Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

I thought we needed something to talk about over here, and since this has been going through my head, I thought I would share.

One of the ideas I got from television (Castle, I think) was this:  

End a scene with one character doing something (like, walking out a door, for example), and then start the next scene with a different character finishing the same task (like coming through a door). Or, end a scene with one character setting down a coffee pot, then switch scenes, time and place, and start with a different character picking up a coffee pot.

I thought this was so great on screen, I wanted to see if I could write an entire book ending and starting each chapter with this trick.  Of course, I wasn't able to. In fact, I think I ended up changing the two chapters where I had accomplished it, for better cliff-hangers, or punchier lines.  But all in all, I think it still worked on paper. 

An idea I got from watching The Mentalist I'm currently incorporating into the series I'm working on.  So far I've divulged this plot line to only two people. One person didn't like the idea at all, while the second person thought it was a great idea. Personally, I think it's going to be awesome, so I'm going for it.

So . . . I was just curious if any of you have tried something you saw on the screen, and felt it just didn't work on paper?

#2 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE, THE HILO HUSTLE, THE PAHALA TWIST, and THE WAIMEA TWO-STEP are available at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and CreateSpace.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

In one chapter of my WIP, I transition from my MC reading extremely fine print on the edge of a tin sign to another character reading fine print on a metal plate affixed to the side of a piece of brewing equipment. I thought it turned out kinda cool. I;ve probably done stuff liek this before but didn't realize it at the time.

#3 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm actually doing this in my new wip. A candle is blown out & next scene begins with one being lit. 

But one thing I also like to do is take a chapter in the beginning & link 2 seemingly unrelated events to one another, but at end of the first chap, you see the link. 

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#4 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

See now, Joey, that sounds like fun. Both for you as the writer, and the reader.

#5 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Thought I might bring this one back up because it is an intriguing idea. I have done this in my book, per se, but I have used the idea of seeing things from different perspectives. In one chapter I close with a light turning off, and in the next I have my protagonist watching the light go out. I think it can add to the creepiness factor for the reader knowing the bad guy is so close. Just my humble $.02

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#6 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

I can see the creepiness factor in that, Andrew.

I just managed another one of these tricks - this one not for the creepy factor, but for humor.

I finished a chapter with one character (Ava) asking (Ethan) a question.  The scene takes place with the two stranded on a mountain in the rockies. I then start the next chapter with another character (Alaina) answering that question, but she is answering a completely different character (Caden) and they are safe in their home in Boulder. Completely different scenes - time, place and people. I just thought it would be fun to slip in, and it was.

#7 Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Perfect Pawn (10/2013)
    Queen's Gambit (03/2014)

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

I like it Gina, it has an interesting twist that I think readers can appreciate. 

Blog: http://andrewgnelson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @Andrew_G_Nelson

Facebook: https://www.facebook...drewGNelson2001

Goodreads: https://www.goodread...Andrew_G_Nelson

Perfect Pawn and Queen's Gambit are now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and KOBO.

PP_Cover_Small%2528thumb%2529.jpg

#8 spencer_lackey

spencer_lackey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I recently self-published my first novel, THE DEADLY UNICORN: A WEIRD CITY MYSTERY, which you can purchase in print or for kindle at amazon.com/author/spencerlackey. It would be much appreciated. You can also like me at facebook.com/thespencerlackey.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

Just a thought regarding the concept of ending one chapter with an action and then starting the next by reversing the action (or vice versa): what if you wrote a story showing the hero and villain living opposite yet parallel lives?  You could use this technique to show how they're eerily similar in certain ways yet drastically different in the choices that they make.  It could be as extreme as showing the hero save someone's life at the end of chapter one and then opening chapter two with the villain committing a murder. 

It's a fun concept to play with.  Thanks for bringing it up, Gina.  I too am a big Castle fan, by the way!

#9 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Who doesn't like Castle, I want to know.  LOL

Very interesting concept Spencer. I think you should do an entire story that way. It would be a great challenge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users