Veteran Hufflepuff Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some poetry

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

Inspired by this: http://agentquerycon...support-thread/, here's for everyone that is NOT querying and is in fact drafting or editing a novel.

Share how your characters are behaving (or misbehaving), how your novel is progressing, etc.

I'll start off:

I think I should start writing in the mornings. I do get 1k most nights, but I write after midnight and I'm getting too tired to keep doing that. I read an article where in the mornings, you have 'fresh' time to write and you don't have an 'end' time, so to speak. You don't tire out.

My characters are doing fine, everything's according to plan, but this is a very emotional novel (I expected that, but still). I love writing the emotional scenes. Those are awesome.

How about you guys?

Edited by SC_Author, 30 May 2013 - 04:12 PM.

SC_Author on Twitter

and SCWrite.blogspot.com for my blog :)

I am blogging about all things writing and JK Rowling. I also divulge secrets about the craft.

Because writers are insane. Being a writer is misery. And, as we all know, misery loves company :)

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hey, wait, do you have to be in the *preparing* for query trenches state? Because I'm still drafting and could use support. :tongue:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 Dayspring

Dayspring

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:I help edit and write for a couple of small magazines. I've finished 2 literary novels and one screenplay, and am halfway through a very high-concept historical novel. I have a few (dozen) other things on the back burner.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm on draft 5 : P  Been going on this WIP for at least 3-4 years, though not full time.

Most of the writing is there, but there are a couple of plot points I'm still not sure about. My characters are a mix of really developed and enjoyable to not quite 3D yet to intriguing but don't appear in the story enough.

I can't wait to get this draft over with and start querying. I think I've got a good hook and first pages, so I'm excited to see what kind of responses I get. I'll probably be less excited once I actually start getting them...!

#4 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Nearing the finish line on a complete draft of my WIP. I still have to research a few details but hope to have a solid first draft ready for revisions by the fall. Ha! Guess what I'm doing for summer vacation? Writing, writing, writing!

Jeanne

#5 LittleJoni

LittleJoni

Vertically Challenged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

I *just* finished the first draft of my current WIP last night (aka manuscript #3).  Woot!  Woot!

It topped out at 103,000 words...too long.  Plus I'm sure it's full of plots holes and other junk, but I'll clean that up later.  For now, I'm setting it aside and going back to revise manuscript #2. :)

Manuscript #1 is mostly polished, I'm preparing to take it into the query trenches soon... :O

Newest Query:

TIME GUARDIAN

Older Queries:

THE BELIEVER

THE MYSTIC ROAD

#6 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None so to speak of.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Finished the first draft of my WIP on my birthday and am starting to prepare for the long road ahead. Wondering how many edits it'll take me to get it done. Last MS I have 9 edits and 1 rewrite/replot and I still decided to scrap it. I'm preparing to using the summer to my advantage, editing then.

Current Project: Half-Breeds and Other Liabilities
Query: http://agentquerycon...ities-ya-urban-
Take a look!

#7 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hey, wait, do you have to be in the *preparing* for query trenches state? Because I'm still drafting and could use support. :tongue:

Got it! Changed the form to accommodate this :) Thanks!

SC_Author on Twitter

I am blogging about all things writing and JK Rowling. I also divulge secrets about the craft.

Because writers are insane. Being a writer is misery. And, as we all know, misery loves company :)

#8 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'm on draft 5 : P  Been going on this WIP for at least 3-4 years, though not full time.

Most of the writing is there, but there are a couple of plot points I'm still not sure about. My characters are a mix of really developed and enjoyable to not quite 3D yet to intriguing but don't appear in the story enough.

I can't wait to get this draft over with and start querying. I think I've got a good hook and first pages, so I'm excited to see what kind of responses I get. I'll probably be less excited once I actually start getting them...!

I know. I'm burning to start querying and going onto the journey. But I bet I'll dislike it when I get there (again).

Nearing the finish line on a complete draft of my WIP. I still have to research a few details but hope to have a solid first draft ready for revisions by the fall. Ha! Guess what I'm doing for summer vacation? Writing, writing, writing!

Jeanne

THAT'S MY PLAN TOO! I need to get my WIP finished.

I *just* finished the first draft of my current WIP last night (aka manuscript #3).  Woot!  Woot!

It topped out at 103,000 words...too long.  Plus I'm sure it's full of plots holes and other junk, but I'll clean that up later.  For now, I'm setting it aside and going back to revise manuscript #2. :)

Manuscript #1 is mostly polished, I'm preparing to take it into the query trenches soon... :O

Ohh, congrats! I love the feeling of finishing a WIP. It feels incredible. But then....editing.

Finished the first draft of my WIP on my birthday and am starting to prepare for the long road ahead. Wondering how many edits it'll take me to get it done. Last MS I have 9 edits and 1 rewrite/replot and I still decided to scrap it. I'm preparing to using the summer to my advantage, editing then.

My last MS I had a bunch of reworking as well, and I'm scrapping that too. A fresh start helps. Really, it does.

SC_Author on Twitter

#9 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

My last MS I had a bunch of reworking as well, and I'm scrapping that too. A fresh start helps. Really, it does.

Yeah, I've definitely become a better writer since then. So far is my game plan is to have 2 run-through edits where I focus on plot/characters/worldbuilding/backstory/etc. and then have some Beta readers I know help me with wording/grammar/whatever else is glaringly wrong with the MS. Then edit it according to that. After that's done I'll find a few people who'll be willing to give it a read-through and tell me their thoughts on if it's ready. Then I'll read through it. If it seems time, I'll query.

It'll probably take around 2-3 months. 

I'm glad that my query is mostly complete though.

Take a look!

#10 LittleJoni

LittleJoni

Vertically Challenged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Ohh, congrats! I love the feeling of finishing a WIP. It feels incredible. But then....editing.

Thanks!  But yes...I have to brace myself for the editing phase.  I think it's harder, more tedious, and it takes forever.  This is where real stamina is needed.  For now I'm just riding the "I finished the first draft!!" high.  Reality will set in soon, LOL! ;)

Newest Query:

TIME GUARDIAN

Older Queries:

THE BELIEVER

THE MYSTIC ROAD

#11 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thanks!  But yes...I have to brace myself for the editing phase.  I think it's harder, more tedious, and it takes forever.  This is where real stamina is needed.  For now I'm just riding the "I finished the first draft!!" high.  Reality will set in soon, LOL! ;)

Editing IS crazy. It's painful too, almost. But still, that feeling of actually finishing a book and calling yourself a novelist...*AWESOME*

Yeah, I've definitely become a better writer since then. So far is my game plan is to have 2 run-through edits where I focus on plot/characters/worldbuilding/backstory/etc. and then have some Beta readers I know help me with wording/grammar/whatever else is glaringly wrong with the MS. Then edit it according to that. After that's done I'll find a few people who'll be willing to give it a read-through and tell me their thoughts on if it's ready. Then I'll read through it. If it seems time, I'll query.

It'll probably take around 2-3 months. 

I'm glad that my query is mostly complete though.

Did you write your query before the book? I'm kind of trying that with mine right now and I like it.

SC_Author on Twitter

#12 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Editing IS crazy. It's painful too, almost. But still, that feeling of actually finishing a book and calling yourself a novelist...*AWESOME*

Did you write your query before the book? I'm kind of trying that with mine right now and I like it.

I wrote it after. I had to tweak it to work so I'm making the ms match now. Originally Mihael didn't know why he was being sacrificed, in the new drafts, he does. His goal now is to either survive until 18 or stop Wrath.
Take a look!

#13 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm querying my first book, but in intense writing on my second, still only barely a WIP. 

This book is going to kill me. My first book was inspired by something in my life---but I made my MC male, the character based kindish on me was a side character who got to be all wise and stuff.  This book--the MC is experiencing an intensity turned to 11 version of the last couple years of my life.  I have a few local betas, close friends and writers who did the MFA with me and know the whole story. They know who's who in the story, too.  One of the most surprisingly pleasing piece of praise I ever got was, "oh and D--? You totally nailed him."  

I'm in summer schedule right now which means I have WAY more free time than I did a couple weeks ago so I'm pumping out some words, getting to the real fictional meat of this thing.  The problem is the more I write the BIGGER the unwritten portion feels in my head.  The more I feel the need to include.  This is probably gonna be one of those 100Kers.  And most of what will end up on the cutting room floor is the stuff that is really me, the real-life inspired stuff. And that's making me a bit sad. Cause that wasn't easy to get out. Oh well.

Writing, writing writing.

DRAFT BY AUGUST. This is the goal I WILL meet, for once.

#14 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'm querying my first book, but in intense writing on my second, still only barely a WIP. 

This book is going to kill me. My first book was inspired by something in my life---but I made my MC male, the character based kindish on me was a side character who got to be all wise and stuff.  This book--the MC is experiencing an intensity turned to 11 version of the last couple years of my life.  I have a few local betas, close friends and writers who did the MFA with me and know the whole story. They know who's who in the story, too.  One of the most surprisingly pleasing piece of praise I ever got was, "oh and D--? You totally nailed him."  

I'm in summer schedule right now which means I have WAY more free time than I did a couple weeks ago so I'm pumping out some words, getting to the real fictional meat of this thing.  The problem is the more I write the BIGGER the unwritten portion feels in my head.  The more I feel the need to include.  This is probably gonna be one of those 100Kers.  And most of what will end up on the cutting room floor is the stuff that is really me, the real-life inspired stuff. And that's making me a bit sad. Cause that wasn't easy to get out. Oh well.

Writing, writing writing.

DRAFT BY AUGUST. This is the goal I WILL meet, for once.

Good luck!

Take a look!

#15 Christina B.

Christina B.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None...yet.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

I am in the dreaded middle of my #4 MS. I have been working with these characters and plot for the last 4 years but after three different full MS I still didn't feel like it was where it needed to be. Towards the last quarter of the year last year, while working here to finalize my query letter I hooked up with a great CP. Through my work with her and all the amazing things I learned during WriteOnCon, I decided to trash #3 MS and start from scratch. I took all my notes plugged them into the snowflake pro software, changed the pov and tense to really turn my strong mc loose, and created an outline that made every scene, every moment count.

The result has been amazing and I think when I'm finished I will finally have something I'll believe in. For some reason this middle point always seems to get me. So my daily mantra - butt in the chair, fingers on the keyboard. 

I have blown through my first self-declared deadline so now I'm hoping for mid July.  :laugh:

Follow me on Twitter

Find me on Goodreads

Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as being able to remake ourselves.

- Gandhi

Half my life is an act of revision.

- John Irving

#16 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

I am in the dreaded middle of my #4 MS. I have been working with these characters and plot for the last 4 years but after three different full MS I still didn't feel like it was where it needed to be. Towards the last quarter of the year last year, while working here to finalize my query letter I hooked up with a great CP. Through my work with her and all the amazing things I learned during WriteOnCon, I decided to trash #3 MS and start from scratch. I took all my notes plugged them into the snowflake pro software, changed the pov and tense to really turn my strong mc loose, and created an outline that made every scene, every moment count.

The result has been amazing and I think when I'm finished I will finally have something I'll believe in. For some reason this middle point always seems to get me. So my daily mantra - butt in the chair, fingers on the keyboard. 

I have blown through my first self-declared deadline so now I'm hoping for mid July.  :laugh:

Deadlines always seem to do that :) That sounds awesome, though!! I hope I can get fingers to the keyboard this summer.

SC_Author on Twitter

#17 Christina B.

Christina B.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None...yet.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Deadlines always seem to do that :) That sounds awesome, though!! I hope I can get fingers to the keyboard this summer.

Thanks!! I hope you can too! BTW - I am also a huge JK Rowling, Harry Potter fan. Last weekend my family and I braved the horrible heat and visited the attraction at Universal here in Florida. It was awesome!

Follow me on Twitter

Find me on Goodreads

Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as being able to remake ourselves.

- Gandhi

Half my life is an act of revision.

- John Irving

#18 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

IT IS SO AWESOME. Did you know they're doing renovations? They're chopping off the Lost Island and extending Harry Potter to Gringotts and Diagon Alley! I KNOW!!

SC_Author on Twitter

#19 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Can I join in? I am editing/revising at the moment, have a release date for book #2 which is going to come around way to soon and my editor is sitting with her hand out, waiting for the final MS.

I'm currently stuck on my hell chapter, which is one around the middle mark where I decided the story was too hard, too complicated and I didn't want to do this anymore! Plus I think I pushed someone off an airship and I have yet to find where they landed... lol

#20 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

Can I join in? I am editing/revising at the moment, have a release date for book #2 which is going to come around way to soon and my editor is sitting with her hand out, waiting for the final MS.

I'm currently stuck on my hell chapter, which is one around the middle mark where I decided the story was too hard, too complicated and I didn't want to do this anymore! Plus I think I pushed someone off an airship and I have yet to find where they landed... lol

Haha, that's funny :) Are you editing/revising the deadline-d MS, or another one?

And I'm scared to hit my hell chapter this time around. It hasn't happened yet, but I fear it might soon.

SC_Author on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users