• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace: 60,000+ downloads to date
    Won Reddit /r/Fantasy Best of 2014 Stabby Award
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

I recently put my book The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree on this new epublishing startup Screwpulp. Although they're still working out the kinks, they seem to have some good ideas about what's wrong with the epublishing and indie paradigms -- namely, the problem of author exposure and visibility.

From the site:

• Mission Statement

Screwpulp is on a mission. The publishing giants are falling to the way side. For too long they have held the keys to the gate of distribution. Too many great books are only in your hands because of the tenacity of the authors who kept pushing and pushing, even in the face of tens, if not hundreds, of rejection letters. The glacial pace that the traditional publishing world moves is not beneficial to new authors or to readers. We believe we have a better way to move forward, a way that not only helps new authors, but a way that protects the readers as well.

Screwpulp has created a unique ecosystem for authors and readers. You can’t have one without the other. Both parties are necessary for a good book to become a great book. We need to provide a space for everyone with a voice to be heard, or rather read. We believe getting as many eyes as possible for every new author will help expedite the process of separating the mediocre from the great. We believe the best way to do this is to let the readers be heard, let the readers decide who they like and who they love. What an experience it would be to be the first to find the next Hemingway and share it with the world. We welcome you to Screwpulp, the ecosystem that allows authors and readers to flourish.

• About Screwpulp

Screwpulp has created a new ebook marketplace that gives authors a better way to reach an audience and earn more revenue. We are at the forefront of a publishing renaissance. Not since the screw press has there been so much change in the industry. Change in the way we write, change in the way we read, change in the way we acquire books; what hasn’t changed is the way that many publishers feel that they are the sole guardians at the gate. Thousands of great books are only in existence thanks to authors who had the courage to keep pushing, after tens, hundreds, of rejection letters. What good is writing the next great novel if nobody gets to read it? We created Screwpulp to get books into the hands of readers and let their voices be heard. Everybody has a voice, the author wants to be heard, and if the reader likes it they’ll want to tell their friends.
How Screwpulp works

At Screwpulp, we publish everybody. By giving away the initial copies of the book for free, in exchange for a mention on social media and a star rating, we quickly get your book into the hands of readers. This builds a fanbase for the author quickly and this exchange creates buzz around your work. As demand for the book goes up so does the price in one dollar increments. Now new readers have a rating system to show the quality of the work before anyone buys it. Authors keep all of the rights to their works and retain 75 percent of the profit. The only thing we ask of the author is to keep their book on Screwpulp for a minimum of ninety days. We are partnering with different organizations to help authors with cover design, editing and formatting. We will unveil more tools over time.

#2 K_Claremont

K_Claremont

Wanna-be Polymath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:MARONA novels:
    Vendetta
    The World Walker

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

I can't seem to find a place where they talk about a cut-off price.

Let's just assume we have a hypothetical scenario where an author sells 50,000 copies overnight.  (Just for the sake of math.)  At what point would Screwpulp say, "Okay, we can't price this book at a hundred dollars, because no one will buy a hundred-dollar book."  Or will lack of popularity (once the price is too high) start decreasing the price until a balance is found?  (As in, is this in part a sort of social/economic experiment?)

It's intriguing, but I want to see the math, because I like math. :)

WebsiteOeuvreShopFacebookGoodreadsWattpadTwitter

Vendetta-thumb-109x175_zps7wtsnnby.jpg WW-thumb-109x175_zpshhljkk8b.jpg Jasmine-thumb-112x175_zps463vx1bt.jpg

Vendetta (High Fantasy, Heist Elements)
The World Walker (Epic Fantasy/High Fantasy)
Jasmine of the Fireflies (Magical Realism, LGBTQIA+ Romance, Short Story)

#3 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

I think I read somewhere that it cuts off at like ten bucks. I'll see if I can't figure out where I saw that.

Edit: According to this article I just read, there's no "top price", but like the author of the article mentions, prices become self-defeating at a certain point. Honestly, I don't foresee any danger of an indie author selling 50,000 books overnight on SP (it took me a full day of hawking to hit 15) but I'm sure they'll address it between the beta and the final system. It never hurts to ask them about it, they usually respond to outreach on Twitter or Facebook.

#4 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Okay, so according to Screwpulp, when the site is rolling full steam, there will be more/better author tools at our disposal, including the ability to set our own max price cap.

http://t.co/2IZhRCIe6m

#5 K_Claremont

K_Claremont

Wanna-be Polymath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
    Vendetta
    The World Walker

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

That's a fantastic screencap.  It gives you a sense of what you're getting into.  Thanks for sharing that. :D  I think I will put the site on my list once my book is ready to go.

The only concern I do have is whether or not Amazon will catch the price and decide to price match.

Vendetta-thumb-109x175_zps7wtsnnby.jpg WW-thumb-109x175_zpshhljkk8b.jpg Jasmine-thumb-112x175_zps463vx1bt.jpg

#6 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

That's a fantastic screencap.  It gives you a sense of what you're getting into.  Thanks for sharing that. :D  I think I will put the site on my list once my book is ready to go.

The only concern I do have is whether or not Amazon will catch the price and decide to price match.

I had that concern myself, but so far, Amazon hasn't done anything. The book's been up for a week and the Amazon price is still the same. Do you know if their price-match is automated, or does someone go around and look for it?

#7 K_Claremont

K_Claremont

Wanna-be Polymath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
    Vendetta
    The World Walker

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

No clue.  I imagine it would take some computing power and bandwidth to send out bots to constantly query the web for updates to price match.  But I really don't know if that's a hindrance.  I do know that some people have contacted Amazon to adjust prices before, and saw results, but otherwise, I don't know how they would catch it on their end and if the process is automated or not.

#8 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

I saw it happen on my horror anthology on Amazon -- I made it free on Smashwords and Amazon cut it to $0.00.

#9 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

Great info.  Thanks for posting.  Indeed, there's going to be more and more sites attempting to gain a foot-hold in the e-publishing market.

One of the hardest parts of e-publishing will soon become knowing the merits and pitfalls of each site.

And the longer you stay out of the game, the harder and harder it will become for you to know where and how to jump in.

#10 dennism

dennism

The World's Foremost Expert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self published "Runaway!" in 2011, paperback and Kindle, about a runaway slave boy, aka my petite opus. Publishing pre-experience: Profane Fire at the Altar of the Lord, aka my magnum opus. Nearly complete: a comic raunchy crime noir novella set in south Louisiana, aka my opus ridiculum.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Curious about this website I am. Searched their offerings in "history" and Sam's book popped up. He describes the book as "weird western/fantasy." Next on the history list is a "Twilight" parody. Kinks they have.

Sam can really write. Interviewed was he at www.maleybook.com.

#11 lorena

lorena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:Does my experience as FFA Reporter count?

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

Since it has been a few months, I am curious if anyone has used Screwpulp yet, because I was thinking of implementing a similar concept.  I already have an existing internet marketing business that I would utilize ( in addition to what SP does) to promote as well.

Would you, as authors, be interested, have other suggestions, or think I should stick to marketing?  This industry is changing at stealth speed, and someone has to find the Golden Ticket where everyone wins!   

#12 lee debourg

lee debourg

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:CONCURRENT RELATIONSHIPS is on Amazon KDP. Second novel will be placed by Spring.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

Keep us informed as you proceed...This market is exploding and there has to be a savvy marketer to bring it all together. The future(and profit) is global. For example, how many people realize there are more English speakers in The Philippines than in the UK? And exactly what was that protocol vis E-books signed a month or two ago by the Chinese government? Get us in on the ground floor...
http://Lee DeBourg.w....com/leedebourg
CONCURRENT RELATIONSHIPS http://amzn.com/BOOFTZ7XBO
[url=http://twitter.com/leedebourg]http://twitter.com/leedebourg
Book Trailer http://wwwyoutu.be/EoMgt36m1nA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users