#1 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Having an ego as huge as all of outdoors, I like to Google my books now and then. Tonight, I found an offer to download The Kewpie Killer at http://katiebipbpal....ie-killer-book/

I've never selected this site as one of my distribution channels.

At the bottom of the web page, I found a contact address for reporting copyright violations. I filled out a report and sent it on. It will interesting to see what happens next.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#2 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Good luck. 

#3 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace: 60,000+ downloads to date
    Won Reddit /r/Fantasy Best of 2014 Stabby Award
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:26 AM

It might behoove you to set up a Google Alert with your pseudonym and the names of your books. Whenever a Google webcrawler stumbles across even a mention of either one, it will email you about it.

#4 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Welcome to the world of pirating. Sigh.  A google alert is a good idea but mine certainly doesn't catch everything. When I find a pirated dowload available I report it to my publisher who has "people for that" and my sense is they find many more instances than I do.  Grrrrr.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#5 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

I'm pleased to report that this morning when I checked that link, The Kewpie Killer was no longer there available for download.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#6 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Sadly, other than serving them with a cease and desist letter, there is not a whole heckuva lot you can do. Unless you have an attorney on retainer to handle stuff like that. But lawsuits of this nature rarely return a big enough financial settlement to offset the costs of bringing the suit. 

This is certainly an interesting topic though. 

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#7 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Chat with Jean and Cali. They've both had experience.

#8 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

It appears someone using the name Katie Bipbpal created a site that offered many different books. You can see a list of some at Google.

The hosting web site inube.com states they do business in Turkey. I'm not familiar with Turkish law so I didn't have high hopes for their cooperation. They allow "members" to create blogs and web sites for whatever purpose that fits within their guidelines. Their rules forbid copyright infringement so I decided to contact them.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that they removed the offending individuals entire web site. Not only that, but they acted quickly without requiring any further contact with me.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer

#9 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

I like the underlying message here, Mark.  Someone who didn't have to did the right thing.

#10 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Be happy it was Turkey and not China !! But like Tom said, nice to see someone doing the right thing for a change.

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#11 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Be happy it was Turkey and not China !! But like Tom said, nice to see someone doing the right thing for a change.

Today, it's India. http://blogs.rediff....ie-killer-book/

I emailed their "Grievance Officer". Hopefully, they'll pull the page.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer

#12 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Please excuse my technological ignorance. So … do these people somehow fool amazon (or whatever), bypass the payment feature, and obtain an illicit, free copy? Or does this only happen to authors who have offered free downloads of their books in the past for promotional purposes?

Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

#13 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

In my case, someone paid 99¢ or $2.99 (depending when they acquired the file) for my DRM free book at Amazon and then provided it free from their web site. Don't think DRM will protect you, two free python programs easily strip off the DRM protection. I'm not sure what advantage they get from offering my book for free unless they're selling advertising on their website.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer

#14 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

In my case, someone paid 99¢ or $2.99 (depending when they acquired the file) for my DRM free book at Amazon and then provided it free from their web site. Don't think DRM will protect you, two free python programs easily strip off the DRM protection. I'm not sure what advantage they get from offering my book for free unless they're selling advertising on their website.

Mark

How very odd that someone would buy--and then steal. Weird.

Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

#15 DianaR

DianaR

There Be Monsters Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Nothing published yet.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

If they bought it then put it up on their website for free then they were probably using the free download as a means to carry spywear.

"I Love the Fright Life!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users