#1 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS South

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi, everyone, I am new here. Since many of you seem experienced with the writing world, I'd like to ask a question about NyreePress publishing. I notice they offer several publishing packages, ranging in the thousands. I've read over and over again about scammers charging high fees to publish. Does anyone have any information on them? They seem to be legitimate. By them being new to publishing, I am wondering if that is the reason behind the large fee amounts. I'm not sure, though, being that I am just starting out. Any feedback will be helpful for this journey I'm on. Thanks in advance.

#2 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

That's a vanity press. A true traditional publisher (even a small or indie press) will NEVER charge you ANYTHING to publish your book.

Their wording is nice, and they make it sound so reasonable and reassuring. Probably some of the best I've seen. They're still a vanity press, though. If you're wanting to see your book in a bookstore, don't go with them. If you don't care if your book sees the fluorescent lighting of Powell's or B&N and are cool with online sales, self-publishing is FAR cheaper and you have complete control.

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#3 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Yup, Vanity Press. Run. Run away!

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#4 S Jenan

S Jenan

Even my dreams are third person past tense.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

As long as you remember that money should always flow TO the writer, you'll keep out of trouble. Your contribution should be words and characters and ideas so compelling that people will gladly pay money to ride along.

WIP - Black Sea. It's not about the Black Sea.

Twitter: @sljenan Follow my ongoing quest to tweet that elusive 141st character...

Blog: The Slosh Pile More alcohol stuff than writer stuff. Wait, alcohol stuff IS writer stuff...

#5 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of a five book cozy mystery series -- the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series -- with Crooked Lane Books. Books one, two, and three out now, book four out Jan. 2020. New mystery series -- the Booklovers B&B series -- contracted with Crooked Lane for future publication.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

My book is being published by an indie press and I am paying them NOTHING.  As others have said, the press should invest in you and your work, not the other way around.

#6 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

By them being new to publishing, I am wondering if that is the reason behind the large fee amounts.

I also wanted to address this as I missed it the first time. I just started up a small press and I would never DREAM of charging the writer. As a previous poster said, your contribution is your words. It's my job to make them make money for the both of us.

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#7 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks so much for all of your feedback. I will keep away from them!

#8 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

I also wanted to address this as I missed it the first time. I just started up a small press and I would never DREAM of charging the writer. As a previous poster said, your contribution is your words. It's my job to make them make money for the both of us.

Exactly. Thanks a lot!

#9 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Sorry to bother you all again, but has anyone queried the Steve Laube Agency? If so, can you tell me whether or not it is truly necessary to send in a synopsis, chapter by chapter outline, sales handle, marketing strategy, etc. up front? I'd rather know there is interest before doing all of that.
Thanks in advance.

#10 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Are you submitting fiction or non-fiction? Proposals, marketing plans etc are generally for non-fiction.

Read their guidelines, most agencies have some place on the website detailing exactly what they want, so send them what they ask for  :smile:

#11 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

http://stevelaube.com/guidelines/

That's what his guidelines state. If you want to query him then you'll have to do all of that, I'm afraid. I've never heard of an agency asking for some of those things for fiction, though. It's a little odd.

Are you writing Christian fiction? That appears to be what this agency handles. I'd hate for you to go through all that trouble and it not be your genre.

#12 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

@Awexley: I'm writing fiction. Those guidelines just seemed to be a bit much for simply inquiring. I guess I'm slightly nervous about doing all of that because of the rejections I've been getting.

@LeighT: Yes, I'm writing Christian Fiction. So, I guess I better get to work.

Thanks

#13 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of a five book cozy mystery series -- the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series -- with Crooked Lane Books. Books one, two, and three out now, book four out Jan. 2020. New mystery series -- the Booklovers B&B series -- contracted with Crooked Lane for future publication.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Have you tried The Seymour Agency?  They handle Christian fiction and have more typical querying protocols. http://www.theseymou...ubmissions.html

#14 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

@LucidDreamer: Yes, I've tried and was rejected. Thanks, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users