Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None...yet.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

I ran into a block a couple days ago. For me, this usually means there is something off, something not fully developed or forgotten. After going through all my notes and outline, I decided to draft the query. That maddening letter tends to shine a glaring light on any issues within my novel. Turns out I still have a few plotting issues. Awesome. So, on the agenda today - back to plot mapping and the timeline. Ugh! I don't know why I always get lost in the subplots and forget to really build the overall.

Follow me on Twitter

Find me on Goodreads

Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as being able to remake ourselves.

- Gandhi

Half my life is an act of revision.

- John Irving

#42 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Finally got a workable outline/plotting structure for my next YA Fantasy. I was banging my head against it before I realized that I hadn't yet established the core of the story -- the real underlying concept, theme, or what-have-you that would make me actually CARE about writing it. Because I have to care, I have to have something to SAY, or I just write cr@p.

#43 SC_Author

SC_Author

Veteran Hufflepuff Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Some poetry

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Gotta rewrite 2-3 chapters for HALF-BREEDS AND OTHER LIABILITIES. Made the characterization go waaaay to fast. Got a better idea for how it should go now. 

I have a friend who keeps telling me to stop editing and wait for a while because I'm too close. But...I can't. I need to edit to get it to my Beta. I'm so anxious to start querying.

Probably not a good thing. But I have an issue where I can't focus on more than one thing--even with a finished product. Sucks. >.>

So, rewrite chapters or do another novel...I don't know.

I think I might have a problem with going too fast. 

Using the feedback I received in Query Kombat, I rewrote the beginning of my first manuscript, THE BELIEVER, and managed to cut out 2,000 words, 10 pages, and 6 chapters!  I hope I've done the right thing... *chews fingernails*

(Yes, some of my chapters were super short)

WOO!! I'm so happy QK helped you! :DD

Hi, guys! My name is Mia and I'm starting to plan out a novel now :) It's a MG fantasy (haven't written an MG in 5eva) and I'm pretty excited for it. It's different from what I usually write in that it's very girly, but I hope some of my scruffiness and tomboyness still comes through. Heh. I set a deadline for this MS: the end of this month. It's probably near impossible, but I'M GOING TO TRY. Maybe, like, 5k a day. I dunno. It's probably not going to happen, but still. That's how desperately I want to finish an MS and go into editing and querying mode  :tongue:

Anyways, it's nice to meet you all!!!

5k?! That's crazy! Good luck. I'd LOVE to get my MS done this month but...I don't know.

I ran into a block a couple days ago. For me, this usually means there is something off, something not fully developed or forgotten. After going through all my notes and outline, I decided to draft the query. That maddening letter tends to shine a glaring light on any issues within my novel. Turns out I still have a few plotting issues. Awesome. So, on the agenda today - back to plot mapping and the timeline. Ugh! I don't know why I always get lost in the subplots and forget to really build the overall.

Good luck. Rearranging the plot is so frustrating and nit-picky.

Finally got a workable outline/plotting structure for my next YA Fantasy. I was banging my head against it before I realized that I hadn't yet established the core of the story -- the real underlying concept, theme, or what-have-you that would make me actually CARE about writing it. Because I have to care, I have to have something to SAY, or I just write cr@p.

THAT IS SO TRUE for me. Usually, I GET  a story idea out of the theme I want to convey, or what message I want to shout to the world.

I am starting to think, for my own MS, that it might be too short :( 50k at least, HOPEFULLY 60k. But I don't know :( And it's an Adult Contemporary w/ literary bend.

SC_Author on Twitter

and SCWrite.blogspot.com for my blog :)

I am blogging about all things writing and JK Rowling. I also divulge secrets about the craft.

Because writers are insane. Being a writer is misery. And, as we all know, misery loves company :)

#44 Christina B.

Christina B.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

Well said, Lucid!! That is exactly what I keep bumping up against! Glad to here I'm not the only one who can somehow manage to overlook or under-develop the central theme (or whatever the right term is).

Follow me on Twitter

Find me on Goodreads

Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as being able to remake ourselves.

- Gandhi

- John Irving

#45 Christina B.

Christina B.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks, I AM! It's a blast.

Follow me on Twitter

Find me on Goodreads

- Gandhi

- John Irving

#46 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

Yay! That makes me feel awesome! :D

SC_Author on Twitter

I am blogging about all things writing and JK Rowling. I also divulge secrets about the craft.

Because writers are insane. Being a writer is misery. And, as we all know, misery loves company :)

#47 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

I hate when a whole chapter plays in my head like movie while I'm driving, and I get to the computer and it's JUST GONE.  I tried once to keep a tape recorder but just felt silly.

#48 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Haha, awww....I hope it comes back :( I had an AMAZING night of writing last night (I know, sorry, I'm making you feel worse). I got up at around 2:30 after a 1,000 word session and wrote even more: a scene far in the book and I almost lost it over that scene. Never happened to me before.

SC_Author on Twitter

#49 Michael Steven

Michael Steven

Venture far from the Beaten Path

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not Published ... yet!

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

I've had a scene play over and over again in my head, but when I go to write it, it just comes out flat.  I can't find the right words to convey the descriptions and emotions, or the characters simply won't behave the way I want.

No, no, NO, Alice!  I said you have to enter the bedroom, scream and flee.

Alice: But I don't want to run.  I want to see what's happening.

Just do what I tell you.

Alice entered the room, skidded to a halt, and gaped at the corpse.  She scanned the shadows--

Criminy, Alice.  I want you to run out screaming.

Alice: "Not happening, now shut up.  I got this."

Let there be light on this planet ... And let it shine through me
Let there be travellers who venture ... Far from the beaten path
And let one of them be me - Jefferson Starship - Champion (unused lyrics)

#50 Madseasongirl

Madseasongirl

Nervous Not so Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Does a scientific journal count? Didn't think so :/

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Thought I'd add my 34 cents! I'm over 50k into my WIP and I'm not even at the halfway point. When I'm done, there's gonna be guts everywhere- I was striving for the 75k sweet spot. For the life of me, I cannot write an outline. I tried once and just like Alice, my characters did whatever the hell they wanted, totally disregarding all my hard work of outlining and totally making my scenes so much longer than they needed to be. And then of course when I'm done, I think everything is vital and I'm at 120k and sobbing. Ah well.

Oh, and HP rules. Or should I say, the Weasleys rule. :biggrin:

New on Twitter. Follow me!

Blog- Live the Write Way

Here's my query- The Oath Taker

#51 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None so to speak of.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Finished first edits! Now onto the CPs for further review! /crosses fingers

Current Project: Half-Breeds and Other Liabilities
Query: http://agentquerycon...ities-ya-urban-
Take a look!

#52 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

I've had a scene play over and over again in my head, but when I go to write it, it just comes out flat.  I can't find the right words to convey the descriptions and emotions, or the characters simply won't behave the way I want.

No, no, NO, Alice!  I said you have to enter the bedroom, scream and flee.

Alice: But I don't want to run.  I want to see what's happening.

Just do what I tell you.

Alice entered the room, skidded to a halt, and gaped at the corpse.  She scanned the shadows--

Criminy, Alice.  I want you to run out screaming.

Alice: "Not happening, now shut up.  I got this."

Hehehe, listen to Alice! Maybe she'll find something in the shadows.

Thought I'd add my 34 cents! I'm over 50k into my WIP and I'm not even at the halfway point. When I'm done, there's gonna be guts everywhere- I was striving for the 75k sweet spot. For the life of me, I cannot write an outline. I tried once and just like Alice, my characters did whatever the hell they wanted, totally disregarding all my hard work of outlining and totally making my scenes so much longer than they needed to be. And then of course when I'm done, I think everything is vital and I'm at 120k and sobbing. Ah well.

Oh, and HP rules. Or should I say, the Weasleys rule. :biggrin:

YES HP RULES!!!! And I'm having the opposite problem. I hope to hit 60k, but I might run way too short D:

Finished first edits! Now onto the CPs for further review! /crosses fingers

LUCKY! I'd love to get to that stage :( I'm still drafting 

SC_Author on Twitter

#53 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

LUCKY! I'd love to get to that stage :( I'm still drafting 

Aw. You'll get there soon! I'm excited to see what they have to say.

I'm still waiting on a response from Mandy Schoen of Month9Books/SwoonRomance too! I think she's on vacation now though, so I'm not expecting anything soon. Editors need their breaks too. (On the same note: I saw an agent on Twitter tweet about how she was leaving a conference with some other agents and got pitched at on a subway. Man, I feel bad for them. You must get harassed a lot being an agent--if people find out, anyways. I wouldn't want people pitching their novels at me 24/7. I'd snap. >.>)

I really like the MS I have and I hope to query it by the end of summer.

As well as I'm helping Beta read my CP's novel (for pacing) and writing a new WIP which is sorta light sci-fi but more romance-ish. Sorta like paranormal romance but with sci-fi. And it's still a little different than most PA I've seen.

How is your draft going?

Take a look!

#54 SC_Author

SC_Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

OOh, that's cool. I don't know what I would do if I randomly met an agent. I'd be all like "Urp."

That's really cool though. My drafting is going great, I'm getting about 1.5k a day so I hope to get a lot done. I want to have it queryable by the end of the summer :)

SC_Author on Twitter

#55 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

OOh, that's cool. I don't know what I would do if I randomly met an agent. I'd be all like "Urp."

That's really cool though. My drafting is going great, I'm getting about 1.5k a day so I hope to get a lot done. I want to have it queryable by the end of the summer :)

I'd be all "So...how about the weather...?" xD

That's good that your drafting is going great! 1.5k a day is amazing! Queryable by the end of the summer if my goal too. Hopefully we can be query buddies by then! :)

Take a look!

#56 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Did everyone read Charlee's post on how agents are people, too? She speaks with some authority. :wink:

Meanwhile, my WIP is trucking along, about to break 40k today. My goal is to have it drafted well before July 31st so I can maintain my 2 mss/year average. :smile:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#57 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

May be changing direction for my WIP (well, a YA WIP, I'm still chugging along on the third book in the adult scifi trilogy).  I had a great meeting with the head of my pub. co. Monday and she was very helpful about when I should work on the CROWN companion book and what I might want to do now instead.  (Or what she'd like me to do, LOL).  I don't mind -- I've got the CROWN companion book plotted, so I can come back to that whenever, and I would like to do something different right now.

#58 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Did everyone read Charlee's post on how agents are people, too? She speaks with some authority. :wink:

Meanwhile, my WIP is trucking along, about to break 40k today. My goal is to have it drafted well before July 31st so I can maintain my 2 mss/year average. :smile:

I've read it, yes! I think she brings up a lot of good points and I agree with her 100%.

Glad you're trucking along with your WIP! (I've never heard that phrase before. Huh.)

Take a look!

#59 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Glad you're trucking along with your WIP! (I've never heard that phrase before. Huh.)

*slaps some education into the youth of today*

:wink:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#60 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

*slaps some education into the youth of today*

:wink:

Gah! It's not my fault you old people have weird phrases.

(Yeah, I just went there.)  :wink:

Take a look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users