#1 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

I've answered questions related to this in the past, but now that we have a specific forum....

I'm an active EMT in New Jersey and have been involved in EMS since the mid-'80s. I am NOT a paramedic, and there's a significant difference. But I can answer questions about how EMS is rendered in suburban New Jersey and a lot of that would be applicable to other areas.

It's a volunteer position, which is how it's done in my area but not how it's done everywhere. For example, in NYC, all the EMTs and paramedics are paid members of the NYFD.

#2 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

I will probably need you in the future =). I have a series that I need to start editing and it features two guys: one's an EMT B, I, and eventually gets his paramedic. The other guy went through years of schooling to get EMT B, I, Paramedic, RN, flight nurse, and pilot =). I think I've got things down accurately (I used to work in a hospital) but am always glad to have someone to ask questions of when the time comes.

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...-urban-fantasy/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

FWIW, at least in NJ, the EMT-B has been phased out. I'm now officially an EMT once again after the curriculum changed to EMT-A, and then EMT-B (which included EMT-D, which basically was being able to defibrillate, which is now a basic EMT skill). There are other aspects in which the EMT curriculum is a back to the future kind of deal. EMT-I is different and not something I can get right now (more a matter of time and necessity than anything else). The others are careers; I'm a volunteer.

But I'm here if you need me.

#4 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Good to know about EMT-B. I haven't re-done my research in a few years, so I'll put that into my files. It's going to be a while, like I said, but I will holler when the time is right and I start having questions =).

Most girls are made of

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

:-)

#6 stephlynnsmith

stephlynnsmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Who would be authorized to administer drugs on the way to a hospital? An EMT or a Paramedic? I'm writing a tv pilot in which a girl survives a car accident but has a subdural hematoma, and one of the first responders is the one who caused the crash, so he injects her with a blood thinner to try to kill her before he's revealed.

#7 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

As an EMT in NJ, I'm able to administer or assist with (important distinction) the following: oxygen, an epi-pen, glucose paste, an inhaler, and nitro. With the inhalers and the nitro, I'm only assisting. The patient has to be able to do it herself; I can make sure she doesn't drop the nitro pill, for example, or I can steady her hand as she tries to use her inhaler. If you're talking drugs going intravenously, that's a paramedic.

In your example, that's got to be a paramedic. I know of no states that allow EMTs to administer blood thinners.

#8 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

As I'm revising one of my novels for a contest, I ran across a scene with EMTs...would you be willing to read it over?

As an EMT in NJ, I'm able to administer or assist with (important distinction) the following: oxygen, an epi-pen, glucose paste, an inhaler, and nitro. With the inhalers and the nitro, I'm only assisting. The patient has to be able to do it herself; I can make sure she doesn't drop the nitro pill, for example, or I can steady her hand as she tries to use her inhaler. If you're talking drugs going intravenously, that's a paramedic.

In your example, that's got to be a paramedic. I know of no states that allow EMTs to administer blood thinners.

As I'm revising one of my novels for a contest, I ran across a scene with EMTs...would you be willing to read it over?

Most girls are made of

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

aertja.jpg

#9 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

sure. you still have the email address?

#10 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Who would be authorized to administer drugs on the way to a hospital? An EMT or a Paramedic? I'm writing a tv pilot in which a girl survives a car accident but has a subdural hematoma, and one of the first responders is the one who caused the crash, so he injects her with a blood thinner to try to kill her before he's revealed.

In NJ, only a paramedic can administer drugs in that setting. That said, the way we do things in northern NJ, one medic rides in the back of the ambulance, where he/she treats the patient, and at least one EMT would be in the back also and might hold onto things at the medic's request. If a medic knows and trusts an EMT well enough, he or she might allow the EMT to make minor adjustments to the rate of flow on a saline drip, but that's unlikely to play a role in the situation you're conveying.

If your story has a very experienced EMT -- perhaps one who's in the midst of taking a paramedic course or even training to become an RN or doctor -- who chooses to administer a drug in an attempted murder, it would be very difficult for that to go unnoticed by the paramedic Ambulances are cramped spaces in the best of situations. It could be done, I suppose, but you'd have to have a very opportunistic EMT who takes advantage of a split-second opportunity.

#11 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

sure. you still have the email address?

Let me check...I should still have it =). If not, I'll PM you!

Most girls are made of

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

aertja.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users