32 replies to this topic

#21 clynnc

clynnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write reviews for VOYA magazine.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

It's been a long time since this thread was active, but I have discovered another question as I've been working on my novel:

What was the medicine parents and grandparents were so fond of giving their kids during the 40's and possibly the 50's?  I think they give it to the little boy on A Christmas Story.  I believe it's some sort of oil.  Cod Liver Oil?  I'm not sure.  All I can find is camphor, but I don't believe it was administered orally.  Anyone have any memories of medicines routinely given to them as children (in the 40's/50's) that were thought to be cure-alls?

Any help would be good.  Thanks!

I like pithy quotes, but sometimes they get stuck in my teeth.

www.cherylclarkwrites.com

@clynncok

#22 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Cod liver oil. And my mother used to talk about people mustard packs to help with congestion (an early home remedy similar to Vicks Vapo Rub).

Jeanne

#23 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of a five book cozy mystery series -- the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series -- with Crooked Lane Books. Books one, two, and three out now, book four out Jan. 2020. New mystery series -- the Booklovers B&B series -- contracted with Crooked Lane for future publication.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yep, and castor oil. Castor Oil was for constipation -- http://en.wikipedia....stor_oil [/url]

Cod liver oil was used to supplement vitamin D (so kids didn't get rickets) -- http://en.wikipedia....i/Cod_liver_oil

#24 Yvette

Yvette

Chocoholic-in-Residence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

That wasn't just during the 40s and 50s, by the way. My mother used to give it to us. That was the 80s. Ugh  :wacko:

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” --Winston Churchill

#25 clynnc

clynnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, Jeanne, LucidDreamer, and Yvette!  Thanks especially to you, LucidDreamer, for the links!

@clynncok

#26 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

Mustn't forget iodine and Mercurochrome for fighting against infection in a cut.  The iodine stun Mercurochrome didn't but was therefor less trusted by my parents who felt if it didn't sting it might not be working.

Suntan oils didn't really protect your skin but were supposed to prevent burning and encourage tanning.  I'm trying to think of the name of the brand (still exists I think) which always pictured a little girl whose white bottom was being exposed as a puppy pulled off her pants. 

#27 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Coppertone. Baby oil was also very popular with the sunbathing girls.

Jeanne

#28 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Author of a five book cozy mystery series -- the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series -- with Crooked Lane Books. Books one, two, and three out now, book four out Jan. 2020. New mystery series -- the Booklovers B&B series -- contracted with Crooked Lane for future publication.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

And I believe Jodie Foster was one of first Coppertone "babies" in the TV ads. She was 3 or something. :smile:

#29 dennism

dennism

The World's Foremost Expert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self published "Runaway!" in 2011, paperback and Kindle, about a runaway slave boy, aka my petite opus. Publishing pre-experience: Profane Fire at the Altar of the Lord, aka my magnum opus. Nearly complete: a comic raunchy crime noir novella set in south Louisiana, aka my opus ridiculum.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

Vicks and Mentholatum were common topical oinkments.

#30 clynnc

clynnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

I have another very specific question about the early fifties.  The word "swell" was still used to denote something good, right?  I was wondering if people used the word "super" as well.  I have found countless lists of slang from the 50's online, but I think a lot of the words came from the mid to late 50's and I am seeking slang from the early 50's in particular.  I found the word "cool," for instance, but I doubt that was in use in the early 50's.  Does anyone know of any other slang words for "good" that were used during the early 50's?

Also, is there other slang particular to that time that I should be aware of?  Does anyone know of any online lists that are more year specific rather than decade specific.  (I know that's a tall order considering that it is difficult to narrow slang down to a particular year.)  Or does anyone know of any websites I can go to and find out the origin of slang terms, that would pinpoint how and why a slang term emerged?

Thanks to you helpful folks out there!

@clynncok

#31 Backpocket

Backpocket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Business books, John Wiley & Sons, Praeger Special Studies

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

clynnc, here are a couple of websites with 1950s slang:

http://pleasantview1...play&thread=233
This one is especially helpful because they give examples of the use of the slang terms in sentences.

http://www.vintageal...950s-slang.html
Site with a long list of terms. It includes links to YouTube videos from the 50s where you can hear how people spoke.

The YouTube idea might help you the most. You could search YouTube for "1950s TV shows" and watch a few to observe the speech. You could narrow your search to shows from 1950-1953. I don't know if there are 1950s radio shows on YouTube but you could check for those too.

"Cool" dates back to at least 1947, so the word would have been in use in 1953. The term "cool" is supposed to have been coined in the 1940s by jazz musicians.

I didn't see any slang lists that included the word "super" as a word for "good" in the 50s.

To search for the origin of a specific slang word, just search Google. For example, I used the search term "When was the slang term cool first used."

#32 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hmm.  I don 't think 50's TV shows come close to how people really spoke.  Mass media generally have tended make us all speak and act more alike as time goes on, but that process wasn't well advanced during the 50's

#33 clynnc

clynnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

A big thanks to Backpocket for the response (hmmm...my curiosity is evoked.  What exactly is in your backpocket, pal?).  And thanks also to Tom Preece for the perspective.

@clynncok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users