My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Andrew:

I hope you aren't tired of these questions quite yet, because I have another, this one a little different.  For this question I need you to put on both your police officer hat and your writer hat.

My husband and I own several guns of our own, so I have some knowledge of the weapons I've chosen my female MC to carry. For your information, she is a federal agent, and rated as an excellent marksman, not that her ability would make any difference, I think. My question, or concern really, is I want to be sure the way I've worded the below paragraph sounds like it's coming from the POV of a professional, very familiar with guns, i.e. my female MC. I'm comfortable with the writing itself (although, this is a first draft) but not quite secure with the MC's description. I'm thinking that the way we civilians talk about guns is likely different from how a professional might speak.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for confirmation on this from another source, but it is my understanding the agents can request permission to carry their own personal weapons of choice, just in case you were wondering if I've checked into that.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Officer Maher, a middle-aged, barrel-chested man with thinning dark hair had been the one who’d frisked her and taken temporary possession of both the compact duty pistol she wore in a shoulder holster, and the 9 mm from her purse. Maher had looked at the CZ brand weapons with derision, apparently unaware that the Czechoslovakia police issue guns were not only well-known, they were reliable, lightweight, and comfortable. Her first gun–a birthday present from her brother Marc when she’d turned sixteen–had been a CZ 75B 1911 9mm, and she’d never owned any other make since. A large part of her prejudice had to do with the fact that she knew the CZ was Marc’s preferred weapon, and she’d always wanted to be just like him, which was how she’d ended up with the Bureau in the first place.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for your time, Andrew. Really appreciated!

#22 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hi Gina

Sorry for the delay, but have been away dealing with some real world issues. As far as the choice of weapons goes, I think they are a reasonable option. I'm not 100% sure what the firearms guidelines are for the bureau, but I do believe they are one of the agencies that will allow their agents to carry personal weapons. Double check on it. I know a lot of times it is dependent on ammunition calibers. 

As far as type of guns, I don't think you would go wrong ID'ing it as a CZ-75 P07. The nice thing is if you find out the bureau does have an ammo issue, this gun is available in both 9mm and .40 cal. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Officer Maher, a middle-aged, barrel-chested man with thinning dark hair had been the one who’d frisked her and taken temporary possession of both the compact duty pistol she wore in a shoulder holster, and the 9mm from her purse. Maher had looked at the CZ brand weapons with derision, apparently unaware that the Czechoslovakian police issue guns were not only well-known, but were also reliable, lightweight, and comfortable. Her first gun–a birthday present from her brother Marc when she’d turned sixteen–had been a CZ 75B 1911 9mm, and she’d never owned any other make since. A large part of her prejudice had to do with the fact that she knew the CZ was Marc’s preferred weapon, and she’d always wanted to be just like him, which was how she’d ended up with the Bureau in the first place.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Otherwise I think it is good.

Andrew

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#23 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks heaps, Andrew!!

#24 Cara_437

Cara_437

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your pist. I was wondering if you knew the charges someone would face for using a grenade and tear gas in a civillian setting (two separate incidences)I know you are the "guns" guy, but thought you might know.

Thanks,
Cara

#25 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Cara

Very tough question, but I will try and muddle through and help as best as I can. First, you obviously could have local charges, so these will vary by location. However, and it is a big however, you mentioned that the character used it. This means that in all likely hood they will charge the person at the federally level. Since the federal charges carry much more weight, the locals would in all doubt defer to the feds. It would most likely be a joint FBI / ATF investigation handled through whatever district the act occurred in.

The Mere possession of Grenades by civilians are illegal. They fall under the National Firearms Act of 1968. So the use of one would in all probability get the use charge with the federal crime of "Use of a Weapon of Mass Destruction" 18 USC s 2332a. The discharge of the tear gas would be tacked onto the federal case as well. Charges would be dependent on a wide variety of factors such as injury / death, property destruction, etc. There could be other charges filed as well by the US Attorney.

Hope this helps.

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

#26 Cara_437

Cara_437

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thank you so much!! I have in my book 2 counts of use of weapons of mass destruction, one for the grenade and one for the gas, now it feels more believable. Thanks again,

Cara

#27 Warrior

Warrior

Fight to the end, and even then, never give up.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Okay...another question...

Do you think a .45 could pierce a bullet proof vest?

"Fools say that they learn by experience. I prefer to learn by other people's experience." - Otto Von Bismarck

"There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If, therefore, we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage.” – John Witherspoon

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

#28 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

This is another one of those tricky questions and depends on what threat level vest you're wearing. The small arms vests are rated I, IIA, II, and IIIA. Threat level III and IV are rated for rifle. 

A IIA & above will theoretically protect from penetration of a .45, but everything is predicated upon certain loads. The .45 is a slow and heavy round, and so the vest will generally work well against them. You will however feel like a massive truck slammed into.

#29 Warrior

Warrior

Fight to the end, and even then, never give up.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thank you very much. :) It's great being able to ask an expert.

That actually works perfectly...

"Fools say that they learn by experience. I prefer to learn by other people's experience." - Otto Von Bismarck

"There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If, therefore, we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage.” – John Witherspoon

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

#30 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Glad I could help !!

#31 sir michael

sir michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

I haven't decided yet, but I've been pondering adding more action into a chapter of my finished manuscript as a small revision. In this chapter I've been trying to figure out good cover for the villain's as they're trying to shoot the main characters. This is taking place in a London park with a body of water similar to a large pond or a small lake. This event is taking place at night btw. Would benches or trees act as good cover or would they be flimsy and not smart to use? Also, would the main character jumping into mentioned body of water help avoid being shoot as well. The main character is using a Glock (in case you needed to know the type of gun for impact on the villain's cover).

#32 culmo80

culmo80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I had a few articles published in a nonfiction encyclopedia about WWII about 10 years ago.
    I'm looking to publish my completed manuscript now. I have a few short stories, one of which was selected for publication in an anthology, but... I think that project is falling apart for some reason.

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

Michael,

(Sorry, not trying to step on anyone's toes, just offering my two cents),

The size of the trees and the material used to construct the benches would come into play. 

A general rule of thumb is some cover and concealment is better than nothing at all. So I think regardless, they would be using those trees and benches as cover.

But since your character is using a Glock, yeah trees should work just fine. If the benches are flimsy, there's still a chance someone would be injured if he were hiding behind it, but again, some cover is better than no cover.

As for jumping in the lake, pistol rounds travel at a slower velocity than rifle rounds and the resistance would greatly slow the bullet down. Your character could still be hit by a bullet, given how close he is to the surface, how close your villain is, the angle of the shot, etc, but like I said above, it's cover. And it's at night. Diving in the water would be a smart move to avoid getting shot.

#33 sir michael

sir michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Thanks, I had very little confidence in the initial layout of the scene, but what you said has probably restored my confidence in the realism of the scene. Again, thanks.

#34 SquirrellyGirl

SquirrellyGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

It shouldn't. When she does leave the state, her guns are packed away, and she doesn't use them again until she's out of the country.

Hi, My husband's job is shipping gun parts (among other things) for a machine shop. Packing/shipping guns, even in pieces, requires very specific permits and paperwork and sometimes isn't allowed at all. They had salesmen trying to bring parts (not guns, just parts, and not even ALL the parts to assemble a weapon, just a few specific pieces) out of the country to meet with clients and they had to jump through hoops. They finally gave up trying to fly with them and had them shipped overnight to their hotel. Not all shippers will do this, either. They work with very specific ones. Depending on what's being shipped, even the truck drivers are sometimes required to have federal permits.

Because guns and gun rights are in the news so much right now, many people who don't have any personal reason to need to know about the laws still are aware of them. You've got your work cut out for you.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users