#1 Lori Sjoberg

Lori Sjoberg

Resident pain in the rear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:GRAVE INTENTIONS, GRAVE DESTINATIONS, and GRAVE VENGEANCE are now available from Kensington Publishing.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

I found this article on Dear Author today:

http://dearauthor.co...ordin-williams/

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Oh, I saw that. Wow, did they really think no one would notice?

I can't understand such behavior. If something I put out wasn't my work, I would be ashamed. What would be the point, other than to make $$? 

Heaven knows, most of us don't write just for the money!

#3 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

This mess is spreading like wildfire! Read about that yesterday & seems today there's more fallout. Apparently Amazon's sending out refund for cost of book purchases. I was > :blink:  after reading that post yesterday. 

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#4 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

It's all about the money. NA romances are selling mega hot at the moment, we are talking thousands of dollars a week.

Easy money if you can take a couple of best sellers, slam them together, list for a few weeks and then disappear and do it all over again.

#5 A M Pierre

A M Pierre

Lover of Inanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

It makes me so sad when people do this - especially when it's someone whose work you liked... http://www.guardian....ism-jungle-book

I think the saddest part of that particular story is this quote:  "In fact, it is extremely possible that I have helped myself promiscuously but at present cannot remember from whose stories I have stolen."

#6 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

I the oddest piece of this is that both books are up as Kindle books.  I thought I read that Amazon was taking steps to prevent this kind of plagiarism.  Certainly they own enough computing power to perform some block searches of the work they publish to determine if there are significant duplications.  Not to do so is a great disservice to the legitimate authors they do publish.  One might wish to hold them responsible for supporting the fraud.

#7 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Plagiarism is a serious problem at all levels of the writing industry. I recently called out a columnist for our local newspaper when she plagiarized parts of an article from the Internet. The article had been widely circulated on places like FB and Twitter, so I was shocked to see her use sections of it in her column without any attribution or proper citation. She simply included the passages and made it look like it was her own work.

So I called her on it publicly in the comments section of the paper, placing examples from her column side by side with the original passages. The result? Two readers backed me up, saying they thought she should set a better example as a professional writer. Another half dozen people wrote in and complained that I was being mean to her, that she never asked for a critique. Her response: "I used multiple sources and since this is common knowledge, it's logical that my writing would be similar to other published works."

It wasn't common knowledge, though, not according to standard definitions of the term. How many people know the exact signs of silent drowning? Yet, the article she plagiarized from appeared just one week before her column was published. I must have seen it linked and posted at least 20 times during that week.

I despise plagiarism. It's stealing. Plain and simple.

Jeanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users