#1 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None so to speak of.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I got a twitter because I hear it's recommended and you can do things like Pitmad and whatnot. I'm following some agents and AQCers...but I'm a little unsure of what I'm supposed to do there.

How do I interact with other people without being seen as a nuisance? I don't want to accidentally say something stupid that'll get me blacklisted or something.

How do you get followers? How do hashtags work? How does everything work?

I would really like to be able to do this Twitter thing but...right now I'm more confused than anything.

What does a writer do on Twitter?

Can anyone help me?

Current Project: Half-Breeds and Other Liabilities
Query: http://agentquerycon...ities-ya-urban-
Take a look!

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

You're off to a good start with following some agents. Honestly, that's all I did at first, building the list of industry pros and just "eavesdropping" on what they said. Found a lot of good articles/blog posts that way, got other good advice.

As far as followers, start off by following some of us AQCers. If we recognize you, we're likely to follow back. (If we don't recognize you, tweet us with our handle and say, "Hey, it's me, Kodi from AQC. 'Sup?")

Don't try to take on everything at once. Just start interacting with some people (and we AQCers are probably easiest to start with since you know us). You'll get comfortable and figure things out as you go, especially stuff like hashtags.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

You're off to a good start with following some agents. Honestly, that's all I did at first, building the list of industry pros and just "eavesdropping" on what they said. Found a lot of good articles/blog posts that way, got other good advice.

As far as followers, start off by following some of us AQCers. If we recognize you, we're likely to follow back. (If we don't recognize you, tweet us with our handle and say, "Hey, it's me, Kodi from AQC. 'Sup?")

Don't try to take on everything at once. Just start interacting with some people (and we AQCers are probably easiest to start with since you know us). You'll get comfortable and figure things out as you go, especially stuff like hashtags.

Thank you!

Take a look!

#4 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

RC gives some great advice. It can be so overwhelming at first. I didn't go on my account for close to six months after I first made it. It scared the hell outta me.

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#5 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

In the other thread, you asked about how to find other writers to follow. One way I started meeting people was the "friend of a friend" scenario. Like, I follow MarcyKate, and I notice her tweet something amusing to two other people—one I also follow, the other I don't. I jump into the conversation, the person I don't know engages with me, and since they seem cool, I start following them.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#6 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

RC gives some great advice. It can be so overwhelming at first. I didn't go on my account for close to six months after I first made it. It scared the hell outta me.

I understand that! I'm super shy when it comes to these things. Seeing agents and publishers and authors, oh my!

Take a look!

#7 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Kodi, it isn't that hard.  I have managed, and I knew ZIP when I started last fall.

Check out the AQC'ers on twitter first -- there's a lot of us!  Pretty soon you'll be adding followers and chatting away.

#8 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

We even have our own hashtag! #AQCon

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#9 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Think of twitter as a big cocktail party - everyone hanging out, shooting the breeze. So you kind of wander about, looking for interesting conversations to join, interesting people to meet. Sometimes it's "friend of a friend" like RC said. Sometimes it's a random stranger with a common interest that you bump into at the appetizer table when you both reach for the stuffed mushroom caps. Sometimes it's a random stranger who compliments you on your shoes (or vice versa).

I'm a huge introvert and pretty shy, actually but Twitter has been great for me because it's so easy to start a conversation, just respond to the things people say or join a conversation or join a twitter chat. There's a million ways to do it.

As a writer, you also should be working on connecting with FANS/READERS, not just other writers and industry professionals (though those are very important, too). Twitter is great for connecting with book bloggers, learning about the reader side of the biz (how NOT to promo a book, how NOT to respond to negative reviews, how TO run a successful giveaway, etc.), and learning great blogging tips (how to keep your blog interesting), finding things you can join to drive traffic to your website (like blog hops and such), etc. I've also used twitter to ask questions/get advice and to get referrals for help (most notably I asked for help finding a joomla saavy website developer and got connected to someone).

Hope this helps!

--Terri

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#10 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Great advice so far. I'd add that using Tweetdeck helps me keep it from feeling too chaoic. Tweetdeck is a free app that you download and it puts whatever you want in lists that way. I think it automatically makes lists for 1-everyone you follow, 2- tweets directed at you specifically with @yourname, 3- direct messages (private messages only you and the sender see). I make lists when I follow someone then I can use those lists for extra columns. I have all the AQers on one list, romance authors on another, publishing folks on another... Then you can add additional columns to your Tweetdeck whenever you like for these lists. It looks odd at first, but soon it makes sense.

Another hint - don't try to read everything! One of the huge benefits of twitter is that you can just pop in and out when you feel like it - and it's okay.

If you want more followers, you can always 'poach' from someone you follow - click on their twitter profile link (their @name) and their profile pops up. Click on their following link and you see new people. From their you can check out their profiles and see who seems interesting for you. Hope that helps a bit!

#11 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Thank you, guys!

Take a look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users