#1 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

It was announced recently that Amazon will allow Kindle books to be shared, provided the publisher/rights holder agrees.

Amazon: 14-Day Lending Coming to Kindle “Later This Year”

Over the holidays I learned a simpler way for couples to share Kindle books. My nephew's wife has a Kindle and bought a Kindle for him for Christmas. The second Kindle came registered to her account, so any ebook purchased under that account can be accessed by either Kindle. (When I bought my wife a Kindle it came registered as "Rick's second Kindle." I immediately registered it to my wife's account. I am obviously not as smart as my nephew and his wife.)

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,336 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion on October 14, 2014.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Depending on the terms of any DRM involved, though, this official "lending" function would be the legal way to do so without violating copyright. I know in some cases, DRM allows a single user to load the same content on up to five devices (for example), but I'm not sure whether e-book DRM statements include any language like that. Also, to have it registered under my account if I weren't really the one using/reading the content would be ethically (if not legally) shady. Would it ever get prosecuted? Probably not. But I like to color inside the lines.

Again, the Nook had this capability pretty much from the beginning. :wink:
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#3 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

Again, the Nook had this capability pretty much from the beginning. :wink:

Yup. But with fewer real books to choose from and often higher prices.

#4 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,336 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion on October 14, 2014.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Yup. But with fewer real books to choose from and often higher prices.

What do you mean by "real"? And I still have my suspicions about the "Amazon has more e-books than B&N" claim. If it includes self-published, okay, Amazon DTP has been operating significantly longer than B&N's PubIt!, and not everyone is savvy enough to use Smashwords. But I've still never had a problem finding any given e-book at both sites, and when the prices aren't the same (which they usually have been for the books I look at), they're usually within less than a dollar of each other.
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#5 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

What do you mean by "real"? And I still have my suspicions about the "Amazon has more e-books than B&N" claim. If it includes self-published, okay, Amazon DTP has been operating significantly longer than B&N's PubIt!, and not everyone is savvy enough to use Smashwords. But I've still never had a problem finding any given e-book at both sites, and when the prices aren't the same (which they usually have been for the books I look at), they're usually within less than a dollar of each other.

B&N made claims about having a large catalog than Amazon but most were public domain books which were in fact available to Amazon readers as well. Whatever your suspicions may be I think it is pretty well documented that Amazon has more current titles that B&N which is still making its fairly meaningless claim of 1 million e-books.

And even if B&N e-books are only a dollar or so higher than Amazon's, they are still more expensive as are its paper books for that matter.

Not Yet the Season for a Nook

“Over one million titles?” Yes, but well over half of those are junky Google scans of free, obscure, pre-1923 out-of-copyright books, filled with typos. (They’re also available for the Kindle, but Amazon doesn’t even count them).

Fact is, Amazon’s e-book store is still much better. Of the current 175 New York Times best sellers, 12 of them aren’t available for Kindle; 21 are unavailable for the Nook.

Kindle books are less expensive, too. Inkmesh.com studied the top-selling 11,604 books for early November, and found that 74 percent of the time, Amazon offers the lowest-priced e-books (cheaper than B&N or Sony) by an average of 15 percent.

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,143 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

If you like new non-fiction, try Kobo's site. I know my hubby regularly finds the best prices there.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users