• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Since someone asks at least once a week, I figured I should state it here and pin it to the top of this forum.

If you are querying fiction:

- You DO NOT need a bio.

- You SHOULD include publishing credits and relevant degrees.

- You SHOULD include writing awards IF it's a large enough competition for an agent to care.

- You CAN include particular expertise relevant to your novel (i.e., a nurse writing a medical thriller).

- If an agent INSISTS on a bio and you have none of the above, give ONE interesting sentence about yourself.

If you are querying non-fiction:

- You DO need a bio.

- You MUST include qualifications—why are you the guy/gal to write this book? What makes you an authority?

- You MUST have a platform—blog following with significant numbers, speaking engagements, etc.

- If you're querying a memoir, go back up to the "fiction" section. Memoirs follow the fiction procedure most of the time, and let's face it—your whole query is your bio.

I hope that covers most of the basic questions. If there are stranger situations that need addressing, post below. Let's keep it all in one place for posterity. :wink:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#2 Warrior

Warrior

Fight to the end, and even then, never give up.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for putting this. Now I don't have to second guess myself when I don't include a bio. :)

"Fools say that they learn by experience. I prefer to learn by other people's experience." - Otto Von Bismarck

"There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If, therefore, we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage.” – John Witherspoon

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

#3 Phil Peterson

Phil Peterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for this. I've been struggling with this. Some agents I'm looking into do require a bio, and I have nothing to say. Even the "one interesting sentence" has me stuck? What would I say that wouldn't just seem unusual and irrelevant?

Phil has insomnia and an unrelated coffee-addiction.

Phil has a lovely singing voice, but paralyzing stage fright.

Though he lives in the ghetto, Phil is rich with self-love.

:blink:

#4 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

When the bio was required, I just put where I studied and what I did for a living. Doesn't have to be big.

#5 LittleJoni

LittleJoni

Vertically Challenged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

When the bio was required, I just put where I studied and what I did for a living. Doesn't have to be big.

What if you have a Bachelor's degree, but is has nothing to do with literature or writing in any way, nor does it have anything to do with subject you are writing about.  Should you include it anyway if a bio is required?

Newest Query:

TIME GUARDIAN

Older Queries:

THE BELIEVER

THE MYSTIC ROAD

#6 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

What if you have a Bachelor's degree, but is has nothing to do with literature or writing in any way, nor does it have anything to do with subject you are writing about.  Should you include it anyway if a bio is required?

If the bio is required, I think I would more say "I got my BA at (school) and I currently work as (occupation)." I'm not even sure you'd have to designate your area of study unless it was relevant to the book. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

#7 LittleJoni

LittleJoni

Vertically Challenged

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for your reply, it does help. :)

Newest Query:

TIME GUARDIAN

Older Queries:

THE BELIEVER

THE MYSTIC ROAD

#8 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

I never included my degrees or professional qualifications (I'm a forensic accountant and Certified Fraud Examiner by trade) because they're not relevant to my writing career.

#9 Kodi R.

Kodi R.

Floating in the galaxy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None so to speak of.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thanks, RC. Very helpful!

Guess I just won't have a bio!

Current Project: Half-Breeds and Other Liabilities
Query: http://agentquerycon...ities-ya-urban-
Take a look!

#10 Raven Forrester

Raven Forrester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

This one sentence author bio has had me more apprehensive than any other part of the query. I have no real publishing credentials, but I do run a blog (albeit a small one). Would it be too much of a stretch to say something such as: "______ is a blogger and a member of several critique groups. She is currently unpublished." Or does that just sound too desperate? Help appreciated!

#11 joshhider

joshhider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:THEIR TOWN is coming out Nov 17th 2017. Short stories in 100 Voices vol.2, and Beasts Remastered. Self- published a musical biography A BETTER ROAD: The musical life of Larry Crane.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thank you! I have no credentials, and never know what to put that wont make me sound like an idiot. Now I can leave that out completely. I have read some agents that want a bio, but I have just been leaving it off knowing that I don't have one.  I hope that's not hurting me.

Josh Mason

jhider.wordpress.com

#12 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

This one sentence author bio has had me more apprehensive than any other part of the query. I have no real publishing credentials, but I do run a blog (albeit a small one). Would it be too much of a stretch to say something such as: "______ is a blogger and a member of several critique groups. She is currently unpublished." Or does that just sound too desperate? Help appreciated!

Don't say you're currently unpublished. I'd just say "I am a blogger at (blog name) and live in (where you live)." and that's it. You don't need to mention critique groups or draw attention to your unpublished status. If you don't mention publishing stats, the agent will assume you are unpublished.

#13 Raven Forrester

Raven Forrester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Okay, thank you!

#14 atw

atw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:08 AM

If the bio is required, I think I would more say "I got my BA at (school) and I currently work as (occupation)." I'm not even sure you'd have to designate your area of study unless it was relevant to the book. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I think if your area of study is relevant to the book, it could be included. I'd assume that falls under particular areas of expertise?

#15 Blitzing

Blitzing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:'Melt' in anthology 'Winter's Sweet Kiss' by e-pub

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

If an agent specifically mentions publishing credits in his/her submission guidelines, should you include a credit by a small press? (not vanity) 

~ Shaya Roy ~

www.shayaroy.com

Current query (contemporary romance)  

#16 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yes, I would mention publication by a small press. It shows your professionalism.

Jeanne

#17 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

This thread is so helpful, thank you.

I actually have a heavy bio: lots of small press and online magazines, as well as notable performances like LA Pride. I have had different query critique people tell me different things about keeping the bio or trimming it. Some think it's impressive and good. Some think it's TMI and I should cut it

As I am writing a memoir your post reassured me that I should follow my original instinct to keep it, as bio is so important in memoir. Thanks!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users