#1 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've been published in magazines. Non-fiction so far. I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

Tell fellow AQCers what you're reading or finishing up right now in this genre bracket. Compare notes, give a review (make sure you alert us if your comments include a spoiler!), or give us the low-down on why you really enjoy what you're reading.

#2 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Proud indie author =)

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hey! Right now I'm reading two books by the same author, Ally Carter: One is called Only the Good Spy Young, which is a part of the Gallagher Girls series about a 16 yr old girl who is training to be a spy. She is starting her junior year and now she is in even more danger as she gets closer to finding out how her father died and about the group who attempted to kidnap her last term.

The other book I'm reading is called Heist Society,its like a younger version of Ocean's Eleven and is about a thief named Kat who get kicked out of boarding school when someone frames her, only to find that her family needs her for a "job" but she wants out.
Rules are meant to be broken.

#3 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Articles for work. Warbreaker by Brian Sanderson.

#4 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've been published in magazines. Non-fiction so far. I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Breone--I love Ally Carter's books! I've read them all and can't wait for the next Gallagher Girl book in the series.

MzBuzz--Warbreaker was a strong read for me. I love the way the characters develop and the plot twists that change all of your built up perceptions.

#5 MzBuzz

MzBuzz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I freelance as a formatter for a local small publisher and anyone else that would like to hire me. I also perform technical editing, transcription, etc.

I have one novel in final draft form and it's sequel in progress. I also have a mystery novel forming. Plus ideas for a thousand more...

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

MzBuzz--Warbreaker was a strong read for me. I love the way the characters develop and the plot twists that change all of your built up perceptions.

THat is what I aspire to! :blush: :laugh:

#6 baguette

baguette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:academic articles (Poland) and ESL for flight crew (France)...interesting, but not my true calling.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

Eloisa James - A Kiss at Midnight. Love her style. Think I've read all of her romances.

#7 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Gotta Have It: 69 Stories of Sudden Sex, edited by Rachel Kramer Bussell. So far so good :-) Review to come (heh heh) soon!

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

#8 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:49 PM

There are certain authors whose books I collect and I aspire to read everything they have written. One of those is Stephanie Laurens. In my opinion, no one can describe a kiss as good as she does. She can devote an entire page to one kiss and I still want her to keep going.
You've got to read "Taste of Innocence" for some really awsome romance and turn you on sizzling scenes. Possibly my favorite of hers so far.:wub:

#9 BlackRose

BlackRose

Romantically Inclined

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Does my small town college annual anthology count?

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

I'm going to go pick up JR Ward's Envy, primarily because I heart her very much and because I think she is great. Wait sorry I haven't said anything about the book, well, I have read just about everything she has written and this series (Fallen Angels)is great so far, so I have to keep on reading to see where it goes. I just reread (for the umpteenth time) Zsadist's story from her Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Love him...num num

I read incredibly fast, like knock out 500pgs in a day fast, so I just finished reading Hit List by Laurell K Hamilton, which is more Chick Lit than romance, loved that so much I bought it twice (eBook and hardcover)and Edward is awesome. She managed to write a line in there so great that I had to highlight it just so I could remember always how awesome Edward is. I also just finished reading Jeaniene Frost's One Grave at a Time, love her as well.
Have a minute? Visit me at my blog: My link

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

#10 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

Everything I can get my hands on by C.J. Box, the vast majority are a series about Wyoming Game Warden, Joe Pickett. Lovely mysteries with great characters.

The best are Pickett's growing family, two, then three, then two, then three again little girls growing with their parents, Joe and Marybeth Pickett. That's unusual in a mystery series.

#11 StreetSpeed

StreetSpeed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

I’m reading Rescue Me by Rachel Gibson, the book is quite interesting but not that much, but good for a time pass.

#12 CapeCodCurvy

CapeCodCurvy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Board of Directors for the nationally recognized Cape Cod Writers Center. Editor of several political, non-profit books and newsletters. Writer for Inside Cape Cod, Cape Cod Times, Artistic Forum, A-Plus, Cape Cod Home, Cape Cod Dream and Cape Cod Life. Editor of Speaker to Speaker, Gavel to Gavel, The Handbook of State Legislative Leaders. Book reviewer / blogger / maniac.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

I just burned through Suzanne Brockmann 's whole series on navy seals - awesome. Her dialogue and the way it is edited was brilliant!

#13 CapeCodCurvy

CapeCodCurvy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Board of Directors for the nationally recognized Cape Cod Writers Center. Editor of several political, non-profit books and newsletters. Writer for Inside Cape Cod, Cape Cod Times, Artistic Forum, A-Plus, Cape Cod Home, Cape Cod Dream and Cape Cod Life. Editor of Speaker to Speaker, Gavel to Gavel, The Handbook of State Legislative Leaders. Book reviewer / blogger / maniac.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

LOVED THIS ONE: http://capecodscribe...-adult-fiction/

#14 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

I guess I'm weird... At the moment I'm reading the complete works of Tolstoy and for bedtime reading I switch over to In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam by Robert McNamara.

Official NOOK fangirl and sometime B&N employee. Opinions are my own.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~ Ray Bradbury
♥      website     
     facebook          twitter          tumblr          booklikes          pinterest     

#15 Warrior

Warrior

Fight to the end, and even then, never give up.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

I need to read more Tolstoy. In particular his short stories...

"Fools say that they learn by experience. I prefer to learn by other people's experience." - Otto Von Bismarck

"There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If, therefore, we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage.” – John Witherspoon

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

#16 CapeCodCurvy

CapeCodCurvy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

Just finished FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS. Review here: http://capecodscribe...s-ya-dystopian/

#17 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

I'm reading my cp's latest manuscripts and then curled up w/a megalodon a few minutes ago, and started HELL'S AQUARIUM. Probably not the literary equivalent of say, Faulkner, but it sounds fun, plus I was a former bio-major before switching to nuke med and I saw a big shark when I was snorkeling off the coast of tiny St. James island this July. (there's also video of my hubby trying to touch a 5 ft barracuda on my blog, in case you'd like to see it~ http://www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com)

I can't resist a thriller with big teeth! We'll see if this author knows his marine biology. Supposedly his "Meg" book (first one) is in film production now? I hope this one doesn't get tossed across the room.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#18 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

Whipped through that novel. Good, but some techno-jargon got in the way and I'm all about techno stuff and biology/medicine, but when too much is thrown your way, it ruins flow of the book.

A decent read. Good premise, but the ending I didn't like. The "false-sea" concept actually reminds me of Jules Verne and the Journey to the Center of the Earth, where a subterranean sea exists, but the false sea floor idea is cool. Not sure if it could actually happen though.

Now listening (courtesy of Audible) to 11.22.62 by Stephen King. Making good use of my drive time to-and from work. It's got a great beginning. Should provide a break inbetween bouts of idea-storming for my manuscript and for future manuscripts during my long commute to/from work.

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#19 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

OMG. 11.22.63 has probably the most beautiful first chapter of any book I've ever written. It brought tears to my eyes as the mc (a high school English teacher) builds a friendship with the disabled school janitor he's teaching in the adult GED class. How a simple writing assignment changed his life.

Love love love it. In chap 5 now (listening). It's fabulous. Read or listen to it now. That's all I have to say.

JoeynGA on Twitter!

~Mark Twain

#20 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

I haven't been to this thread in ages (and sadly it looks like many people haven't) so I thought I'd pop in.

I'm currently reading The Siren, by Tiffany Reisz. I've had the ebook for quite some time, but I hate reading on the computer or my phone. Hubby bought me a Kindle Fire for Christmas though, so... hopefully my backlog of ebooks will be read soon!

Anyway, The Siren is BDSM erotica, but if you're thinking of a certain grey book, don't. Nothing like that. At all.

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users