None of these tickets are wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:self

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I just published with Amazon last month. Looking for ways to promote, link after link I ended up on goodreads.com. I thought to myself, "I should add my book." Well my book was already on there with limited information and no author info except my name. Since I'm not a member at goodreads.com I'm unable to edit my author information. 

So0...

I just ended a free promotion yesterday and went to goodreads to check my status and everything has been updated.  I don't have many readers yet and was just curious about how and why it was submitted to goodreads? I know about Librarian status and what it takes to rate and review, add book/profile info etc...but who would take the time to go to my website and blog and transfer my bio, etc, to goodreads ? Does every published novel land on goodreads.com?

Thank you..

#2 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

This happens quite often. I was waiting to put mine up until I had an official blurb from my publisher, but my book showed up randomly, using my PM announcement as the summary.

#3 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Goodreads maintains/taps into databases of published works (such as amazon, barnes and noble, library of congress, etc). Book info. used to be pulled down from Amazon automatically, but then Amazon stopped that. Now that Amazon has acquired Goodreads, I expect that will start happening again. Most books show up on Goodreads shortly after an ISBN has been assigned. I doubt someone went to your website to get the info. - the info. came from that big ISBN-based database/catalog of books in the sky (but probably via Amazon). Yes, pretty much all published books end up on Goodreads.

Goodreads is EXCELLENT visibility for books/authors and has many good tools for authors; it's definitely worth it as an author to register and use it.

Hope this helps!

--Terri

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#4 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Goodreads is EXCELLENT visibility for books/authors and has many good tools for authors; it's definitely worth it as an author to register and use it.

Hope this helps!

--Terri

As far as I can tell, one must be a published author to have an author page on Goodreads, am I right?

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#5 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

As far as I can tell, one must be a published author to have an author page on Goodreads, am I right?

Sorry, I'm a little confused by what you mean so I hope I'm answering your question correctly - in general (in my experience), people use the term author to mean someone whose work is published (versus a writer who can be either published or unpublished) so if your question is whether or not Goodreads authors page is just for writers who are published, then yes-ish. Many books make it to Goodreads prior to publication date (while they are still in the production queue with the publisher (or author if self-publishing)) so you can have an author page as soon as your book appears on Goodreads, even if it's not yet published (but is in production).

If your question is whether or not authors of self-published works can have an author page, then yes, they can as well.

If your question is whether or not unpublished writers can have an author page, then no (as far as i know - someone correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm not sure why someone would want to. Goodreads is about BOOKS - the most powerful parts of Goodreads for an author are the ability of readers to shelve your book (which allows their friends to see the books they want to read/have read, which is good visibility for the book) and the giveaways (also good visibility/marketing). The author page allows you to see stats of how many people have shelved your book, are currently reading it, and quickly/easily see reviews/ratings, as well as do a giveaway. If someone doesn't have a published work for people to connect with, then a Goodreads author page isn't going to do them much good. However, everyone can still have a regular Goodreads account to use for social networking and to build friends/connections, which can be converted to an author page (and all the connections still kept) once the person becomes published.

LOL - so, I don't know if that answered your question? Hopefully, but if not, let me know! :smile:

--Terri

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#6 Meesha

Meesha

None of these tickets are wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:self

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

The main reason I figured an actual person submitted my info to Goodreads is because there was info about me on Goodreads that isn't available on my website or blog.  So naturally I thought someone had to do some research. So I was scratching my head thinking, "how the heck?" And then about two weeks ago I received this email ..

"Found your book on Amazon and waiting to read it queued up on my Kindle. I put your book info into GoodReads and if you do want to jump in on there, I've set up the profile for you too. The automated author invite is found below if you want to check out your profile. Have a good day and keep on writing!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users