#21 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Darke

Yeah, the truth is nothing much has changed over the centuries. It's how we put our own unique twist onto the subject. Murder is murder, but how your antagonist achieves the end result  is where the art of the story lies. 

YES! This is what I've been looking at. I want to do an anthology of re-written obscure fairy tales.    

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#22 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

Joey, you can hit the Think Tank for that. It's a great place to ask for some help in untwining those tangles--or adding knots if you so choose.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#23 Brighton

Brighton

Radioactive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Yeah it is weird that this thread is so dead. We must solve the mystery of what killed it! (Okay bad joke). 

"The truth was that Jay Gatsby, of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his Platonic conception of himself. ...and to this conception he was faithful to the end." -The Great Gatsby

#24 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE, THE HILO HUSTLE, THE PAHALA TWIST, and THE WAIMEA TWO-STEP are available at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and CreateSpace.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah it is weird that this thread is so dead. We must solve the mystery of what killed it! (Okay bad joke). 

Miss Peacock in the library with a candlestick?

#25 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Miss Peacock in the library with a candlestick?

After extensive investigation, Miss Peacock is no longer a suspect. It seems her alibi checked out. Mr. Feathers swears he was all over her between the hours of midnight and 6:00 a.m., well within the presumed time of the murder.

I believe we should refocus the investigation on one, Mr. Cogburn, who was suspiciously absent at the crack of dawn from his appointed post.

As you know, slivers of eggshell were found at the scene, buried within the fibers of the priceless oriental carpet. They were first thought to be remnants of the victim's usual breakfast consisting of hard boiled eggs, hot tea, and toast. However, upon further consideration, I feel the mysterious alteration in Mr. Cogburn's schedule should be looked into.

#26 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Please.  Please.  They guy at the door looks like a NFL tackle, but he's carrying a sawed off shotgun and wants to know where Maisie is.  What do you tell him?

#27 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

That's no NFL tackle, Tom. It's Bruce Willis in disguise, and Maisie is code word for "terrorist."

It's your duty as an American citizen to help him. The terrorist is hiding in the garage! 

#28 Quiana Kyles

Quiana Kyles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Former Editorial Assistant For Chicago Sun-Times/Chicago Communicator Newspaper/Silent Whispers & Abstract Soul lulu.com/Currently Chicago Gospel Poetry Examiner "Poetry N Motion" Examiner.com

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

You, have to be ready to just think outside of the box....How in the world can mystery and faith based projects go hand and hand???When the realm of your faith is outlined loud and clear. We all know that tragic moments happen but when we add faith to it. This makes the journey through the realm of writing mysteries different. Through my projects I hope to not just expose the truth behind bad choices that can either lead to jail time ect. If you place the element of God in the mix teaching tha t love does play a bigger factor in the mix...This then becomes more then just mere stories on shelves but lives will be truly transformed.

I want to break that stigma that once your saved then all else never happens. Christians go through tragic moments in time, like the death of a love one (where in some cases the bad people are or not caught),hardship with lossing employment, etc..These are real life issues that many I hope will relate to and still understanding that we arn't perfect but we rely on our dedication to our relationship through Christ which brings about change. This writing is one that has never been tapped into and I plan to take these projects ot the big screen someday.....So no longer can I be quiet! Too much to say...

#29 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

I think I'm with Joey.  Of course this forum started a public enterprise in order to attract adherents.  We may no be many be we who we are.  Why don't you petition Bones or is this enough?

#30 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

I have been summoned!

Seriously though, I've been swamped and burned-out. I'm going to try once again to be back here more often. :smile:

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#31 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Is that an effect of being published Bones?  Maybe I should back off...

#32 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Unfortunately, Tom, it is. The publicity push for book 1, along with me having to get what signings I could, blogging where I could, running a couple contests, getting my name and my book out there? Burned me out, heavy-like. All this while struggling with my father's death and writing book 2 and now I get the galleys for book 2 in early December but I'm ALSO now starting to edit book 3 and the publicity push for book 2 will start next month or so and and and and... oh, I'm also developing an idea that my agent loves, for a stand-alone.

... but this is because I'm writing a series and drew a multi-book deal. It's not like this for everyone, though I know writers who are with major houses and they are VERY busy and burned out, too, what with appearances, flying around the country doing panels and stuff. It's all fucking GREAT, man, BUT it IS rough after a time. There is SO much now on the author's shoulders, and of course we want our books to succeed, right?

This is the job, and it's a job I love. I love writing to death, which is good because it'll probably be the death of me! :wink:

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

#33 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Carla Norton is a personal friend of mine, just published her debut, also the first of a series, and suffers much as you do.  If you haven't noticed Bones, I haven't been much around the place either.  Don't worry about it.  The light's always on when I come back.

#34 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hey Bones, you're doing what needs to be done. We're all hoping Mallen catches fire with readers. The guy I lent my copy to loved it and hasn't returned it yet. He's eager to read the second. I totally believe you have an audience developing!

#35 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hey Bones, you're doing what needs to be done. We're all hoping Mallen catches fire with readers. The guy I lent my copy to loved it and hasn't returned it yet. He's eager to read the second. I totally believe you have an audience developing!

SWEET! That's good news to here, and that's a for sure. Thanks for sending that along. :biggrin:

Carla Norton is a personal friend of mine, just published her debut, also the first of a series, and suffers much as you do.  If you haven't noticed Bones, I haven't been much around the place either.  Don't worry about it.  The light's always on when I come back.

Thank you, Tom. Hope all is going well!

#36 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hey, I just fought back against my captors and have freed myself from the dank, dark basement they have held me for the last several months........ can't believe the lengths some nefarious ne'er do wells will go to in order to keep me from publishing my book.......... well, that sounds a lot better than dealing with "kid" issues.

Anyway I'm back, glad I apparently have not missed too much. Glad to see you're doing well with the Mallen books Robert !!

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

#37 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks, Andrew!

#38 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hoping to join you in the published world shortly. Just finishing up the final formatting / cover issues as we speak.

#39 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

So sad to hear that we lost Joey and her Evil Little Manuscript  on 10/10/13.............. Prayers for her and her family.

#40 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

I just saw that. She was SOOOOO nice and helpful. Just seemed like a true person. Very sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users