text.

Courage, as they say in French, and keep writing!

Thanks guys. I really value your input.

#691 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

*Virtual beer*

I think they don't mean anything other than exactly what they say. They liked it, but didn't think they could sell it and each had a very different reason. With personalized rejections of your full, after you pound your head into the wall, boil down to two categories: things you can do something about and things you can't.  The first one---that's not something you can fix on your end.  She doesn't have the contacts to place a genre-straddling book so you just need to keep looking for someone comfortable with that, or someone who has a cleaner vision of your genre.  The second one is something you can do something about, but only if you agree. Read through your book again---does your MC explain too much? Do you like that style yourself or do you think you could balance it out? Don't dive into revisions right away, as you need some time to fall in love with your book again after receiving this blow. I hope you're working on something totally new in the mean time while you wait on your other fulls. 

#692 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:32 AM

Thank you, Thrash.

I didn't really agree with the second agent, to be honest. I felt it was necessary for the MC to tell rather than show at the beginning. She is calculating and biding her time, then she switches from inactive to active.

It's not something I am willing to change.

And yes, I am working on another project in the meantime. (16,000 words in as of yesterday.)

It just drives me crazy sometimes, even though I understand that that is the nature of the business.

Thank you for your words. I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users