(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Oh lord no. Arkansas is definitely not part of the South. It's the mid-west, all the way!

LMAO  Don't know who you're fooling.  I graduated in NW Arkansas.  Our mascot was Jonny Reb (a confederate soldier) and every game was covered with Rebel Flags.  We consider ourselves South.  Always have.  Always will.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#63 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

LMAO  Don't know who you're fooling.  I graduated in NW Arkansas.  Our mascot was Jonny Reb (a confederate soldier) and every game was covered with Rebel Flags.  We consider ourselves South.  Always have.  Always will.

Thank you!

Find ARTIFICIAL on Goodreads and Amazon!

#64 LeavingMonteCarlo

LeavingMonteCarlo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

Well, coming from a Californian who lived in the South for three years, there's four things your character must learn right away.  Understand the concepts of "Thank you, please, excuse me, and may I".  In Georgia, Florida, SC, NC, cursing is actually frowned upon. Plus, being since your character is from Texas, they're isn't much difference.  Especially if they're from Brady, Rochelle, etc.     Dallas and SA are much different. My experience.

#65 allismith

allismith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Read Charlaine Harris' books!  The Sookie Stackhouse series is based in Louisiana and she has great Southern sayings in there!  The main character is a twenty-something small town barmaid with quite the personality, so she's full of fun little Southern charms.  

If you don't have time for all of that, here are a few things I can think of...

Born and raised in Texas, it's hard to pinpoint the difference already engrained in my head, but I'll try :)

--Drop "g"s on all "---ing" words

--"Ya'll" - "you all" substitutions

--Rodeo and country music are big interests

--Southern men are taught to open all women's doors, no matter their age

--Be polite!  "yes sir" "yes ma'am"   lots of "please"s and "thank you"s

--When in middle school, pretty much everyone learns how to two-step at the dances people have for their birthdays (this was the nineties for me, so I don't know how much that has changed.  She probably knows how to two-step, regardless.)

--things are bigger in Texas... the houses, the jacked-up trucks that high school boys dream of, and yes, the hair

--the older generation is still a bit racist

--Austin is the most liberal town in all of Texas, accepting anyone and everyone

--the more rural you go, expect the people to be more religious and more close-minded to politics (sorry, but it's true)

--They will NEVER ask for a "pop" or a "soda."  Sometimes they will ask for a "coke" but that doesn't mean Coke... it means either a Dr. Pepper (most likely), a Pepsi, or an actual Coke.  Sorry, that's confusing, but it's accurate.  If they don't ask for "coke" they will be specific about the soft drink

--they love sweet ice tea... this is the go-to drink of choice and quite a Southern trait, so it would say a lot about your character if this is her drink of choice

--mention the Alamo, because it's Texas' favorite historical claim

The Texas Gulf Coast (where your character grew up) is a big deal for Texans, since it's their beach.  Port Aransas, on Mustang Island just south of Corpus Christi, is where my family spend every other summer vacationing.  The water is murky and the sand always has seaweed, but to Texans, it's wonderful (probably because they haven't been to FL, etc).  Watch out for the jelly fish on the beach!  And every year, there is a huge Spring Break bash on South Padre Island (if that fits into your story anywhere).

If I think of more, I will repost.  I hope this helps!

#66 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE, THE HILO HUSTLE, THE PAHALA TWIST, and THE WAIMEA TWO-STEP are available at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and CreateSpace.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

If you visit the Alamo, be sure to genuflect before you enter. Otherwise, a friendly DRT Ranger will tap you on the shoulder and say, "Excuse me, sir, but we'd appreciate it most kindly if you'd show proper reverence and respect for the brave men who laid down their lives on this spot in the name of Texas freedom." Or something like that. And for God's sake, do not wear a hat inside. You will again receive a pleasant reminder that to do so is unacceptable.

Texans love being Texans, and will remind you of that fact every forty-eight seconds, give or take a couple. Also, based on my experience, Texans do not consider themselves "southerners." Never mind slavery, secession, and segregation.

I also found Texans to be hopelessly polite, but only to a certain point. As one gentleman I met here in Vegas explained to me, as we were preparing to move to San Antonio: "They are incredibly nice people but it ends here (he hooked a thumb inside his upper teeth). That's because you will never be one of them. You will always be a Yankee, no matter how long you live there." Which for us was three years. And it turns out he was right.

I admit I liked to mess with Texans when speaking. For example, a lady called my office one day asking directions from somewhere to the San Antonio Riverwalk. I explained, knowing full well what I was doing, "Well, ma'am, first you take the 281 then you take the 10 to the..." using the West Coast-speak "the" to name freeways, instead of referring to them as IH-10 or Route Whatever. Even over the phone, I could tell she thought I was speaking something other than English.

--mention the Alamo, because it's Texas' favorite historical claim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users