#1 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

I'm fascinated that there are so few posts here. These genre's are some of the most popular of all time. The form is built on one of the oldest story forms, the quest. The rewards are usually a restored sense of the order of the world. Why should so few of us be interested in this?

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

I suppose it's because people don't realize their story is a mystery/thriller? 

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#3 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

LOL, my MG novels are definitely mysteries. But, I don't think people want to hang out discussing who the camp theif is when there are murderers on the streets of other novels.

*thinks*

Yep, just picturing me running my red herrings by Bones and laughing hysterically at what that would look like.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#4 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Yeah, Tom. I've wondered about that, too. I've been a bad mod here, though. I don't start threads that might invoke replies. I believe it's just the slant of AQC. I think mystery writers are in the extreme minority here, but I could be wrong. I was getting the impression that there were mostly YA writers and SF/Fantasy writers here. Dunno.

I wish I had more to say here, trust me. I really can't come up with interesting thread ideas.

And it IS funny: I think there are more agents open to mysteries/thrillers than any other genre, but again, I could be wrong. It was just an impression I got when I was searching for an agent for my book.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#5 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

LOL, my MG novels are definitely mysteries. But, I don't think people want to hang out discussing who the camp theif is when there are murderers on the streets of other novels.

*thinks*

Yep, just picturing me running my red herrings by Bones and laughing hysterically at what that would look like.

hahahha, Cat! My heroin addicted ex-cop would love to figure out who the camp thief is. He'd find it like a holiday. :wink: :wink: :wink:

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have always admired mystery writers. I doubt I could craft such a novel. But I certainly enjoy reading the good ones (like Bones's book)

#7 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

I think mystery writers are in the extreme minority here, but I could be wrong.

Mystery is my first, true literary love. If an author can keep me guessing to the end, I'm his for life. Uhm, yeah. After my hubby, of course.

Cat Woods

#8 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

I always wanted to write a mystery. I have an entire bookshelf filled with nothing but Agatha Christie, Dick Francis, Raymond Chandler... But while I can come up with characters and romantic tension and the murders themselves... I just can't make it "mysterious" enough. I'm bad with the whole clues thing. My poor trunk is stuffed to overflowing. I finally just gave up and focused on my spec-fic.

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#9 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Leigh, there is definitely an art to writing a good mystery.

I started with Encyclopedia Brown, then moved up to Trixie Beldon, Mickey Spillane, Alfred Hitchcock, and of course, Agatha.

And as much as I love adult mysteries, I don't know that I could do justice to them. Like you, I have a crate full of ideas...

Cat Woods

#10 Bridget

Bridget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

I think we have the makings of quite a crossover plot here: my spunky mathematician, Cat's campsite constable, and Bones's heroin-addicted ex-cop...  Nothing could get past that team!

#11 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

There are some VERY good books on how to write a good mystery. The one "How to Write a Damn Good Mystery" is pretty great. I met that guy, Frey. Went to his house for a workshop. Total dickhead but he knows what he's talking about in that book. I recommend that if you love the genre, at least give it a shot and see what happens. Hell, if you don't think it's great, switch all the ages of everyone to like 12 or 13. Or make them 20 years older. That would open up a HELLUVA lot of opportunities for interesting roads to go down, etc.

#12 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

There are some VERY good books on how to write a good mystery. The one "How to Write a Damn Good Mystery" is pretty great.

I've seen that one on the shelf at B&N, but I've never thought to pick it up. Shocking, considering how many authorly "how to" books I own. Forensics for Writers, anyone? My favorite is the chapter on poisons. I even have little magnetic bookmarks of a noose, revolver, chalk outline, crime tape, and magnifying glass.  :cool:

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#13 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Forensics for Writers, anyone? My favorite is the chapter on poisons. I even have little magnetic bookmarks of a noose, revolver, chalk outline, crime tape, and magnifying glass.  :cool:

Wow, that is so cool.  :cool: 

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

#14 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

My writing is more on the romantic-suspense side, which I believe is pretty darn popular, and fits right in here. I'm constantly checking this forum for new threads and always disappointed to see none.

So, hey everybody, let's get talking!  There's got to be something interesting to discuss.

Unfortunately, my little brain hasn't got anything at the moment.

:blink:  

#15 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

By far my favorite genre is mystery suspense followed by science fiction fantasy, and that is a direct product of being much emotionally enamored with the tradition of the quest.  The search for truth or a vision of it is very much married to these genre's.  I prefer the mystery because it can be expressed in proletarian terms that don't require the leap of imagination required by either science fiction or fantasy.  I think this is the reason for the mystery's predominant popularity and its penetration of so many other genre's

#16 Brenna

Brenna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:U.S. and abroad.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

My novel is a literary thriller, and it also happens to be one of my favorite genres to read.

#17 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Last month I finished the manuscript for my first book, a mystery / suspense, working on the sequel now. It seemed strangely cathartic to me, having spent over twenty years in law enforcement. I think there are any numbers of great topics out there to write about, just check the daily news, it's just finding a way to put your own spin / twist on it.

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#18 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Glad to see you've found us, Andrew.  Let's keep this conversation going.  I'm still trying to find out how to get the Admin's attention to our suggestion.

#19 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Last month I finished the manuscript for my first book, a mystery / suspense, working on the sequel now. It seemed strangely cathartic to me, having spent over twenty years in law enforcement. I think there are any numbers of great topics out there to write about, just check the daily news, it's just finding a way to put your own spin / twist on it.

YES! This is what I've been looking at. I want to do an anthology of re-written obscure fairy tales.    

#20 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'm here of course & write suspense/thrillers/commercial fiction. But for me, I'd feel more comfortable discussing plot lines if the forum were password protected.  Jmho. 

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users