#1 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and my first novel was released in Sept. 2014.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Tell fellow AQCers what you're reading or finishing up right now in this genre bracket. Compare notes, give a review (make sure you alert us if your comments include a spoiler!), or give us the low-down on why you really enjoy what you're reading.

#2 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE, THE HILO HUSTLE, THE PAHALA TWIST, and THE WAIMEA TWO-STEP are available at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and CreateSpace.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

An oldie but a really, really goodie -- "Riding the Rap" by Elmore Leonard.

#3 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

I'm reading "Killing Floor", the first Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child. It's fucking awesome.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#4 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Bones, I just picked up my second Child book, The Hard Way, which appears to be his 10th.

I am currently reading my first Michael Connelly novel, The Brass Verdict. The cover proclaims:

"The best mystery writer in the world." GQ

GQ needs a new lit critic. I'm not terribly impressed. There's way to much needless explanation and detail.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#5 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE, THE HILO HUSTLE, THE PAHALA TWIST, and THE WAIMEA TWO-STEP are available at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and CreateSpace.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

Now it's "Windy City Blues" by Sara Paretsky

#6 tmcgee86

tmcgee86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS South

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

I'm reading the first Reacher novel and I seriously do not understand how he is so popular. There are times where I think his writing is laughable. As in this line:

"It was about as distinctive as the most distinctive thing you could ever think of."

I'm sorry, that's poor writing. And I hate how he says "straight away" all the time. How does an editor not catch that and change it to "right away." Nobody in America says "straight away."

#7 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Gee, that's called "voice."Posted Image

"Straight away" is military jargon. It's dialect, not incorrect verbiage.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#8 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

That doesn't make it any less clunky.
But then, Lee Child is making mint. I'll just shut up now.

#9 tmcgee86

tmcgee86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

"Straight away" is military jargon. It's dialect, not incorrect verbiage.

Meh, he might be able to dupe me if I didn't know for a fact that he's a Brit, and he wasn't in the military. Plus not only Reacher but other characters, including American females, say it too.

I looked past it at first because I had the same initial reaction that you did in that I figured it was voice and that Reacher, being an army brat, grew up all over the globe and must have picked it up somewhere in his youth. But when other characters started using it, I had to call BS.

And that's not even the worst offense in his book. The Secret Service is in charge of counterfeit investigations, not the FBI or the Treasury Dept. I know the SS is technically part of the Treasury dept, but why not say it. To me it just looks like a Brit who didn't do enough research and just assumed it would be the Treasury Dept.

I know, I know, I'm jealous, I freely admit it. But I know great writing, and I just don't see it when I read Lee Child.

#10 mcfangus

mcfangus

The martini is proof that God loves us.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:newspaper op-eds

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

I'll tell you straight away, I started the latest Reacher novel and didn't even finish it. Trite garbage. The concept was interesting in the first books, but it's just the same thing over and over and over again.

#11 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

Heh, I guess I'm a fan of trite garbage.

I've been reading an enormous amount lately - trying to cover a long list of authors of mystery through their whole body of work. I read 3 Child novels in 6 days, and lost a huge amount of sleep in the process, reading till 2-3 am.

I have reservations about the endless short sentences, repetitive ands and other little gimmicks, but the bottom line is the way he knits a plot and impels me forward.

Not working for you, cool. I love it, and I'm learning some stuff too.

No accounting for people's differences in taste.Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#12 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

In Oz we always say 'straight away', not 'right away'.

#13 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

You guys will all be pleased to learn that Jack Reacher is dead. Posted ImageAt least that's the conclusion I reach at the end of 61 Hours.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#14 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:28 PM

My favorite author of suspense is Sandra Brown. I'm pretty sure I've read all of her suspense novels, but for a small few, and those I'm on the lookout for. I just finished her new release, Lethal. And it just got added to my top favorite list, along with two of her others, Play Dirty and Ricochet.

I also just finished an on-line class called Hook, Line and Sinker, about how to hook your readers from start to finish. And Sandra Brown accomplishes this all the way with Lethal.

Not only could I not put it down, but as soon as I finished it, I wanted to read it again. (I refrained, of course).

I highly recommend it!

#15 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

I'm reading Viridis by our own Calista Taylor. It's steampunk romance but there's a mystery element that I'm enjoying a lot. And it's a fun read over all. I highly recommend it!

Next up is Diary of a Small Fish. I think you know that author too.

#16 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

I just finished "The Maltese Falcon" and am now more than halfway through "Naked Came the Manatee."

#17 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

Sorry Reacher isn't dead, but he hasn't been diluted to mere human yet either. I enjoyed "The Affair" with popcorn on a lazy afternoon.

I've read the latest Jesse Stone novel not written by Robert B. Parker. Quite an achievement from the writer - most people won't notice the difference.

On my Kindle waiting for consumption: John Sandford's "Shock Wave"

#18 Raymond2012

Raymond2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:optional

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

I read The Giver, this is one of my favorite books and I’m reading this for the second time.

#19 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

Just finished reading The Rum Diary by the gonzo man himself, Hunter S. Thompson. Talk about voice, it's gritty, sometimes innocent, sometimes filthy. But it's great for my research into manspeak. He's a very masculine type of writer, and it's a bawdy romp through San Juan in what I'd call the "Mad Men" era.

Set in Puerto Rico (I was born btw on an AFB there), I'm familiar with the island, and I guess that's what makes this book even more fun for me. Liked it. One of these days, if it's still in a theater and I can get some time, I'll go sit in the back, get a popcorn and a coke zero, and smuggle in my purse a teeny bottle of rum (for the coke zero), and drink it to toast Mr. Thompson on his first novel. It's hard to believe he was 22 when he wrote it.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#20 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

I'm about to wrap up "Grift Sense" by James Swain. It's set in Las Vegas so as usual, it's interesting to see how yet another novelist treats the town -- and also, to find minor technical errors.
After this one's done, I'll need to decide what's next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users